Apple spotlights iPad Pro, Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X in music & theater education

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2019
In what Apple is calling a first in a series of looks at innovative technology use in the classroom, the company is highlighting how its products are used for production of music and theater at the Huntington Beach Academy for the Performing Arts.

Backstage at Huntington Beach
Backstage at Huntington Beach

Huntington Beach Academy for the Performing Arts has developed a Music, Media and Entertainment Technology (MMET) program. The program is incorporated into nine of APA's available theater and music majors, giving students hands-on training in fields including theater tech, audio recording and video production using Logic Pro X and Final Cut Pro X.

As part of the program, the school houses a recording studio with a guitar room, and several other collaborative music creation spaces the students are encouraged to use whenever they feel inspired. In the school's auditorium, students use a Yamaha CL5 digital mixer for monitoring and controlling sound levels around the theater -- all controlled on an iPad Pro.

iPad Pro used for audio control in the auditorium
iPad Pro used for audio control in the auditorium

"It was imperative to let the students create a show that they wanted," said Apple Distinguished Educator (ADE) alum Jamie Knight. "We have all the student leaders break the kids into groups of like five or six kids and the simple instruction is pick 10 songs that you would die to perform live, that are new. Then the student producers narrow those songs down, and the kids that like to write songs audition for the staff."

Fifteen years after establishment, the program has grown to include 152 students majoring in MMET Popular Music and MMET Media. Students are using Apple hardware and software to write their own music, arrange songs, and perform live in three major shows a year.

"We don't just focus on the technology," Knight said. "It's that performing arts experience that gives them leadership skills, confidence, team work, all of those soft skills that businesses want. You have to perform to get that, and then when you marry that with the technology and you give the kids the ability to have a real recording studio to work with, they're going to be the next Steven Spielberg, or the next Paul McCartney."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Logic is such an amazing deal. $3,000 worth of software for $199!
    What a deal coming from a "greedy" company.

Does anyone know if Camel Crusher has been ported to Logic after the Camel Audio acquisition? Because the original plugin has been discontinued and I cannot find its equivalent in Logic.
    lolliver
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    Agreed. It’s a great piece of software that keeps getting better. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Before there was music production software, there were composers writing out scores by hand on paper. The music which came out of such primitive circumstances continues to impact people all over the world hundreds of years later. I don’t see the same future for Skrillex or Justin Bieber or Lil Pump.
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Before there was music production software, there were composers writing out scores by hand on paper. The music which came out of such primitive circumstances continues to impact people all over the world hundreds of years later. I don’t see the same future for Skrillex or Justin Bieber or Lil Pump.
    A fair observation by not all contemporary music is junk.  Perhaps longevity has as much to do with slow release as quality, after all, for centuries much classical music was elitist and beyond the reach of the population.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    RhythmagicRhythmagic Posts: 63unconfirmed, member
    I miss those discs lol #oldschool
  • Reply 6 of 8

Does anyone know if Camel Crusher has been ported to Logic after the Camel Audio acquisition? Because the original plugin has been discontinued and I cannot find its equivalent in Logic.
    Where does the $3,000 value come from? If I look at competitors, they nearly don’t charge that much.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

Where does the $3,000 value come from? If I look at competitors, they nearly don’t charge that much.

If you're familiar with Logics history.

Originally Logic was only used in high end studios. It costed $1,500 with an extra plugins add-on for $500. Apple bought the company and dropped the price tremendously and bundled in the $500 add-ons.
    Logic+Extra Plugins now bundled for $500

Later Apple bought Camel Audio which sold its revered Alchemy for $249 and extra sound packs at $59 each. Apple also baked in other Camel Audio plugins.
    Apple then dropped the price again.
    Logic+Alchemy+Extra sound packs now bundled for $199

I'm sure there's more I'm missing and I hope Apple acquires more plugin and instrument companies. A wet dream would be Apple acquiring Waves and tossing them in for free or as an extra $500 add on. Waves charges about $1500 for their suite of plugins.

Apple now provides updates for FREE. Most companies will charge you $200 for an update. If you add that to the value then yeah it gets nice.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    newvideoaznewvideoaz Posts: 15unconfirmed, member
    hexclock said:
    Agreed. It’s a great piece of software that keeps getting better. 
    Uh, if you’re a student, that $199 will get you a whole lot more than Logic!
    The Apple Education bundle is still available for $199 and represents INSANE value. It contains fully-licensed versions of the Apple Pro Apps software. 

Google “Apple Education Bundle” and you find:

——
    The bundle launched in the U.S. earlier in February, and wraps up all of Apple's professional audio and video editing apps for the Mac, including Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4, and MainStage 3. 

The collection's $199.99 U.S. pricetag is over $425 less than Apple would normally charge. In the U.S., all faculty and staff at U.S educational institutions all the way from kindergarten through college qualify, plus college students.