President Trump insists he was saving time by calling Cook 'Tim Apple'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

jesus, it's so absurd that this is a story or ever was a "story". where has our self respect gone?

btw, trump isn't on the spectrum. maybe adhd.

also, he's 72 years old, travels around the world regularly, and gives 2 hour long speeches and press conferences all the time. and people want to make a thing of "tim apple"??

pathetic

Oh I thought you quit AI over this story? Guess not. 

As for 2-hour “speeches”, his speech at CPAC is arguably more accurately labeled a “performance”: 

https://youtu.be/ZDfmyXOHOuc?t=59
    edited March 2019 Soli
  • Reply 22 of 85
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    President Trump doesn’t make “accidents” with peoples names.  He uses them as political weapons and for publicity.

“If he respects you, you don’t get a nickname, because he’s afraid what's going to come back,” Christie said of Trump.

Tim Apple is a relatively mild insult, but it’s still an insult.

Tim Apple for President.  Now who is laughing?
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 23 of 85
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    danR2222 said:

jesus, it's so absurd that this is a story or ever was a "story". where has our self respect gone?

It's about Dotus' self-respect. He made a trivial slip-up into another massive opportunity to lie about what he had said.
    A better president would have simply laughed it off, but good-natured honest self-deprecation isn't in the man's genes.
    That is what turns his non-stories into stories. He goes and tells stories.
    Exactly this. Rather than laugh and admit it was a slip-up, his ego demands he make up some lie about it being intentional. He has issues. 
    edited March 2019 Carnage
  • Reply 24 of 85
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    The hilarious part was Tim looking back at Don US after delivering his “Anyone can code” anthem - thinking “Ahemm, anyone...better find some new stoplap”
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 25 of 85
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Ack this was obvious so this official statement is completely unnecessary and spoils the joke. He would have been better of going with it, like Tim did with his response.
    That's one way to look at it.  Another way is that Tim was telling the emperor that his new clothes look fabulous.
  • Reply 26 of 85
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If it makes his puerile detractors feel good about themselves for one day, what’s the harm? The slight pause between “Tim... Apple” seemed obvious to me he just implied “Tim at Apple”. Whatever.
    muthuk_vanalingamJanNLboltsfan17
  • Reply 27 of 85
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So, no fan of Trump here, but that’s neither here nor there. 

This is/was a total non-story. So the guy made a language error that has zero consequences, and didn’t even impact the ability to understand what was being said. We’ve got to learn to let some things go. 
    It wasn't a story -- the first time he made that slip and named a person by the company they ran.
  • Reply 28 of 85
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    While this is a nonissue, in and of itself, especially in relation to actual crimes and ethical issues, in the grander picture there is a distinct pattern of Trump doing this and other things that make you question his mental faculties. As John Oliver joked, maybe at this stage of his dementia he really does think that the heads of companies have the company's name, like Marilyn Lockheed, as their surname since he was given his company from his father. When you wrap your identity in a brand name can you be surprised that such a person only sees you as such? I can't.

Bottom line: A simple slip of the tongue isn't an issue, but the lies trying to claim he did it on purpose is.
    edited March 2019 StrangeDaysroundaboutnowCarnage
  • Reply 29 of 85
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    If it makes his puerile detractors feel good about themselves for one day, what’s the harm? The slight pause between “Tim... Apple” seemed obvious to me he just implied “Tim at Apple”. Whatever.
    Hmm, unless they edited it out (which I suppose we'd have to check) there wasn't a slight pause in the Twitter post circulating, it was quite tight (unnaturally tight, hmm).
    Carnage
  • Reply 30 of 85
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    It does show a lack of respect.  

He has an answer for everything, doesn’t he?

Steve Apple would never stand for this!
    GeorgeBMacCarnage
  • Reply 31 of 85
    eriamjh said:
    🤣
  • Reply 32 of 85
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Just say “Tim”. Adding Apple is 300% more syllables.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 85
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    What is the fuss about this?  People make a big deal about this because it is about Trump  :D
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 34 of 85
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    eriamjh said:
    It does show a lack of respect.  

He has an answer for everything, doesn’t he?

I doubt Steve would’ve spent even one brain cycle thinking about it.
    edited March 2019 muthuk_vanalingampatchythepirate
  • Reply 35 of 85
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    cgWerks said:
    That actually makes sense, as Trump is a pretty fast talker. If you take the sentence and add a comma or semicolon, it makes a lot of sense
    "We appreciate it very much, Tim, Apple." (comma added)
    He's not just thanking Tim, but Apple (as a company) as well.

jbdragon said:
    Sounds good to me. Why say Tim Cook from Apple, when you can just shorten it to Tim Apple. Probably not, but he see's a lot of people every day. I'm sure he has Apple in in mind, and Tim Cook, and it came out Tim Apple. It's a perfectly normal thing. People are far from perfect. Obama said we had 57 states. Actually it was 58 total.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/57-states/

I can point to many others though the main stream media don't generally cover these type of things on the left. Every little thing Trump does, oh they are right there to jump all over it.
    Yeah, and then there is that. Obama made huge flubs all the time (including constantly stuttering a bunch). The MSM was nice enough to edit that stuff out for him, rather than highlighting, or even exaggerating it (or, out of context) for Trump.

While this isn't exactly one of Trump's 'fake news' moments with the MSM (there are MANY!), he's right about the way they pounced on it. That said, the way he acts, he does kind of deserve this kind of thing (though, not the fake news or misconstrual they often do).

It's the second time he has done such a thing.    My theory?   Autistics tend to see things more than people and Trump is autistic, just like Barron.   So to Trump, Tim and Apple are the same.  No distinction.

And, by that, I am not trying to be critical of Trump -- some of the world's most brilliant people have been autistic (or more correctly, Aspergians) - including the like of Thomas Jefferson, Albert Einstein and(very likely) our own Steve Jobs.

Maybe not -- but Asperger's fits with Trump and this is just one more example.
    Hmm, I hadn't really thought about that, but it would explain some things.

btw, trump isn't on the spectrum. maybe adhd.

Do we know that for sure? Most people his age weren't diagnosed.
    The big issue is that Trump, if shown a mistake of any one of his opponents (which is basically everyone) would belittle and demean them and take things out of context. Grace is gone and trump deserves the criticism. If he didn’t claim superior intellect, insist he has all the “best words”, and dropped his ego a bit, it wouldn’t be an issue. But... here we are. Now we get to watch him flip flop like a beached fish since he’s incapable of admitted he slipped up.
    GeorgeBMacroundaboutnowCarnage
  • Reply 36 of 85
    That would be a nice hypothetical if he didn't already claim it was done purposely to "save time and words," not actively pausing to spend more time not saying a preposition.
    StrangeDaysroundaboutnowCarnage
  • Reply 37 of 85
    I always assumed it was intentional just as an act of belittlement.
  • Reply 38 of 85
    President Prison...I just saved time too. It really does work. 
    GeorgeBMacDAalsethroundaboutnowCarnage
  • Reply 39 of 85
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

Little did he know how much time this slip up would waste him. Now he's explaining why on Twitter. I have a feeling though, had he slipped up with Jeff Bozo this wouldn't receive the mass media attention it did.

Trump + Apple, the perfect storm for a media frenzy. Case in point: this non-story.

• Reply 40 of 85
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    Thank you for this critical update on this momentous tech issue.  Next teaser for Trump obsessed folks:  "Sources tell us DT uses screen protectors on his iPhone, but leaves air bubbles sometimes."  
    edited March 2019 SpamSandwich