Sonos One 'Gen 2' smartspeaker has upgraded internals, same exterior design [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2019
Starting Thursday Sonos will sell a revised "Gen 2" model of its AirPlay 2-compatible One smartspeaker, largely similar to the original but better futureproofed. [Corrected with Thursday launch date]

Sonos One

The new model will have a faster processor and extra memory, Sonos told The Verge. The company didn't say why enhanced performance was needed, but it regularly introduces new features through software updates, some of which are incompatible with older speakers. AirPlay 2, for example, won't work with some Sonos models unless a recent device like the One or Beam is on the same network.

Another Gen 2 upgrade is Bluetooth Low Energy. This makes initial setup easier, since Gen 1 models require iPhones and iPads to temporarily switch Wi-Fi networks.

Still missing from the speaker is Google Assistant support, due sometime in 2019. The product launched with Amazon Alexa in 2017, but was always intended to support all three major voice assistants.

The Gen 2 will sell for $199 at Sonos and participating retailers. Remaining Gen 1 units will sell at a $20 discount.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    My main concern with Sonos isn’t quality it’s data slurping...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mylovinomylovino Posts: 22member
    I can only repeat what I posted in a reply to another article: besides the well known issues with Siri and in my test with 2 HomePods desastrous stereo mode (one of them when switching during a test between B&W Zeppelin, Sonos Play:5, and HomePods constantly losing connection), it would take me a lot of convincing to test the HomePod again. Apple has just lost its edge in some areas, quality is just not as it is supposed to be. And I am saying this as one who uses Apple a LOT both professionally and privately. It seems that the engineers for both hard- and software are just not testing in real life scenarios and in competative situations. E.g. run a test yourself and compare the B&W Zeppelin (less than 2 HomePods pricewise) with a 2 HomePod setup. I listen to music carefully, but am not one of these high end gurus. But it is obvious, at least in my view, that the HonePod seems to try to compensate mid-range frequency issues with a strong bass. But though the B&W Zeppelin is also very strong in the bass range, which is naturally a personal preference if you like it or not, it is overall more homogeneous across all frequencies.

I probably would have considered to keep the HomePods given its integration with the Apple ecosystem, but all the other quality issues have made the choice easy for me. But test yourself, I just might have had bad luck...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    mylovino said:
    I can only repeat what I posted in a reply to another article: besides the well known issues with Siri and in my test with 2 HomePods desastrous stereo mode (one of them when switching during a test between B&W Zeppelin, Sonos Play:5, and HomePods constantly losing connection), it would take me a lot of convincing to test the HomePod again. Apple has just lost its edge in some areas, quality is just not as it is supposed to be. And I am saying this as one who uses Apple a LOT both professionally and privately. It seems that the engineers for both hard- and software are just not testing in real life scenarios and in competative situations. E.g. run a test yourself and compare the B&W Zeppelin (less than 2 HomePods pricewise) with a 2 HomePod setup. I listen to music carefully, but am not one of these high end gurus. But it is obvious, at least in my view, that the HonePod seems to try to compensate mid-range frequency issues with a strong bass. But though the B&W Zeppelin is also very strong in the bass range, which is naturally a personal preference if you like it or not, it is overall more homogeneous across all frequencies.

I probably would have considered to keep the HomePods given its integration with the Apple ecosystem, but all the other quality issues have made the choice easy for me. But test yourself, I just might have had bad luck...
    I think you just had bad luck. I have two HomePods and have gone through two HomePod defective returns. They would lose connection to wifi and then I wouldn't be able to get them to connect again event after a reset. Fortunately, the two replacements I now have are performing great. No issue stereo pairing or anything. They sound awesome. I also have two Sonos Ones. They are great too but on occasion, I will have some audio dropouts. They sound great but I would rank HomePod just a bit better.
    AppleExposedcaladanian
  • Reply 4 of 8
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I wonder how long till the gen 2 HomePod?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Only complaint with Sonos One is that AirPlay2 audio from a source like AppleTV cuts out constantly to the point of useless. 

Probably the updated hardware fixes that issue. Maybe they should be recalled. 
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mcbanjomcbanjo Posts: 11member
    Hopefully the Gen 2 actually works with Airplay 2 properly. Mine goes out of sync constantly if I'm playing music all over my unit. The rest of my Airport Express devices, HomePod, AV Receiver and Mac are fine.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I haven't extensively listened to my Sonos One via Airplay.  I wouldn't be surprised if Gen 2 hardware changes improve network performance.   I'm not overly concerned with my existing units my next goal is to grab a couple of Play 5 and a Sonos Sub.  Then I may look at Gen 2.  

• Reply 8 of 8
    mylovinomylovino Posts: 22member
    mistergsf said:
    mylovino said:

I think you just had bad luck. I have two HomePods and have gone through two HomePod defective returns. They would lose connection to wifi and then I wouldn't be able to get them to connect again event after a reset. Fortunately, the two replacements I now have are performing great. No issue stereo pairing or anything. They sound awesome. I also have two Sonos Ones. They are great too but on occasion, I will have some audio dropouts. They sound great but I would rank HomePod just a bit better.
    Thanks for the feedback. I was just so disappointed, was yet just another disappointment regarding quality after some other bad hard- and software experience with Apple. Think I just wait for the next generation... Just retired (with a bleeding heart) my Apple Watch Series 0 to replace it with a Series 4 model, and it really is the watch it was supposed to be from day 1. So hope is still up that they finally get the speaker right, too ;-)