turning off iMac display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is there a way to turn off the monitor of a FS iMac? I'd like to leave my computer on when I'm asleep but turn off the display...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    you could sleep it... have you tried to turn down the brightness?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Energy saver, display off (set it to the minimum).
  • Reply 3 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    or just turn the brightness to its lowest setting, the display will turn off, the computer will stay on.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    The only problem with the black screensaver is that the backlight is still on. You may be saving the individual pixels by not showing any color, but it won't help save the backlight.

Try putting that screensaver on at night when it's very dark... you'll see what I mean. But, of course, I doubt the backlights will go bad before i get a new computer (isn't the life 5-10 years? Plenty, for me).
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Yeah, you can just set the display to sleep after 5 minutes and the computer to not sleep at all. That's what I do some times and it works fine.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    The problem with energy saver is that it only dims the screen and doesn't completely turn it off...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Energy Saver turns the display complete off. I set mine to sleep after 15 mins. No need to burn precious hours off the backlight's lifespan just to have a screensaver going.

I have the display set that way, and the hard drive to spin down when possible, but to never sleep. I manually put it to sleep at night.

(17" iMac)
  • Reply 8 of 11
    There must be a difference between the 17 and 15 inch imac, energy saver only dims my screen...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Actually, there must be... after reading this thread again I realized that turning the display brightness all the way down used to turn the display off for me. With my 17" iMac though, it doesn't. Just goes down to a really dark image but won't go completely black. I have to use the Energy Saver prefs to do that.

Hmm.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Oddly enough, the combination of turning the brightness down all the way and putting the display to sleep makes the monitor go completely black :-)
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Now this is weird, my screen is going completely off now because of energy saver, but not right away, it dims first.