Elizabeth Warren confirms Apple is on her big tech breakup list

Comments

• Reply 41 of 172
    rwx9901rwx9901 Posts: 100member
    patentcad said:
    As a life-long Democrat, it always amazes me how they manage to shoot themselves in the foot. Amazing.
    I hear ya.  However, as a conservative myself it also amazes me how the GOP does the same thing.  Both parties do this.
    russwdirecthackerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 172
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    jblank said:
    jblank said:
    jblank said:
    Dial back the wide brushes a little bit, folks.
    What wide brushes? Liawatha and her ilk are attempting to fundamentally destroy one of the greatest companies in history, they deserve maximum criticism. These leftists are trying to destroy the American economic system and in my opinion, it's not painting with a broad brush to call them out for it.

She shouldn't have taken a DNA test, she needed a CAT-scan.
    The wide brushes that already got pruned from this thread. If your comment remains, it is on the correct side of the line.

You just registered, and that's fantastic. At the bottom of every thread we have forum rules conveniently posted, and we do enforce them.
    That's fine, but calling a spade a spade isn't a "wide brush". None of my comments were removed so I guess you weren't addressing me. My mistake, I thought you were.
    It might be worth a look-up on where your analogy came from.
    ???
    Yeah, don't worry about it. I had a relevant thought about empire building, but lost it.
  • Reply 43 of 172
    jblankjblank Posts: 16member
    jblank said:
    jblank said:
    jblank said:
    What wide brushes? Liawatha and her ilk are attempting to fundamentally destroy one of the greatest companies in history, they deserve maximum criticism. These leftists are trying to destroy the American economic system and in my opinion, it's not painting with a broad brush to call them out for it.

The wide brushes that already got pruned from this thread. If your comment remains, it is on the correct side of the line.

You just registered, and that's fantastic. At the bottom of every thread we have forum rules conveniently posted, and we do enforce them.
    That's fine, but calling a spade a spade isn't a "wide brush". None of my comments were removed so I guess you weren't addressing me. My mistake, I thought you were.
    It might be worth a look-up on where your analogy came from.
    ???
    Yeah, don't worry about it. I had a relevant thought about empire building, but lost it.
    No, I'd like to hear what you had to say, seriously.
  • Reply 44 of 172
    Why Facebook? They’re doing a good job of chasing away customers on their own. I cant
    stand Facebook but it makes no sense to break them up.

The only company that might be monopolistic is Google. But that’s only because the indexed internet basically goes through Google. And they use that position, and Android (yes I said it), to collect information on the public for profit. I mean that IS their rasion dtre. But that’s not a reason to break up Google. If people can’t break away from Google om their own then they just don’t want to. (And they and Samsung DID steal tbe iPhone, just sayin” - sorry off topic). 

Amazon? Hmmm. Can no one compete with Amazon as a whole? Companies do compete with Amazon in markets, (Newegg, B&H). I don’t see that taking away some Amazon services would change much. 
    allenlbrownwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 172
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    Our government increasingly believes that the best way to change things is to make more laws. But laws don’t change people.

We as a culture hope that if we get our way established in law that everything will be good. But we can be assured if the either ‘side’ gets their way in full that there will be another civil war. No one wants to live with another’s approach to life because we no longer have a central approach to morality—like it or not, the morality of Christianity has been a unifying element in American culture, even for those who don’t believe it, and that unity is what made America so strong. The left has nothing to replace it on a practical level despite how much they want to think they have the platform of love, so we’re simply sowing seeds of division and anger.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 172
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    jblank said:

She won’t hear your screams from this platform. Try social media, bud.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 172
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Democrat and Apple Chauvinist here. Relax, she’s not President and never will be. A vital democracy (read legislature) should be a forum for ideas, even those you disagree with. Kudos to her for at least getting the idea out there to bat around. Many of us look askance at trusts and monopolies, the trick is to decide what and what isn’t one. The U.S. electorate is deeply conservative with a small C. We are not going to become a People’s Republic because AOC exists any more than Trump will create a Third Reich. Simmer down and trust in the inherent good sense of the majority to keep us on an even keel. No one’s breaking up Apple and only a moderate Democrat will get my vote. 
    colorwatto_cobraflyingdp
  • Reply 48 of 172
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    pjorlando said:
    Well she can forget becoming president.
    I doubt she has a chance anyways....
    directhackerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 172
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Should Nordstroms be prevented from selling their own clothing lines because they also sell Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein? Should a local deli not be permitted to sell food they make because they also sell packaged goods from Pepsi and Pepperidge Farms? You could have an near-endless list of examples...

Further, if she is talking specifically about app competition, Apple gives many of their apps away for free anyway.

In a an alternative reality, what if Apple never supported third party apps, and only developed their own? Would she be clamoring that this was unfair and Apple should open avenues for third parties to sell?

Along with her lack of understanding regarding the benefits of a walled garden approach (that users and developers can choose to support of not), this is a clear example of why this type of philosophy should not be supported regardless of candidate.

While I respect that true monopolistic endeavors should be monitored closely for abuse in the marketplace, Warren's position here reveals a complete mis-read of the larger competitive landscape and wants to limit success (if Apple wasn't as successful with the same exact model, she would care less).

To even think of meddling with any company's non-monopolistic effort to be successful, especially with the enthusiastic support of its free-will user base, is breathtakingly mystifying. She knows nothing of the business model, operational, support, and marketing costs, short and long term considerations, risk factors etc. of any of these businesses. The fact is users and developers may choose to leave Apple, or conversely, Android ecospheres to jump to the other if they become "fed-up."

This is pure pandering.
    watto_cobrabshankdanhsarthos
  • Reply 50 of 172
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    If Warren feels the need to go after Apple too then she should go after the 30% cut Apple takes on the App Store, especially subscriptions for streaming media that Apple doesn’t host or have anything to do with. She should take on Apple over not allowing apps to provide another method of payment outside of iTunes (or at least offering a link to take you to the web). People who want all their credit card stuff in one place can still pay the 30% and let Apple handle everything. But for those are fine with handling and managing this stuff themselves they can be given another, cheaper option.
  • Reply 51 of 172
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    What a stupid idea from a dumb so called Senator who claims an Indian. They should break up her DNA and see if they can find Indians on it....Good grip, if you don’t want Ios theres Android or Tizen
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 172
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    thrang said:
    Should Nordstroms be prevented from selling their own clothing lines because they also sell Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein? Should a local deli not be permitted to sell food they make because they also sell packaged goods from Pepsi and Pepperidge Farms? You could have an near-endless list of examples...

Further, if she is talking specifically about app competition, Apple gives many of their apps away for free anyway.

In a an alternative reality, what if Apple never supported third party apps, and only developed their own? Would she be clamoring that this was unfair and Apple should open avenues for third parties to sell?

Along with her lack of understanding regarding the benefits of a walled garden approach (that users and developers can choose to support of not), this is a clear example of why this type of philosophy should not be supported regardless of candidate.

While I respect that true monopolistic endeavors should be monitored closely for abuse in the marketplace, Warren's position here reveals a complete mis-read of the larger competitive landscape and wants to limit success (if Apple wasn't as successful with the same exact model, she would care less).

To even think of meddling with any company's non-monopolistic effort to be successful, especially with the enthusiastic support of its free-will user base, is breathtakingly mystifying. She knows nothing of the business model, operational, support, and marketing costs, short and long term considerations, risk factors etc. of any of these businesses. The fact is users and developers may choose to leave Apple, or conversely, Android ecospheres to jump to the other if they become "fed-up."

This is pure pandering.
    Is being a monopoly a requirement for anti-competitive actions? Not all instances are actionable. Of course.

But sometimes a company's zeal to grab all the profits encourages them to enact blockade to help ensure no one else can compete, yes even within a majority platform created by a private company that may not be an actual monopoly.

I'm not siding with Ms. Warren. At all. But claiming there's no actual economic or consumer harm that negatively affects the overall health of our country as long as a legal monopoly doesn't exist if false IMO. 
    edited March 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 53 of 172
    ABurroABurro Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Same old Democrat drivel: LOVE Jobs. HATE employers.
    edited March 2019 directhackersarthos
  • Reply 54 of 172
    Folio said:
    Candidate Sen. Amy Klobuchar D-Minnesota also has Google and Facebook in her sites, I believe. Divesting Instagram and WhatsApp and Doubleclick etc is worth a look, in my opinion. If nothing else, it's the price certain tech giants pay for reckless disregard of their effects of 2016 US elections and more. Of course in these early days, they'll overreach. But I'd be more worried if opposition parties just wanted status quo.
    So just a continuation of the sore loser brigade. If Hillary Clinton had won the Presidency we wouldn’t be hearing about ideas like this?
    mwhite
  • Reply 55 of 172
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Her dancing around the security issue is telling. Ignorance or arrogance. 
    watto_cobradanhsarthos
  • Reply 56 of 172
    ItsDeCia said:
    While she’s at it, why not prevent Apple from selling their own accessories in their retail stores too? Since other brands are there, we wouldn’t want Apple to have a competitive advantage in their own store or anything. Smh
    Given the proposal, and that Amazon couldn't sell Amazon Essentials anymore, this is a possibility.
    I don't think she's actually thought this through. This proposal, as presented so far, would affect pretty much every large retailer in the US who sells white label products -- i.e., products made by a third party for the retailer and uniquely labeled for them. This is Warren's main problem: she doesn't really think through the details of things. There are businesses that exist only for (or at least by) making these white label products. This would effectively put all these companies out of business and their employees out of jobs.

While I agree that some of these companies present a real threat to our society, clearly there are unintended consequences of this proposal that make it untenable. Simplistic, headline grabbing proposals are not what we need. What we need are ideas that are thoughtfully developed and directly address the problems.
    So in Warren’s mind Walmart who sells their own product line called Equate that is cheaper for the consumer than the same name brand item would be illegal because it creates an unfair in store advantage? So much for her Consumer Protection! 
    netmagewatto_cobrabshankdanhsarthos
  • Reply 57 of 172
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    jblank said:

patentcad said:
    As a life-long Democrat, it always amazes me how they manage to shoot themselves in the foot. Amazing.
    That party has lost its mind. They're so out of touch with reality and they don't seem to care.
    Does that include Tim Apple.....
    bshank
  • Reply 58 of 172
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    As a life-long Apple user, I have always felt Apple has their customers' safety in mind. I would never buy Windows based stuff. But she wants to break up Apple when I have always felt safe with Apple platform. Expensive? Yes. But I know they back up their equipment. Elizabeth is wrong here. BTW I sent a letter to her telling her that breaking up Apple is the wrong avenue. 
    mwhitepulseimageswatto_cobrabshanksarthos
  • Reply 59 of 172
    Talk about misdirected energy! If she is really worried about the corporate landscape and how it affects Americans, the obvious industry to target is media/telecom. Then pharma. The only thing that needs to be reined in with regard to tech is the wholesale and repeated theft of private information (i.e. Google "forgetting" to tell consumers that their device has a mic, FB selling people's data to 3rd parties without disclosure, etc.)
    stompypulseimageswatto_cobracat52danh
  • Reply 60 of 172
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    If Warren feels the need to go after Apple too then she should go after the 30% cut Apple takes on the App Store, especially subscriptions for streaming media that Apple doesn’t host or have anything to do with. She should take on Apple over not allowing apps to provide another method of payment outside of iTunes (or at least offering a link to take you to the web). People who want all their credit card stuff in one place can still pay the 30% and let Apple handle everything. But for those are fine with handling and managing this stuff themselves they can be given another, cheaper option.
    Is that already in court?