What makes a good AR or VR headset and why Apple is positioned to dominate the space

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    bluefire1 said:
    When it's perfected, Apple will release it.
    Nothing is ever perfected. Even the iPhone is improved on yearly. 

What he means is that, when Apple thinks it's good enough to be commercially released, it will do so.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 895member
    mattspace said:
    Disper said:

Probably why they are waiting until they have addressed technical issues like lag, comfort, style, graphics power (high optimized), field of view, weight, optical lensing, input interface, display, etc.
    It seems to be a common idea within the Apple-sphere that somehow Apple can produce some sort of "optimised" graphics hardware for VR, as if that is in some way going to make up for Apple being hamstrung with secondrate GPUs.

It's worth considering that the current graphics hardware IS the "highly optimised" hardware that is supposed to enable VR. Gaming-optimised cards, for a medium that is based on gaming engines.

It's entirely probable that it isn't actually possible for Apple to produce "VR specific" graphics hardware that's any better at the task, than that which Nvidia is making. There may not be an engineering solution to the problem of "we don't want to buy GPUs from Nvidia".
    Is Nvidia making GPUs that are smaller? cooler? and using less power than Apple is? I fail to...  I am looking at 5-8 years from now...  Faster maybe, but...
  • Reply 43 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    If Apple does come out in the VR / AR space with products others will say what Apple has created is so 'obvious' as they copy down to the last detail and claim they were working on the same thing for years!
  • Reply 44 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,565member
    danox said:
    claire1 said:
    I cringe when people suggest the headset NEEDS to have an iPhone strapped to your face.

Apple isn't into that Nerdy Google/MS stuff. They will make sleek glasses with no external hardware input if they enter the space.
    It won't be huge hardware like current models that makes us look like aliens.

NOPE

No cyborg fashion.

Something like this would be the goal:

Claire1 is right, all of the hardware and software has to fit into a regular pair of glasses, the GEEKS of the tech world don't seem to understand, and no one other than Apple has the in house hardware (CPU chips) and software (OS) ability to make it work 10 years from now....Remember the orignal iPad brick in 2001.

In short all of the electronics in a 12.9 iPad pro has to fit in (on) the left and right arms of a regular pair of glasses (includes a new OS too) with the screens being the left and right glass, we are 10 years away from that.
    Of course AR glasses can be smaller now than when they first started rolling out several years ago. There's other manufacturers now with far smaller form factors, very similar to traditional eyeglasses. On top of that you're showing immersive gaming headsets introduced some time ago alongside a relatively simple pair of augmented ones. As far as I can tell from reading you guys are expecting the latter, not a full VR experience. 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 45 of 49
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    KITA said:
    Robots78 said:
    Room-scale VR is already moving away from Lighthouse-style external sensors and towards HoloLens-style "inside-out" systems with the sensors in the headsets. Microsoft's "Mixed Reality" standard uses this technique. I'm really looking forward to more advancements in the AR space. I've spent some decent time with a HoloLens and it's a very exciting glimpse at what the future holds. The included games, in particular, are incredibly cool.
    Some of the HoloLens applications are very impressive.

Demos like this illustrate that future workers will either be dummies who have no clue what they are doing and must be guided like sheep through every step of a process, or robots will soon replace manual laborers en masse. I think both scenarios will come to pass. 

So maybe this technology will bring back jobs to America!!
    Actually, right now there is an all time record number of Americans employed, and the manufacturing sector has been booming for jobs.  
  • Reply 46 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,565member
    Notsofast said:
    KITA said:
    Robots78 said:
    Room-scale VR is already moving away from Lighthouse-style external sensors and towards HoloLens-style "inside-out" systems with the sensors in the headsets. Microsoft's "Mixed Reality" standard uses this technique. I'm really looking forward to more advancements in the AR space. I've spent some decent time with a HoloLens and it's a very exciting glimpse at what the future holds. The included games, in particular, are incredibly cool.
    Some of the HoloLens applications are very impressive.

Demos like this illustrate that future workers will either be dummies who have no clue what they are doing and must be guided like sheep through every step of a process, or robots will soon replace manual laborers en masse. I think both scenarios will come to pass. 

So maybe this technology will bring back jobs to America!!
    Actually, right now there is an all time record number of Americans employed, and the manufacturing sector has been booming for jobs.  
    And wages are stagnant with an expectation of falling this year relative to price increases AFAIK. Even the past few years have NOT been wage friendly. The wealthy became wealthier but did everyone else see the positive effects of this "booming economy"? 
    http://www.governing.com/topics/mgmt/gov-paycheck-wages-economy.html
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/eriksherman/2018/09/09/as-some-cheer-wage-growth-rate-median-income-is-only-up-by-5-1-since-2006/#7af1bac365dc

And apologies, I know it was off-topic. 
  • Reply 47 of 49
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,033member
    alandail said:

bluefire1 said:
    Apple is missing the boat with VR.  Oculus is killing it.
    Missing the boat? How so? What are the sales and profit numbers from Oculus?
    rezwits
  • Reply 48 of 49
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,033member

alandail said:
    danox said:
    alandail said:

bluefire1 said:
    Apple is missing the boat with VR.  Oculus is killing it.
    Where is Oculus is killing it? certainly not in any earnings report....The hardware for VR/AR has to get a lot smaller, even the Apple Watch still has to get smaller 2 generations away.
    Killing it with products, ecosystem, market share.  Their most important product for all of that comes out in a few weeks. They aren’t trying to make profit yet, they are trying to create and lead a whole new platform of computing and be the company that controls the ecosyste the way apple and google do with mobile.
    Ah, the old “they’re not trying to make money!” bit. Yeah no. Then they aren’t killing anything, except investors.

Market share by itself isn’t meaningful. Nokia had great market share, Blackberry too. But they didn’t make enough profit. 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 49 of 49
    grifmxgrifmx Posts: 92member
    looking forward to the Oculus Quest!