Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Brand Spankin new UI

Check it out. Wow I might just have to add this to the "Wishlist"

Visio ...eat you heart out.

The new GUI looks like ass. The colors for the 'move forward/to front' and 'move backward/to back' buttons are disturbing. And what's up with that non-standard palette window? Not to mention putting 9 frickin' elements in one Inspector palette window is fuct up.

The guides and the Visio importing and exporting will be a great addition though.

I suppose I'll have to wait for the release before I continue to make any judgements since those screenshots are too small for me to clearly look at the GUI.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    kks, the whole "i hate what apple is doing to the gui" thing is getting old. i mean, sure, i understand where you are coming from, but there must be more constructive avenues to vent your frustrations than every other appleinsider thread, right?

anyway, i, too, thought that omnigraffle 3 looks great. they continue to add and improve every major shortcoming with each release. i was already contemplating buying version 2 (it came free with my work mac, but thought i should shell out a few extra $$$ for home use, too), and this really clinches it.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

kks, the whole "i hate what apple is doing to the gui" thing is getting old.

Except we're not talking about Apple here...and the only Apple GUI blunder is the Safari GUI. I'm not sure where you're getting this 'getting old' thing. Maybe you're the one getting old if you can't take a my critisism about present day GUIs.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I think Omnigraffle Pro looks good. We Mac users are just a picky lot.

I'm just glad that Diagramming has a decent product in the works. One less reason to be forced to Wintel.

If the price is right I'll be looking to grab it. Hell Omni is a 10 minute drive away from my front door on a light traffic day
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:

I think Omnigraffle Pro looks good. We Mac users are just a picky lot.

I'm just glad that Diagramming has a decent product in the works. One less reason to be forced to Wintel.

If the price is right I'll be looking to grab it. Hell Omni is a 10 minute drive away from my front door on a light traffic day

Sweet that means you live 10 minutes away from me

Wail the new info panels may look just like the boring ones from the new finder info and OmniOutliner they are not at all. They can be broken up and rearranged. It is completely customizable. I think you guys are going to love it. It is like nothing you have ever seen.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

It is compleatly customizebal.

You rock, Mike.

• Reply 7 of 19
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    michael, switch to OmniWeb. It even has a spellchecker.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

You rock, Mike.

hahaha oppss.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the Finder-like inspectors. I tend to prefer either a pop-up menu or tabs ala Keynote or Create. But it's not a huge deal to me. I like that inspectors are getting a lot of approval from users.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Eh...maybe. I'd have to see it full sized before I can judge it. I don't actually use OmniGraffle much for anything anyway, though.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the Finder-like inspectors. I tend to prefer either a pop-up menu or tabs ala Keynote or Create. But it's not a huge deal to me. I like that inspectors are getting a lot of approval from users.

OMFG...tabs ala Keynote would be amazing!!! I'm sure those 9 'groups' could fit on one horizontal line.

Heck...it'd be one tab unit bigger than Keynote's inspector window.

Sure, the downside would be that you can't display two items at the same time (like in OmniGraffle 3.0's screenshot) and sure, they wouldn't be rearrangeable etc...but I think it'd be much more organized and cleaner.

Michael...why did you change the OmniGraffle 3.0 icons? They're too colorful now and not very Aqua.

edit: oops...my bad...I guess there are more than just 9 tool groups. Well whatever...I'll reserve any more judgements when I get to play with it.

2nd edit: Whoa...there's a thread on MacNN with detailed screenshots...I'm impressed.

There's just the inspector window that seems weird. The rest looks good and the icons aren't that bad...I guess it was just the reduced size of the ThinkSecret screenshot + bad compression artifacts that made things look worse than they are.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    I don't see any pictures

Just links to TS
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

I don't see any pictures

Just links to TS

Cooler review...with better scweenshots...
  • Reply 14 of 19
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Maybe you're the one getting old if you can't take a my critisism about present day GUIs.

in an effort to try to keep this off the threads, check your PM's.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

in an effort to try to keep this off the threads, check your PM's.

I didn't get your PM.

edit: ah there you go...now I have it. You should probably post the PMs before telling me to check my PMs.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

OMFG...tabs ala Keynote would be amazing!!! I'm sure those 9 'groups' could fit on one horizontal line.

Heck...it'd be one tab unit bigger than Keynote's inspector window.

Sure, the downside would be that you can't display two items at the same time (like in OmniGraffle 3.0's screenshot) and sure, they wouldn't be rearrangeable etc...but I think it'd be much more organized and cleaner.

As a comparative critique, TIFFany's inspactor had a simple "detach" button to pull off any single inspector into its own window (thus getting around Adobe's tab "patent" thing they got in a huff with Macromedia over). Create uses 5 tabs with names instead of Keynote's icons, and while it's a bit wide, it's terribly easy to use and very compact considering all the stuff each tab houses. They also have a separate extensible Resource Library which is also divided into categories like Clipart, Blends, Pages, Effects, etc. The tools are in a single palette or drawer and everything else is treated as a utility panel: thumbs, colors, layers, etc.

Omni makes better use of toolbars at the moment though than Stone's software, so some of this sort of stuff might go in there instead.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    You would think that ThinkSecret would keep advertising to banner ads. This seems to be a great big ad done up as a rumor article for OmniGroup to get attention.

I'm not slamming the product, just ThinkSecret. Everything OmniGroup makes is gold.

Barto
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

You would think that ThinkSecret would keep advertising to banner ads. This seems to be a great big ad done up as a rumor article for OmniGroup to get attention.

I'm not slamming the product, just ThinkSecret. Everything OmniGroup makes is gold.

Barto

Having a rough day Barto?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    everything OmniGroup makes really is gold. didn't you know?