President Trump insists he was saving time by calling Cook 'Tim Apple'

Posted:
in General Discussion
On Monday, U.S. President Donald Trump defended his recent reference to Apple's CEO as "Tim Apple," claiming he was simply trying to save time.

Tim Cook and Donald Trump

"At a recent round table meeting of business executives, & long after formally introducing Tim Cook of Apple, I quickly referred to Tim + Apple as Tim/Apple as an easy way to save time & words," Trump wrote on Twitter. "The Fake News was disparagingly all over this, & it became yet another bad Trump story!"

At a recent round table meeting of business executives, & long after formally introducing Tim Cook of Apple, I quickly referred to Tim + Apple as Tim/Apple as an easy way to save time & words. The Fake News was disparagingly all over this, & it became yet another bad Trump story!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)

Trump made the slip last Wednesday, sitting next to Cook at a meeting of the American Workforce Policy Advisory Board.

"People like Tim -- you're expanding all over and doing things I really wanted you to right from the beginning," Trump said. "I used to say, 'Tim, you've got to start doing it over here,' and you really have. You really put a big investment in our country. We appreciate it very much, Tim Apple."

Trump just called Apple CEO Tim Cook "Tim Apple" pic.twitter.com/gTHHtjWvc9

-- Sean O'Kane (@sokane1)

Trump is known for both deliberately and accidentally changing the names of famous people. He once called Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson "Marillyn Lockheed," and has referred to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos as "Jeff Bozo," mainly because his newspaper the Washington Post has regularly covered controversies and wrongdoing at the White House.

Cook and/or his social media team reacted by changing his Twitter handle to "Tim Apple." It's not clear whether this was a jab at Trump or taking the mistake in stride, though it may be the latter since Trump called Cook "a friend" at Wednesday's event, and the CEO has been willing to collaborate even though the two are deeply opposed on topics like climate change, immigration, and LGBT rights. Apple has taken advantage of Trump-era tax cuts to repatriate billions in overseas cash.
danR2222

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Sure, Mr Flip Flop
    cian2itivguywatto_cobralamboaudi4
  • Reply 2 of 85
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    ...aaaand we can save time by simply closing this forum for comments now. This is why we can't have nice things.
    edited March 2019 lkruppagmsrhodarbigpicsbluefire1lamboaudi4
  • Reply 3 of 85
    LOL. Typical Trump.
    ciawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 85
    This guy Lol. What an idiot. SMH #2020
  • Reply 5 of 85
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    eightzero said:
    ...aaaand we can save time by simply closing this forum for comments now. This is why we can't have nice things.
    The last few political-adjacent threads have been okay. We'll see.
    eightzerololliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 85
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Sounds good to me. Why say Tim Cook from Apple, when you can just shorten it to Tim Apple. Probably not, but he see's a lot of people every day. I'm sure he has Apple in in mind, and Tim Cook, and it came out Tim Apple. It's a perfectly normal thing. People are far from perfect. Obama said we had 57 states. Actually it was 58 total.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/57-states/

I can point to many others though the main stream media don't generally cover these type of things on the left. Every little thing Trump does, oh they are right there to jump all over it.
    edited March 2019 patchythepiratemuthuk_vanalingamJanNLAppleExposedagmsrtomowahodaranantksundaramwatto_cobrafoljs
  • Reply 7 of 85
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    It's the second time he has done such a thing.    My theory?   Autistics tend to see things more than people and Trump is autistic, just like Barron.   So to Trump, Tim and Apple are the same.  No distinction.

And, by that, I am not trying to be critical of Trump -- some of the world's most brilliant people have been autistic (or more correctly, Aspergians) - including the like of Thomas Jefferson, Albert Einstein and(very likely) our own Steve Jobs.

Maybe not -- but Asperger's fits with Trump and this is just one more example.
    cgWerksmuthuk_vanalingamminicoffeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 85
    Much ado about nothing...
    muthuk_vanalingamagmsrhodarkrawallanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 85
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    „Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.“
    Well, maybe. ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 85

jesus, it's so absurd that this is a story or ever was a "story". where has our self respect gone?

btw, trump isn't on the spectrum. maybe adhd.

also, he's 72 years old, travels around the world regularly, and gives 2 hour long speeches and press conferences all the time. and people want to make a thing of "tim apple"??

pathetic

indiekidukmuthuk_vanalingamJanNLagmsrhodarMplsPjeffythequickwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 85

jesus, it's so absurd that this is a story or ever was a "story". where has our self respect gone?

also, he's 72 years old, travels around the world regularly, and gives 2 hour long speeches and press conferences all the time. and people want to make a thing of "tim apple"??

pathetic

True. Why bother using the mans name. Cook is a tough one to remember anyway. 
    danR2222GeorgeBMacchialolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 85
    vukasikavukasika Posts: 102member
    What I would give to see Donnie’s transcripts.  C- or D+ student at absolute best...
    GeorgeBMacdavenbigpicswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 85
    Ack this was obvious so this official statement is completely unnecessary and spoils the joke. He would have been better of going with it, like Tim did with his response.
    GeorgeBMaclolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 85
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Trump speaks in fits and starts instead of sentences. He has below normal abilities in syntax and grammar because he can hardly read. His verbal skills are formed by dialog on television. 

A shorthand construction like “Tim Apple” is therefore perfectly acceptable to him, and he has no idea that it would be jarring to others, who expect language to work literally as well as orally.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraCarnage
  • Reply 15 of 85
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    It's the second time he has done such a thing.    My theory?   Autistics tend to see things more than people and Trump is autistic, just like Barron.   So to Trump, Tim and Apple are the same.  No distinction.

And, by that, I am not trying to be critical of Trump -- some of the world's most brilliant people have been autistic (or more correctly, Aspergians) - including the like of Thomas Jefferson, Albert Einstein and(very likely) our own Steve Jobs.

That was my favorite South Park episode. Cartman thought he had Ass Burgers. 
  • Reply 16 of 85
    danR2222danR2222 Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    "save time"
    Because, you see, 'Apple' has fewer letters and syllables than 'Cook'.
    But then, for real savings, why not 'Tim Covfefe'?
    GeorgeBMacn2itivguychiaCarnageMacProarlomedia
  • Reply 17 of 85
    danR2222danR2222 Posts: 7unconfirmed, member

It's about Dotus' self-respect. He made a trivial slip-up into another massive opportunity to lie about what he had said.
    A better president would have simply laughed it off, but good-natured honest self-deprecation isn't in the man's genes.
    That is what turns his non-stories into stories. He goes and tells stories.
    edited March 2019 StrangeDaysGeorgeBMacroundaboutnowlolliverbigpicswatto_cobraCarnage
  • Reply 18 of 85
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    That actually makes sense, as Trump is a pretty fast talker. If you take the sentence and add a comma or semicolon, it makes a lot of sense
    "We appreciate it very much, Tim, Apple." (comma added)
    He's not just thanking Tim, but Apple (as a company) as well.

jbdragon said:
    Sounds good to me. Why say Tim Cook from Apple, when you can just shorten it to Tim Apple. Probably not, but he see's a lot of people every day. I'm sure he has Apple in in mind, and Tim Cook, and it came out Tim Apple. It's a perfectly normal thing. People are far from perfect. Obama said we had 57 states. Actually it was 58 total.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/57-states/

I can point to many others though the main stream media don't generally cover these type of things on the left. Every little thing Trump does, oh they are right there to jump all over it.
    Yeah, and then there is that. Obama made huge flubs all the time (including constantly stuttering a bunch). The MSM was nice enough to edit that stuff out for him, rather than highlighting, or even exaggerating it (or, out of context) for Trump.

While this isn't exactly one of Trump's 'fake news' moments with the MSM (there are MANY!), he's right about the way they pounced on it. That said, the way he acts, he does kind of deserve this kind of thing (though, not the fake news or misconstrual they often do).

Hmm, I hadn't really thought about that, but it would explain some things.

Do we know that for sure? Most people his age weren't diagnosed.
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 85
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    And earlier in a meeting with RNC donors he insisted that he said Tim With Apple, just the mic didn't pick up the With. He can't even keep his lies straight any more. #delusionaltrump
    StrangeDaysGeorgeBMacYamroundaboutnowlolliverCarnage
  • Reply 20 of 85
    So, no fan of Trump here, but that’s neither here nor there. 

This is/was a total non-story. So the guy made a language error that has zero consequences, and didn’t even impact the ability to understand what was being said. We’ve got to learn to let some things go. 
    muthuk_vanalingamzroger73anantksundarampembrokegatorguy