Rival streaming services could push Disney CEO Bob Iger off Apple's board

Posted:
in General Discussion
Plans by Apple and Disney to launch rival video streaming services this year could potentially sever the companies' long-standing ties in the boardroom.

Corporations are more powerful than governments

Of concern is Disney CEO Bob Iger, who has sat on the Apple board since 2011, Bloomberg noted. Iger might be asked to exit if Apple is concerned he could learn the company's video strategy, or simply act against that segment's interests.

Apple and Disney have recent "arms-length commercial dealings," according to proxy filings, including digital content licensing. So far though Apple says Iger doesn't have "a material direct or indirect interest" in those agreements.

The unnamed Apple service should be revealed at a March 25 press event and launch later this year, possibly as late as the summer or fall. The company is expected to mix original shows and movies with subscriptions to third-party services like HBO.

Disney, meanwhile, is aiming to premiere "Disney+" closer toward the end of 2019. It could pose a serious threat to Apple, since Disney owns not just its namesake shows and movies but entities like ABC, Marvel, Lucasfilm, and Pixar, giving it a massive catalog, not counting future exclusives.

Apple co-founder Steve Jobs once sat on Disney's board of directors, a result of his controlling interest in Pixar at the time of Disney's takeover. That made him Disney's largest individual shareholder, and the two companies have regularly scratched each other's backs -- Apple, for example, frequently uses Disney properties in its marketing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Ummm so Bloomberg(!) thinks something and it's news? No indication he will be kicked off. Maybe they'll work together. 

I definitely think Iger is the best person on the board and he should succeed Cook.
    ArloTimetraveler
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Ummm so Bloomberg(!) thinks something and it's news? No indication he will be kicked off. Maybe they'll work together. 

I definitely think Iger is the best person on the board and he should succeed Cook.
    What do you mean by "succeed Cook"? The only reason Tim Cook succeeded Jobs is because Jobs was becoming terminally ill. 
    StrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 3 of 9

[This is a reused statement from another posting. I felt like it fit the article]

Could someone please provide something that Bloomberg has gotten right about Apple that was original? Let’s not forget the spy chip on Apple servers fairy tale. Bloomberg is following the Mark Zuckerberg news approach.

AppleExposedSpamSandwichStrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 4 of 9
    HenryDJP said:

What do you mean by "succeed Cook"? The only reason Tim Cook succeeded Jobs is because Jobs was becoming terminally ill. 
    As in next guy. Tim doesn't have to be dying you know. 
  • Reply 5 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Bloomberg is full of it. When there are discussions which involve competing services, Iger would simply leave the room. Not news.
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 9
    trashman69trashman69 Posts: 161member
    Both companies seem to be pushing the same liberal agenda theme in their content.  So they will be competitors 
    in that aspect.

also, Steve Jobs got Eric Schmidt, kicked off apple’s board because of android (back in the early days of iPhone)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Rival? Is Disney going to host non-Disney content on their service?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Both companies seem to be pushing the same liberal agenda theme in their content.  So they will be competitors 
    in that aspect.

also, Steve Jobs got Eric Schmidt, kicked off apple’s board because of android (back in the early days of iPhone)

Eric completely stole iPhone to make knockoffs called android. Way different. What reason does Iger have to be kicked off? I think they benefit each other. Although I admit Samsung getting Disney content was sh**.
    lolliver
  • Reply 9 of 9

I'm intrigued by Apple's foray into video content. I am willing to give it a shot.

Disney, on the other hand, nope! Not interested in any of their content, save probably for their Micky and Donald shorts from the '40s. I find Disney products overpriced and am not a fan of their content either. Just my opinion, though.

edited March 2019