President Trump insists he was saving time by calling Cook 'Tim Apple'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    eriamjh said:
    It does show a lack of respect.  

He has an answer for everything, doesn’t he?

Steve Apple would never stand for this!
    Steve Apple wouldn't be in the same room with him.

• Reply 42 of 85
    agmsragmsr Posts: 6member
    When I heard the comment while watching the replay on YouTube, my impression was that he was correcting himself mid-sentence: First thanking "Tim", but then realizing he should thank the company, he quickly said "Apple". I didn't think anything more of it, until all the breaking-news stories on it.
  • Reply 43 of 85
    I like abbreviations.  How about "Donald Liar."
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 44 of 85
    ciacia Posts: 248member
    jbdragon said:
    Sounds good to me. Why say Tim Cook from Apple, when you can just shorten it to Tim Apple. Probably not, but he see's a lot of people every day. I'm sure he has Apple in in mind, and Tim Cook, and it came out Tim Apple. It's a perfectly normal thing. People are far from perfect. Obama said we had 57 states. Actually it was 58 total.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/57-states/

I can point to many others though the main stream media don't generally cover these type of things on the left. Every little thing Trump does, oh they are right there to jump all over it.
    Exactly. That's why I just say "Trump Idiot" vs the normal "President Trump is an idiot."
    roundaboutnowRobots78
  • Reply 45 of 85
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member
    jbdragon said:
    Sounds good to me. Why say Tim Cook from Apple, when you can just shorten it to Tim Apple. Probably not, but he see's a lot of people every day. I'm sure he has Apple in in mind, and Tim Cook, and it came out Tim Apple. It's a perfectly normal thing. People are far from perfect. Obama said we had 57 states. Actually it was 58 total.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/57-states/

I can point to many others though the main stream media don't generally cover these type of things on the left. Every little thing Trump does, oh they are right there to jump all over it.
    If Trump admitted to the slip ups (as Obama did in the Snopes reference you cited), they would not be news.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-says-he-did-say-tim-cook-slams-tim-apple-reports-as-fake-news-2019-3

It's his mendacity that makes little slip ups into news.
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 46 of 85
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    jkichline said:
    The big issue is that Trump, if shown a mistake of any one of his opponents (which is basically everyone) would belittle and demean them and take things out of context. Grace is gone and trump deserves the criticism. If he didn’t claim superior intellect, insist he has all the “best words”, and dropped his ego a bit, it wouldn’t be an issue. But... here we are. Now we get to watch him flip flop like a beached fish since he’s incapable of admitted he slipped up.
    Yep, that's why I said that the way he acts, he kind of deserves it. My point was more the inconsistency/slant/bias of the MSM. And, it isn't just Trump causing this, as they did the same with Bush (Jr.) to a lesser extent (in comparison to, as I pointed out, Obama). They can't just be journalists or reporters, they have to color and paint the 'news' such that it reflects the view they want the public to take on it.

eriamjh said:

Hmm, I don't think Steve would have as many issues with him, as Cook probably does. I actually respect Cook more in that he's willing to come to the table, despite the differences, rather than act like an infant (as so many others are).

agmsr said:
    When I heard the comment while watching the replay on YouTube, my impression was that he was correcting himself mid-sentence: First thanking "Tim", but then realizing he should thank the company, he quickly said "Apple". I didn't think anything more of it, until all the breaking-news stories on it.
    That was what I was wondering, too, until I watched the clip (I didn't have my headphones and didn't want sound, so didn't play it when the article first was posted).

It was too quick for that, though. As I mentioned above... almost so quick that it seemed unnatural. I don't have time to hunt down the source material, but it would be interesting to see if it has been 'sweetened.' That happens so much these days in the MSM that it's hard to trust anything that isn't a real source clip.
  • Reply 47 of 85
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    bsimpsen said:
    If Trump admitted to the slip ups (as Obama did in the Snopes reference you cited), they would not be news.
    Obama usually didn't have to... as I mentioned above, the MSM typically cleaned up his goofs so the general public never made an issue of them in the first place.

Also, while I agree about Trump's personality and sometimes behavior, the press made a big deal of this before Trump responded with his attempt at defending himself.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 48 of 85
    sy1492sy1492 Posts: 13member
    danR2222 said:
    "save time"
    Because, you see, 'Apple' has fewer letters and syllables than 'Cook'.
    But then, for real savings, why not 'Tim Covfefe'?
    Instead of Tim Cook from Apple Inc, Tim Apple ... its not 3d chess. He also has done this is the past, so its not a stretch. 
    edited March 2019 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 49 of 85
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Who cares, whats the harm?
  • Reply 50 of 85
    sy1492sy1492 Posts: 13member
    eriamjh said:

I don't think Steve Apple wasn't that stupid to reject invitations from POTUS, no matter who it is.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 51 of 85
    rwx9901rwx9901 Posts: 100member
    Good grief who the hell cares.
    SpamSandwichpatchythepirate
  • Reply 52 of 85
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    knowitall said:
    It's not the slip of the tongue.
    It's the multiple fabrications, stories, explanations, and simple lies he's spouted.
    If Trump had just said "I was tired and screwed up his name" it would have been over before it started. But he has had a bunch of different, mutually conflicting, explanations of what happened. That implies an ego that can't acknowledge mistakes. That's a dangerous personality to have in a position of power.
    GeorgeBMacbsimpsenroundaboutnowfastasleepRobots78
  • Reply 53 of 85
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,666member
    President trump has mentioned Tim Cook by his proper name numerous times in the past. It’s not like he just forgot tims name. He’s not the TelePrompTer dependent type. 
    He it’s possible he thought to say Tim Cook of Apple but shortened it in his own mind. Likely sounded better in his head. It’s like saying bill Microsoft or Jeff amazon. 

It’s pretty funny though and even cook got a kick out of it with his twitter handle. 
    Never saw a president bullied so much for every little thing. Good thing he knows how to handle it. Hes human. Along with his successes, he is going to make a few mistakes. 

patchythepirate
  • Reply 54 of 85
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member
    cgWerks said:
    Also, while I agree about Trump's personality and sometimes behavior, the press made a big deal of this before Trump responded with his attempt at defending himself.
    Correct. Trump's mendacity has been on display for decades. He's fabricated hyperbolic explanations for past slips, so there is ample reason to call him out when they happen. Other people don't get such treatment because they don't display such behavior. And, public persona often do get such treatment, even absent behavior to attract it. In the Obama slip up you cited, he was also called out before he offered his mea culpa.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 55 of 85
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,666member
    We’ve had terrible presidents who were good at putting on a face and speaking well and we’ve had great presidents who had poor body language and didn’t always turn Shakespeare green with envy during their speeches. I’ll take the latter every time. 
    edited March 2019 cgWerks
  • Reply 56 of 85
    Is there nothing this idiot won't lie about?! To the defenders of the idiot, this is all over the news as a reminder of just how feeble minded he is.
  • Reply 57 of 85
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    DAalseth said:
    knowitall said:
    It's not the slip of the tongue.
    It's the multiple fabrications, stories, explanations, and simple lies he's spouted.
    If Trump had just said "I was tired and screwed up his name" it would have been over before it started. But he has had a bunch of different, mutually conflicting, explanations of what happened. That implies an ego that can't acknowledge mistakes. That's a dangerous personality to have in a position of power.
    I got news for you: Every national leader has a huge ego. Shrinking violets don’t pursue positions of great power and visibility.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 58 of 85
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sy1492 said:
    eriamjh said:

I don't think Steve Apple wasn't that stupid to reject invitations from POTUS, no matter who it is.
    Steve didn't waste his time with fools and had no patience with them.  But, if he had met with him, their meeting would have been epic because he would not likely have held back saying what he really meant.  Tim Apple (formerly known as Tim Cook) has more finesse and subtlety.
  • Reply 59 of 85
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    And then the amusing, but ultimately harmless mistake becomes a lie, because the moron in chief cannot countenance admitting fault. 

How is this behaviour anything other than laughable at this point?  Does anyone take the buffoon seriously?
    GeorgeBMacMplsProundaboutnowsingularity
  • Reply 60 of 85
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    crowley said:
    And then the amusing, but ultimately harmless mistake becomes a lie, because the moron in chief cannot countenance admitting fault. 

How is this behaviour anything other than laughable at this point?  Does anyone take the buffoon seriously?
    Mr. Drumph is just continuing the narcissist's folly - he's never wrong, and even when faced with incontrovertible evidence he'll come up with an even more unbelievable story to explain it.

I do tend to agree with others, though - this is pretty much a non-story that has been made into one. 
    edited March 2019 GeorgeBMacCarnage