Next-generation 'budget' iPad rumored to retain Touch ID, headphone jack

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2019
Rumors from Asian suppliers aired Friday suggest Apple's 7th generation iPad will sport an enclosure design identical to the current 9.7-inch iPad, complete with Touch ID biometric authentication and a headphone jack.

iPad
Apple's 6th-generation iPad.

Citing sources who conduct business through Alibaba, Mac Otakara reports Apple has no plans to revamp the design of its 9.7-inch "budget" iPad, a model manufactured with the education market in mind.

At least one supplier believes a 10-inch model is on the way, but that specification has not yet been confirmed. The rumor is in line with predictions from noted Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who in February said the low-end tablet would hit market with a 10.2-inch screen. Whether Apple intends to increase the size of iPad's chassis, or squeeze the larger display into the 9.7-inch version's enclosure, remains to be seen.

As with last year's refresh, the 2019 iPad will reportedly retain older technology like Touch ID, presumably in a bid to lower build costs. Apple swapped out the fingerprint-based authentication tech for Face ID in its top-of-the-line iPad Pro seres in 2018.

Apple's next-generation iPad will also incorporate a 3.5 millimeter headphone jack, Mac Otakara sources said. The headphone jack is an endangered species in Apple's mobile product ecosystem, first removed in 2016's iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, and most recently seeing deletion from iPad Pro in 2018.

Today's report did not specify whether Apple intends to rely on Lightning or USB-C for charging and data connectivity.

Finally, supplier sources claim Apple could release the 7th generation iPad alongside an "iPad mini 5" model also rumored to be in development. A release date was not provided, though recent government filings hint that an unveiling could occur in the coming weeks.

The rumors suggest Apple's upcoming refresh will include only minor internal component upgrades. Kuo in his note to investors last month predicted as much, saying both the "budget" iPad and "iPad mini 5" would benefit from faster processors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Higher performance, touch id,3.5mm jack, quality built at reasonable price. Seems all good. This is exactly what we need GOTO MAC laptops to keep expanding user base.
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstangMisterKitelijahglibertyandfreewatto_cobracurtis hannah
  • Reply 2 of 53
    The iPad v6 has long been the hidden hero of the iPad line, giving what appears to be great value for the money. It sounds like the v7 will continue that trend. My kid is in the market to replace her iPad, it sounds like this is the one to get.

I'm also glad to see the mini 5 will also be coming soon. I'm an iPad mini person, and the only question mark I have is if the mini 5 will have the pencil. Give me that, and I'm *sold*.
    edited March 2019 muthuk_vanalingamMisterKitGeorgeBMacwatto_cobrapulseimagescurtis hannah
  • Reply 3 of 53
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    I am slightly annoyed at the lack of a headphone jack in the iPad Pro, and wish they kept it. I just bought some soft silicone “sleep” headphones for use in bed with my iPhone and precious iPad Air 2, and will probably keep the latter around for watching stuff in bed for that reason alone. I got a USB-C adapter, but obviously switching adapters for both devices would be a pain and defeats the point of the lightning headphones I just bought. Before you say AirPods, I plan to get v2 but not for falling asleep in, or I’ll be searching for them every morning. :)

This is also one of a few reasons after gettting my iPad Pro following my new MacBook Pro that I want the iPhone to move to USB-C — in addition to one charger to rule them all. 
    baconstangwilliamlondoncurtis hannah
  • Reply 4 of 53
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Also at the sale price of $250 the v6 is an outstanding value and probably one of the best deals on a (mostly) current Apple product. 
    muthuk_vanalingamMisterKitFatmanGeorgeBMacStrangeDayschasm
  • Reply 5 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I just don’t see that happening. Apple going back to a regular audio jack? Apple doesn’t do those kinds of reversals.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    A few thoughts.

The lower cost iPads are more than enough for many of us. I have not come to any limitations on my 2017 that cost $249 on a 2017 Black Friday deal. The base model is a sweet spot at regular prices, a giveaway at sale prices.

It makes little sense to expect iPad Pro specs in an introductory level priced standard iPad.

No 3.5mm analog audio output renders any iPad useless for my needs.

Cant wait for a Mini 5. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 53
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    I see no reason for a 7inch iPad.  The low end would be better with a 9.7 without bezel, and TouchID through the screen.

The headphone jack adds cost, why bring it back?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 53
    To all those asking about the 3.5mm jack:
    Anything aimed at the education market needs to retain the audio jack, as the alternatives are far too costly for a school.
    • Lightning headphones: still so much more expensive than their 3.5mm counterparts, and students are unlikely to have their own, whereas they will have their own 3.5mm headphones. 
    • Lightning adaptors: not cheap, breakable, and prone to disappear into student’s pockets. 
    • Wireless headphones: again, expensive, and more prone to breaking than 3.5mm alternatives. 
    I’m a classroom music teacher in the UK, and have been doing the job for 26 years. The iPad is something many schools in the UK are beginning to provide to students: if the headphone jack disappears, so will that market for Apple. 

MisterKitdedgeckoBenCbaconstangbb-15muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 53
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Also at the sale price of $250 the v6 is an outstanding value and probably one of the best deals on a (mostly) current Apple product. 
    It was on sale on Amazon a few months ago for even less. They had it for $229, a full $100 off. That is the price that finally got my miser friend who had been wanting an iPad for ages to finally bite the bullet. He said he doesn’t know how he lived without it before because it’s taken his PUBG game to the next level. 😂😂😂
    bb-15watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 53
    mike54 said:
    I'll be satisfied with the same form factor, screen as the iPad Air 2 (or the previous version) but with current CPU,  ram 4gb, and possibly improved speakers.
    That is do not hobble the specs. Apple may want to make it 10in to achieve economies of scales and that's fine.                                       
    You’re not going to get the the current gen CPU in a $329 (and usually on sale for less) non-Pro iPad. It’s just not going to happen any more. Back when the standard iPad had a $499 base price, yes. But not that this price. You can pretty much assume you’re getting one or two generations behind CPUs at that price point. Unfortunately Apple no longer really makes anything at that $499 price point anymore. You’re either getting a higher storage regular iPad or
    youre getting a previous generation or refurbished iPad Pro at that price point.

I do have to say though, after holding out with my iPad Air 2 for about 5 years I finally upgraded to the new 11 inch iPad Pro and it is an incredible upgrade, for the 120Hz refresh rate alone. I’ll likely keep this one for another 5 years or more.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Anything aimed at the education market needs to retain the audio jack, as the alternatives are far too costly for a school.
    • Lightning headphones: still so much more expensive than their 3.5mm counterparts, and students are unlikely to have their own, whereas they will have their own 3.5mm headphones. 
    • Lightning adaptors: not cheap, breakable, and prone to disappear into student’s pockets. 
    • Wireless headphones: again, expensive, and more prone to breaking than 3.5mm alternatives. 
    I’m a classroom music teacher in the UK, and have been doing the job for 26 years. The iPad is something many schools in the UK are beginning to provide to students: if the headphone jack disappears, so will that market for Apple. 

Do you think if Apple provided lightning EarPods at a sufficiently cheap price exclusively to education customers, say somewhere between £1 and £5 a pop, that could make up for a removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack? I have to assume at some point Apple is going to want to standardize on a design/screen size and offering super cheap lightning EarPods exclusively available to the education market would be cheaper than making two completely different designed devices.

On that same note, someone (Apple?) should come up with a service where you can donate your unused EarPods included with your iPhone. My wife and I both upgrade to new iPhones every year and we both have AirPods and Bose QC35s, making the EarPods unneeded. I can’t tell you how many EarPods we’ve tried to give away over the years and ended up throwing in the garbage because no one needs them. I know there are countless other people out there like us.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 53
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Now imagine if this new model had the same 9.7” display with a reduced bezel & size or a larger 10” display within the same size - that would be a more compelling product.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 53
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Probably more important to the 'Budget' iPad than what it will do for individual consumers is how it will deal with the epidemic of Chromebooks in schools.  Essentially, Google is crushing Apple in that arena and, like McDonald's Happy Meals, indoctrinating young people into its ecosystem early on.  

When the Gen6 iPad was introduced education was given by Apple as its primary target.  The Gen7 will need to reaffirm that thrust and expand on it -- and a critical part of that will be making it what Apple has been promising for years:   A laptop killer.   But, until they give it an external keyboard with a cursor, that is simply not going to happen.  Instead it will continue to be restricted to outputting content, artsy stuff and pre-formatted input.
    designrmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 53
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    payeco said:
    Unfortunately Apple no longer really makes anything at that $499 price point anymore.
    Exactly. Bezeless 9.7” with Touch ID under the glass a la Samsung for $499? Boom!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/20/18232113/samsung-galaxy-s10-plus-fingerprint-sensor-screen-reader-ultrasonic-protector 

• Reply 15 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    I am slightly annoyed at the lack of a headphone jack in the iPad Pro, and wish they kept it. I just bought some soft silicone “sleep” headphones for use in bed with my iPhone and precious iPad Air 2, and will probably keep the latter around for watching stuff in bed for that reason alone. I got a USB-C adapter, but obviously switching adapters for both devices would be a pain and defeats the point of the lightning headphones I just bought. Before you say AirPods, I plan to get v2 but not for falling asleep in, or I’ll be searching for them every morning. :)

This is also one of a few reasons after gettting my iPad Pro following my new MacBook Pro that I want the iPhone to move to USB-C — in addition to one charger to rule them all. 
    which sleep headphones did you get? i’ve used my APs and they’re great, i’m not often unable to find them in the morning. but the problem is the consumable nature of batteries. between work calls, the gym, and nightly use they are toast. cutting bedtime us may help (or i just accept they won’t last more than 2 years, similar to how pricey running shoes get used up). 
    cornchipfastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 53

I just don’t see that happening. Apple going back to a regular audio jack? Apple doesn’t do those kinds of reversals.
    keeping it in an existing product isn’t the same as doing a reversal tho.
    baconstangwatto_cobracornchipmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 53
    MisterKit said:
    A few thoughts.

The lower cost iPads are more than enough for many of us. I have not come to any limitations on my 2017 that cost $249 on a 2017 Black Friday deal. The base model is a sweet spot at regular prices, a giveaway at sale prices.

It makes little sense to expect iPad Pro specs in an introductory level priced standard iPad.

No 3.5mm analog audio output renders any iPad useless for my needs.

Cant wait for a Mini 5. 
    renders it useless? you are unable to use a digital port or an analog adapter? the future is not bright for you. 
    edited March 2019 watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 18 of 53

Wait, how is the analog adapter expensive or fragile?
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Fatman said:
    Now imagine if this new model had the same 9.7” display with a reduced bezel & size or a larger 10” display within the same size - that would be a more compelling product.
    So you want the iPad Pro, but want to pay the entry-level price. Uh huh.
    Fatmanmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Probably more important to the 'Budget' iPad than what it will do for individual consumers is how it will deal with the epidemic of Chromebooks in schools.  Essentially, Google is crushing Apple in that arena and, like McDonald's Happy Meals, indoctrinating young people into its ecosystem early on.  
    That’s a trendy narrative, but can you point to any sales data? What Google chromebooks are selling outside of education? How many years do we have to wait to see this great commercial success? Because as far as I can too, chromebooks still suck for regular people. 
    watto_cobra