Fitbit challenging Apple Watch with $160 Versa Lite smartwatch, new Inspire & Ace 2 fitnes...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    FitBit is still around?

Someone would be crazy to buy from a dead-man-walking company.

History repeats.

The first company to copy Apple beats all others.

Mac - Windows
    iPod - Zune was too late and slightly original  so Apple got 70% market share
    iPhone - Android
    iPad - Android
    Watch - Fitbit

Next:

Unless someone makes a bigger ripoff it seems GalaxyPods may be the knockoff of AirPods but we haven't gotten that close unless you count SoundMates which is indeed selling a lot of AirPod knockoffs.

Interestingly, none of these examples show where the competing device manufacturers make a profit. Apple takes all of the industry profits even when they have less than 20% of the market. Companies are started to make a profit not pound their chest as market share kings. High market share with low or now profit is unsustainable. This is why many companies go out of business unless they have another money maker. Like Google and Search.  Android makes them less money than IPhone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member
    FitBit is still around?

History repeats.

Mac - Windows
    iPhone - Android
    iPad - Android
    Watch - Fitbit

Next:

Unless someone makes a bigger ripoff it seems GalaxyPods may be the knockoff of AirPods but we haven't gotten that close unless you count SoundMates which is indeed selling a lot of AirPod knockoffs.

Fitbit didn't copy the Apple Watch. If anything, they copied the Pebble (a company that they eventually bought), and Apple copied Pebble. There were smart watches long before the Apple Watch. 
  • Reply 23 of 44
    tylersdad said:
    tylersdad said:
    My wife and I both have Versa SE (with NFC payments). They do exactly what we want them to do and nothing more. I bought two for what one Apple Watch Series 3 would cost. I don't really care that it doesn't have GPS. I take my phone with me when I exercise, so I'm fine with the Versa using the GPS on my phone...which has a much stronger battery. When you run with an Apple Watch and have your phone with you, it uses the iPhone GPS and there's no way to prevent it from using the GPS on the phone unless you shut off GPS on your phone. 

I'm sure the Apple Watch is really great for some people. For people like me, it's overkill. 
    Get one with LTE + GPS and you won't have to worry about a big, heavy, bulky iPhone bouncing around in your pocket or strapped to your arm.
    Yes, by all means, @tylersdad should spend 5 times as much for functionality he doesn't need, to get the same convenience he has right now.

Apple Watch is a superb device.  It does not, however, meet the needs or desires of absolutely everyone on the planet, and there's not a damned thing wrong with that state of affairs.
    LOL. Since I had to by TWO devices, it would be more like 10x as much. :)
    Well, no.  It still would have only been 5 times as much.  1 Watch versus 1 fitbit is 500+ versus 100.  2 Watches versus 2 fitbits is 1000+ versus 200.  Still a factor of 5.
    anantksundaramlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 44
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    tylersdad said:
    FitBit is still around?

History repeats.

Mac - Windows
    iPhone - Android
    iPad - Android
    Watch - Fitbit

Next:

Fitbit didn't copy the Apple Watch. If anything, they copied the Pebble (a company that they eventually bought), and Apple copied Pebble. There were smart watches long before the Apple Watch. 

You're really gonna just make crap up? (I should have stopped reading before he said Apple copied Pebble! LMAO!!)

Fitbit originally made bands. Those are going away in favor of the Apple Watch design and functionality.

Here's the origin of the Watch from 2010 by the way:

Older OS. Same philosophy and goals. Same company. Just pre-mature.
    edited March 2019 anantksundaramlolliverStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 44
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    FitBit is still around?

Very much so.   My friend wants one but does not want a "Big Bullky Apple Watch strapped to my wrist"
    Instead, she wants a slim, sleek FitBit that tracks her steps -- just like all her friends have.

The Apple Watch is a truly exceptional and great product on par with anything Apple has ever made.   But, it can't compete with the slim, sleek looks of the FitBit.
    The stock was selling for $48 in mid-2015. It’s at $6 now (bottoming our at $4.50 last October). So yeah, DMW. 

You call that eewwww picture of the new FitBit above “slim, sleek”?

Ok, whatever...
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 44
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member

You're really gonna just make crap up? (I should have stopped reading before he said Apple copied Pebble! LMAO!!)

Fitbit originally made bands. Those are going away in favor of the Apple Watch design and functionality.

Give me a break. The Pebble came out and was available for sale in 2013. The Apple Watch not until 2015. Those design mock-ups are pretty. They were also proprietary, so there's no way Pebble could've copied them. 

Pebble was the first widely available smart watch. Apple did not create this market. 
  • Reply 27 of 44
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    tylersdad said:

Give me a break. The Pebble came out and was available for sale in 2013. The Apple Watch not until 2015. Those design mock-ups are pretty. They were also proprietary, so there's no way Pebble could've copied them. 

Pebble was the first widely available smart watch. Apple did not create this market. 

No one said Pebble copied these.

These aren't "mock ups" buddy.....
    lolliverStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Aahhh... Apple Watch versus Fitibit a discussion I have been having within my family recently....

My path to Fitibit came from pretty humble requirements. If I roll back the years for a number of years prior to getting a Fitbit, I had an old style pedometer on my belt and was using a Sleep Tracking / Silent Alarm triggered using Sleep Cycles system. The two together worked well. I had an App which allowed me to record my daily steps and the Sleep System had an App for tracking that information.

But, the Sleep system was purely online and they went bust. Looking around I found that Fitbit was the best replacement I could get for Sleep Tracking (without needing to fit something to my head, it was 2012 so the current bed systems did not exist) and it also modernised my pedometer. Great! Tow birds, one stone and all that.

Fast forward a few years, and I have been considering an Apple Watch on and off and each time my usage of Fitbit means that it doesn't quite feel like the fit I need. We have been discussing it within the family as well and we keep coming to the same result. Stick with Fitbit while we can and wait and watch Apple.

So, what do I feel the Apple Watch is missing.

1. Sleep Monitoring - This was my primary reason for getting into Fitbit and to leave it for a device without this capability makes not sense. With the acquisition of Bedit maybe this is just around the corner.
    2. All Day Wear - My sister would be happy for the Apple Watch to get a battery life so she could wear it all day. I know that for me the longer the better but I can live within its current levels.
    3. Cheap Knockabout Heath Monitoring - I wear a Fitbit 24/7. My Ionic (I actually like the 1980s Cheap SciFi look) during the day. A Charge 2 overnight for Sleep Monitoring and sometimes during the day when I am doing activities which I feel might not be appropriate for my Ionic. A Charge for mowing and other really knockabout activities. I just cannot see myself wearing an Apple Watch during those periods where the watch could get damaged, covered in chemicals and other garbage. It feels like too expensive a cost to treat in that manner.

It's actually a real shame Fitbit and Apple never got it together to allow for users to co-exist in their eco-systems. As much as the Ionic does everything I need. I could have replaced it with an Apple Watch if the Apple Data could be synced to Fitbit with the required granularity and then the cheap knockabout trackers from Fitbit for Sleep and other Activities again syncing with the required granularity to Apple.

I guess I'll just have to wait a bit longer to see how this plays out.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tylersdad said:
    My wife and I both have Versa SE (with NFC payments). They do exactly what we want them to do and nothing more. I bought two for what one Apple Watch Series 3 would cost. I don't really care that it doesn't have GPS. I take my phone with me when I exercise, so I'm fine with the Versa using the GPS on my phone...which has a much stronger battery. When you run with an Apple Watch and have your phone with you, it uses the iPhone GPS and there's no way to prevent it from using the GPS on the phone unless you shut off GPS on your phone. 

I'm sure the Apple Watch is really great for some people. For people like me, it's overkill. 
    Get one with LTE + GPS and you won't have to worry about a big, heavy, bulky iPhone bouncing around in your pocket or strapped to your arm.
    Yes, by all means, @tylersdad should spend 5 times as much for functionality he doesn't need, to get the same convenience he has right now.

Apple Watch is a superb device.  It does not, however, meet the needs or desires of absolutely everyone on the planet, and there's not a damned thing wrong with that state of affairs.
    5 times as much?   Where do you buy your watche's?
    I just got a Series 3 Nike with LTE for my grandson for $269 from one of AI's recommended vendors.   And, most runners consider having a phone bouncing around a major inconvenience -- but many will tolerate it only for safety.  The AW with LTE solves that problem.
    edited March 2019 lolliver
  • Reply 30 of 44
    tylersdad said:
    tylersdad said:

Right. All I'd have to worry about is less battery.

No thanks. 

I have the XS Max. Get the right case and it won't flop around or be too heavy. If a 7 ounce phone is too heavy for your arm, you probably need more weight time than road time. :)

To each his own.   I'm still lugging a phone around while I run too -- but only because this damned Series 1 refuses to stop working like it was brand new.  My frugal nature wont let me discard it while its working so well.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 44
    tylersdad said:
    tylersdad said:

Well, no.  It still would have only been 5 times as much.  1 Watch versus 1 fitbit is 500+ versus 100.  2 Watches versus 2 fitbits is 1000+ versus 200.  Still a factor of 5.
    Or one Series 3 LTE for $269.  
    lolliver
  • Reply 32 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    FitBit is still around?

Very much so.   My friend wants one but does not want a "Big Bullky Apple Watch strapped to my wrist"
    Instead, she wants a slim, sleek FitBit that tracks her steps -- just like all her friends have.

The Apple Watch is a truly exceptional and great product on par with anything Apple has ever made.   But, it can't compete with the slim, sleek looks of the FitBit.
    The smaller sized AW is pretty damn small and sleek, and with a classy strap doesn’t look like tech junk to boot.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 44

tylersdad said:
    tylersdad said:

No thanks. 
    What’s to worry about? Do you sleep at night? Do you charge your phone while doing so? Just take your watch off (as most watch wearers do anyhow) and slap it onto the charging cradle (mine is next to the bed). There’s simply nothing to worry about. Even if you miss a night you will very likely last to the next if not tracking a marathon. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 44
    tylersdad said:
    FitBit is still around?

History repeats.

Mac - Windows
    iPhone - Android
    iPad - Android
    Watch - Fitbit

Next:

Yeah no. The rumors of Apple’s watch or fitness tracker long preceded the AW’s debut. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 44
    tylersdad said:
    tylersdad said:

Your pricing is way off — Apple Watch with GPS + Cellular starts st $379, Series 3. 
  • Reply 36 of 44
    tylersdad said:

You don’t seem to realize that the “mock-ups” were a shipping product — the iPod Nano. Came out years prior to Pebble, ran first-party apps, and as you can see was clearly Apple’s foray into smart watches and refined behind closed doors until the AW. 
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 37 of 44
    FitBit is still around?

The smaller sized AW is pretty damn small and sleek, and with a classy strap doesn’t look like tech junk to boot.
      I like it - and my grandson loves his 38mm.  But they aren't the narrow & more stylish traditional FitBit by a very long shot and my friend refuses to wear one because of that.  But, she does want a FitBit.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    tylersdad said:
    tylersdad said:

Your pricing is way off — Apple Watch with GPS + Cellular starts st $379, Series 3. 
    I just bought a series 3 LTE for $269 for my grandson from B&H (Thanks for the tip AI!).  The cellophane wrapper on the box was a little scuffed but it saved me $100 plus $35 of tax --- and he had the cellophane ripped off so fast he never noticed the scuff marks!

Yeh, the Series 4 is extremely impressive.  But, at 12 years old he's too young for the heart rhythm stuff or fall protection -- he'd probably wear the latter out anyway.   I got it for the LTE so he'd always have a way to call or be called -- safety.
    edited March 2019 beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Or one Series 3 LTE for $269.  
    The newest Apple Watch (with LTE to eliminate the need to carry one's phone) versus the newest FitBit shown is a factor of five.  

Yes, you can get an Apple Watch for less than that, but it wouldn't be comparing newest to newest now, would it? 

As well, while I'll freely admit that two and a half (or three and a half, depending on the market) times as much for functionality he doesn't need is not quite as wasteful as five times as much for functionality he doesn't need, my point remains: why pay even that much more for functionality he doesn't need?  Noting that buying an older Apple device isn't quite as wasteful as buying a new one doesn't negate that point in any way.

Again, the Apple Watch is a superb device.  I have one, my daughter has one, and my wife is going to have one for her birthday (even though she doesn't know it yet).  It is not, however, the perfect device for absolutely everyone on the planet.  And that's perfectly OK.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 40 of 44

tylersdad said:

No thanks. 
    What’s to worry about? Do you sleep at night? Do you charge your phone while doing so? Just take your watch off (as most watch wearers do anyhow) and slap it onto the charging cradle (mine is next to the bed). There’s simply nothing to worry about. Even if you miss a night you will very likely last to the next if not tracking a marathon. 
    Yeah, I don't even take mine off when I go to bed.  Mostly, I take it off when my alarm goes off in the morning, and then put it back on when I pick up my other stuff (wallet, keys, etc), after my morning ablutions, getting dressed, etc.  It charges for between a half hour and an hour, depending on how lazy I am that day, and it's usually pretty close to full, if not actually full, at the end of that time.

Sometimes on weekends, I'll wear it for longer periods without charging, and it'll then take a couple of hours to charge.

But that still doesn't make it perfect for every use case.  :)
    watto_cobra