Sony brings PlayStation 4 Remote Play app to iPhones & iPads

Posted:
in iPhone
Sony on Thursday launched an iOS version of its free PS4 Remote Play app, letting PlayStation 4 owners stream their games to an iPhone or iPad when they can't play on a TV.

Apex Legends - Bangalore

Games and the PlayStation menu system can be controlled via a touchscreen overlay, which replicates most of the buttons on a DualShock controller. Text can be entered using Apple's native keyboard, and voice chats will work over an iPhone or iPad's own microphone.

A number of requirements are involved, however. The app demands iOS 12.1 or later, a PlayStation Network account, and the latest PS4 software. It will also only connect over a home Wi-Fi network, which is preferable anyway because the latency of a cellular connection might make action games difficult or impossible.

The app "may not be compatible with some games," Sony warned, though it didn't identify any examples. Unlike the Android version of Remote Play, iPhone and iPad owners can't connect a DualShock 4 for better control. It's not yet clear if MFi-certified gamepads will work as these aren't mentioned in release notes -- third-party streaming apps do offer that functionality.

Remote Play is likely most useful to families, since parents may want to play when children are watching TV, and vice versa.

Sony recently discontinued its long-running PS Vita handheld. First launched in December 2011, it has since struggled against the popularity of phone gaming and a diminishing library of new titles. Phone gaming is especially popular in Sony's Japanese homeland, and the iPhone is the bestselling smartphone there, commanding 56 percent marketshare.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

A number of requirements are involved, however. The app demands iOS 12.1 or later, a PlayStation Network account, and the latest PS4 software. It will also only connect over a home Wi-Fi network, which is preferable anyway because the latency of a cellular connection might make action games difficult or impossible.
    If it were Wi-Fi or cellular then maybe Wi-Fi only would be preferable, but I can't see how missing a feature is hardly ever going to be more desirable than having it.  
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 2 of 9
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
  • Reply 3 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Presumably the PS Remote Play app doesn't allow purchasing.  That was the issue with the Steam Link app, iirc.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 9
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Whoa, awesome! But, the lack of DS4 use is weird. If the PS4 is up and running to stream the game, why would it not be able to use the controller directly (ie not even paired with the iPad)? Hopefully something is in the works for that. Curious to see how the on-screen controls work, but obviously that limits playability with some types of games. 
    supadav03watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Just got home and tried this for the first time. Works really well. I have 250 mbps internet with it hardwired to my PS4 but there is still some noticeable lag. Would t try to play any competitive shooters like this but for more story driven games or RPGs, it’s awesome. Very cool to see Spider-Man PS4 on my iPhone XS Max. DualShock 4 doesn’t work so you have to use on screen buttons. Prefer to play on iPad because you get more room. Can turn to portrait mode and have top half video and bottom half button. If they can get the DS4 working with this it would be killer. Also, an app for tvOS would make that thing go from gaming crap to amazing it 2 seconds flat. It works really well so far. Played about 30 mins total (Spider-Man, Witcher 3 and FF14) on both my iPhone and iPad. Two thumbs up so far. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 9
    DS4 will work (if in range of the PS4) if you create a designated PSN account used for signing into Remote Play. Once signed-in with this account, press the PS button on the DS4 and sign in to your normal PSN account. The phone/ipad will continue to display the screen while the control is paired directly to the PS4. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    fyerproof said:
    DS4 will work (if in range of the PS4) if you create a designated PSN account used for signing into Remote Play. Once signed-in with this account, press the PS button on the DS4 and sign in to your normal PSN account. The phone/ipad will continue to display the screen while the control is paired directly to the PS4. 
    I'm not sure I follow. How exactly does this workaround work?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I see now that with PC/Mac, you have to either use the DS4 wired or with a Sony DS4 wireless adapter (~$40), not just regular Bluetooth. I wonder if they can update the iOS version to support these options as well (by way of an adapter for Lightning or USB-C depending on iPad model).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Whoa, awesome! But, the lack of DS4 use is weird. If the PS4 is up and running to stream the game, why would it not be able to use the controller directly (ie not even paired with the iPad)? Hopefully something is in the works for that. Curious to see how the on-screen controls work, but obviously that limits playability with some types of games. 
    Yeah, that makes it pretty useless. My hunch would be that Apple is actually trying to prevent DS4 or Xbox controllers from working on iDevices to protect their MFI program... otherwise, we'd probably have some ways to make them work (which would be really awesome for gaming in general).

fyerproof said:
    Hmm, that's interesting. I guess if within range, that would be nice for when other family members are using the TV (ie: watching a movie or something) so the PS4 could still be used. I've done that with my Mac in the past, and the experience was kinda OK for the most part. But, WiFi wasn't involved, which I'd think would be the possible problem with an iDevice.

I see now that with PC/Mac, you have to either use the DS4 wired or with a Sony DS4 wireless adapter (~$40), not just regular Bluetooth. I wonder if they can update the iOS version to support these options as well (by way of an adapter for Lightning or USB-C depending on iPad model).
    I think if they were going to go that far, they'd just let the controllers pair with the iDevice and work in the first place. I think doing so would be a huge boon to their gaming aspirations, but someone seems to think it more important to collect MFI fees, I guess. :(