Lutron ships Smart Fan Speed Control with Apple HomeKit

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2019
The Casta by Lutron Fan Speed Control with HomeKit support has just been made available, letting people upgrade their ceiling fans without having to pay hundreds of dollars for a new model.

Lutron Smart Fan Speed Control

The accessory replaces an existing wall switch. Owners can't change fan direction, and have to buy a separate Lutron control for any attached lighting, but they can turn a fan on and off and choose from four different speeds.

Lutron Smart Fan Speed Control

Automation requires owning Lutron's Smart Bridge, which enables not just HomeKit but Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Nest, and Lutron's iOS app. Connected fans can be integrated into scenes and automations, for example turning on when a thermostat detects a high room temperature.

Lutron originally said that HomeKit would debut sometime after Alexa and Google Assistant, but all three options are ready to go.

AppleInsider went hands-on with the Lutron Smart Fan Controller during CES 2019 and found it easy to use though there is no light integration which would require a separate switch of its own.

The Casta by Lutron Fan Speed Control costs $59.95 on its own. A Pico remote is an additional $29.95, and a matching wallplate is $3.96.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    What’s this? A HomeKit product released soon after being announced? Bravo Lutron! Take note MIA Ring.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    mmm... I am interested in this. I'd like to see this all done automatically and talking to the ecobee to give maximum efficiency between the AC system and the fans such as when to suck and when to blow (the fan direction).
    edited March 2019 leftoverbaconwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    nguyenhm16nguyenhm16 Posts: 203member
    Finally. Had switched to Lutron Caseta a while ago, it works really well with HomeKit, and have been wanting something to control my fans for as long as I've used the Caseta system.
    rainmakerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    It’s taken awhile but HomeKit compatibility is becoming a de facto feature requirement for smart devices.
    lolliverjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Lutron HomeKit accessories are by far the buggiest and most unreliable out of any HomeKit accessory.  I wouldn’t install this even if it was free. 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    flydog said:
    Lutron HomeKit accessories are by far the buggiest and most unreliable out of any HomeKit accessory.  I wouldn’t install this even if it was free. 
    For me it’s the opposite, I have the least problems with Lutron, almost non-existent. I have many more issues with iDevices and Honeywell. I have about 20 Hue bulbs and one is constantly giving me a hard time. But I can’t remember the last time I had an issue with any Lutron devices. They respond almost instantly to HomeKit requests via Siri and very reliably in my Scenes, Automations and Shortcuts. The Lutron accessories work so well I forget about them, and that’s a compliment. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Will there be an option for those of us that don't have a hard-wired switch for our fans? Something like a universal wireless HomeKit replacement kit? Yes, I'd have to disassemble my fans a little but that's cheaper than replacing them. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    clegercleger Posts: 17member
    flydog said:
    Literally everyone on reddit and other forums disagree. Lutron has it together with their HomeKit integration (Besides lack of pico’s being exposed to HomeKit).  But for real you need to figure out what is causing the issues because lutron is by far the most stable device ever. Not just coming from me. 
    lolliverrainmakerjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    flydog said:
    Sorry that you’ve had trouble with them; Lutron has been rock solid in my house.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    I have a older house and so light switches went to a power outlet to be used for a Floor lamp for example. Who does that anymore? So after I got my house I ended up installing Hunter Fans right Lights in rooms that had NO ceiling lights. Let me tell you, that wasn't easy. I have a really low slop roof. I can barely on my stomach, Get up into the attic from the master bedroom, make a quick 90, and can go about half way down my house on my stomach in the middle. It was a lot of fishing the power cables where I needed to go to the 3 back bedrooms. I ran power right to the fans. There was no way I was going to be able to run power to outlets on the wall to control them.

So all my Fans are Remote Controlled. The Remotes hang on the wall where the switch normally would be. But I can take them and place them anywhere. When I go to bed, I grab the remote and place it on the bedside table. I can turn the light off at night in bed, and back on in the morning. Sometimes it's nice to control the fan speed during the warmer months. That rules out this type of switch.. Now if Hunter who makes my fans came out with a replacement remote control unit I can swap out form the ones I put in that also allowed Homekit control, that would be great. Having Voice control of the fan from one of my Homepod's. Being able to have my light come on all on it's own in the morning to help wake me up. Another light I can use to turn on/off at random times for Home Security while away on a trip maybe. I have this small device with different colored lights that simulate the TV being on. Looking at the blinds outside, it does look like the TV is on. I'll pull it out and connect it to a timer. One of the things I do to make it look like someone is home when I'm on a vacation. Something I rarely do.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I'm looking forward to this, but need to run new line to two of my three fans (they are literally using one wire... it's an old house).
    flydog said:
    Another dissenting voice—Lutron has been excellent in my 92-year-old house. Hue will flake out here and there, iDevices has been an absolute joke, and Eve gives me issues if it's too far from the home hub (a HomePod in the center of the house). Lutron has given me proper coverage across the entire house and has not failed for me.
    MacPro said:
    mmm... I am interested in this. I'd like to see this all done automatically and talking to the ecobee to give maximum efficiency between the AC system and the fans such as when to suck and when to blow (the fan direction).
    That would be ideal, but most of what I've read says it's best to run fans when people are present—no need for them running when they aren't. So you're likely better having the ecobee turn it on when it senses motion in the room (which an automation can already do). As for changing direction: Isn't that a hard switch on most fans? I don't think I've ever seen that remotely controlled (plus, most only change directions twice a year).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    When the device requires a separate bridge I move on. I have bulbs and wall outlet controllers all compatible with Siri/Homekit. It can be done. Why all the extra hardware?
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra