Tim Cook visits Washington D.C. for American Workforce Policy Advisory Board meeting

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple CEO Tim Cook was spotted in Washington D.C. on Wednesday, meeting with White House officials and business leaders as part of his role on the American Workforce Policy Advisory Board, with the aim of improving the future prospects of the United States' workforce.

Cook sitting next to President Trump at an early White House meeting
Cook sitting next to President Trump at an early White House meeting

Cook was named as one of the 25 members of the American Workforce Policy Advisory Board on February 13, along with a selection of chief executives from a variety of other industries, education officials, and members of state and local governments. The Apple CEO was seen making a trip to Washington D.C. to take part in one of his first meetings on the board.

As part of his appearance, Cook spoke briefly about workplace training, a subject that surfaced earlier today in the company's 13th Supplier Responsibility Progress Report. The report highlights Apple's educational programs, which provide life skills, vocational certificates, and pathways to college degrees to employees of its suppliers, with training already provided to over 3.6 million participants.

Cook is the most prominent CEO on the list, and is one of relatively few technology companies in attendance. Other firms on the list in the field include Siemens USA, SAP America, and IBM.

The board aims to provide varied perspectives on workforce issues that may face communities and business in the future as well as presently, while at the same time working to raise awareness of ways workers can better themselves to create family-sustaining careers. The group will work with the National Council for the American Worker, providing guidance to ensure students and workers can access affordable and relevant education and job training.

It will also develop a national campaign to promote education and training, recommend specific courses of action for improving the labor market to meet the demands of employers, to produce strategies to improve private sector investments in students and workers, and to establish a culture of lifelong learning.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Does Tim eat McDonald's Hamboogers?
    macxpress
  • Reply 2 of 10

There's already a petty and pointless political comment from George. Shocking.
  • Reply 3 of 10

Thank you AI for an informative article that is actually free from political bias. These seem like great initiatives, and I'm glad Apple is on board to influence and benefit from them.

I'm going to bite my tongue and refrain from commenting on the facial expressions in that pic.. lol

• Reply 4 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Petty?   Yes
    Pointless?   No
  • Reply 5 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    "Tim Apple"  :D

What a prize prat.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 6 of 10
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

Thank you AI for an informative article that is actually free from political bias. These seem like great initiatives, and I'm glad Apple is on board to influence and benefit from them.

I'm going to bite my tongue and refrain from commenting on the facial expressions in that pic.. lol

I too like receiving relevant news on AI, and hearing others' relevant comments. But of course, AI will not permit their resources to be used for political manifestos. What would be helpful, is if there was a front page tag indicating that a forum has been closed for comments, 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    eightzero said:

I too like receiving relevant news on AI, and hearing others' relevant comments. But of course, AI will not permit their resources to be used for political manifestos. What would be helpful, is if there was a front page tag indicating that a forum has been closed for comments, 

While I think it would be interesting to also allow political discussions on AI, I understand why AI would not want to open up that Pandora's box.

However, that's exactly what they do when they post politically biased articles (which is using AI's resources for their own political manifestos). It's pretty hypocritical for AI to post such articles then complain and shut down comments when the discussion becomes invariably political.

• Reply 8 of 10

Petty?   Yes
    Pointless?   No

Lol. I appreciate the honesty. Of course, it still seems clear to me that identity politics is pointless.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    eightzero said:

While I think it would be interesting to also allow political discussions on AI, I understand why AI would not want to open up that Pandora's box.

However, that's exactly what they do when they post politically biased articles (which is using AI's resources for their own political manifestos). It's pretty hypocritical for AI to post such articles then complain and shut down comments when the discussion becomes invariably political.

The politics aren't the problem. How you folks treat each other is. The commenting guidelines are very specific about behavior we expect. We are attempting to keep commenting open on political-adjacent articles, but it is a battle with you folks, and it isn't even the drive-by trolls that are the biggest problem.

AI is not a hobby. When a thread no longer is cost-effective to moderate because some of you claim to see a phantom manifesto from AI staff and get rowdy about it with each other, it gets closed. There's nobody to blame but forum-goers for that.

There isn't a further discussion to be had about this topic in this thread. It is the way it is. If you, or anybody else, wishes to continue this discussion, do so in my messages, and not in this thread.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 10 of 10
    waltgwaltg Posts: 90member
    One picture of the faces of the four at the table speaks volumes.....