Apple's 'It's show time' video and Apple News event is on March 25 at Steve Jobs Theater

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2019
Apple has invited members of the press to an event at the Steve Jobs Theater on March 25, where the company is expected to unveil news and video services.

The March 25 event will be held at the Steve Jobs Theater
The March 25 event will be held at the Steve Jobs Theater

The invitations for the March 25 event confirm long standing rumors of the date and also that the event will be held at the Steve Jobs Theater at Apple Park in Cupertino. No more details than the time and venue are included, but the invite does say that "it's show time" and includes an animation with a distinct film leader countdown indicative of an expected video service.

Apple previously used the "it's showtime" -- notably without the space between "show" and "time" -- tagline in September 2006 when it debuted the Apple TV.

Apple has not divulged hints as to what will be announced at the event, but rumors point to new services rather than hardware. Specifically, Apple's updating of its news offering into a subscription service is believed to be central to the event.

Similarly, the forthcoming streaming video service from Apple is at least expected to be revealed even if its actual launch may not be until later in the year.

Last year's March event concentrated on education but did also include hardware releases, most importantly an updated iPad.

Based on evidence from the supply chain, and usually reliable analysts such as Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple is expected to release a variety of new products across the whole of 2019. However, the only ones even occasionally being mentioned as possible for the March 25 event are more updated iPads, the long-awaited AirPower charging pad and the possibility of a new iPod touch.

AppleInsider will be at the March event where we expect Apple's news and video services to dominate. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS and follow us follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider on Twitter and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.
ronnAppleExposed

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

Calling the day off for this one!

cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 49
    I just hope they don’t announce a new HomePod. I just broke down and bought one. Part of me is also worried they might drop the price. In which case I might have over paid. But frankly now that I own it, it’s worth every penny. (Also it’s never going to stop being a great AirPlay speaker).

I’m iffy on whether or not I’ll pay for an Apple streaming service. If it’s free or bundled with Apple Music, great. But if they want me to pay 10 bucks extra for it or something like that I’ll just not buy it. I use my sister’s Netflix login, and I have a great torrent site. Frankly the UIs for most streaming services are worse than my torrent site, so why pay for them?

My sister pays for Netflix, CraveTV (canadian service), and Amazon Prime. So the whole family shares those across our AppleTVs. 

I would probably enjoy a service made by Apple. But there are so many services out there I just can’t be bothered to pay for all of them. Especially when crave and Amazon both have apps designed for garbage platforms ported to the Apple TV App Store. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 49
    I just hope they don’t announce a new HomePod. I just broke down and bought one. Part of me is also worried they might drop the price. In which case I might have over paid. But frankly now that I own it, it’s worth every penny. (Also it’s never going to stop being a great AirPlay speaker).

I’m iffy on whether or not I’ll pay for an Apple streaming service. If it’s free or bundled with Apple Music, great. But if they want me to pay 10 bucks extra for it or something like that I’ll just not buy it. I use my sister’s Netflix login, and I have a great torrent site. Frankly the UIs for most streaming services are worse than my torrent site, so why pay for them?

My sister pays for Netflix, CraveTV (canadian service), and Amazon Prime. So the whole family shares those across our AppleTVs. 

I would probably enjoy a service made by Apple. But there are so many services out there I just can’t be bothered to pay for all of them. Especially when crave and Amazon both have apps designed for garbage platforms ported to the Apple TV App Store. 

Those selfish replies about hoping a new product isn't released because you just bought one are well, selfish. Think of everyone else. There's always gonna be a new product so someone is gonna buy before next release every time.

Also you wouldn't enjoy an Apple service because you'll just torrent.

mwhiteSolilollivermacxpresspscooter63MisterKitHenryDJPtycho_macuser
  • Reply 4 of 49
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

So you’re a common thief then. Sharing service logins with family members is unethical at best and certainly against the terms of service with streaming services. Always interesting to see thieves proudly announcing their thievery to the world. And the “everybody does it” excuse doesn’t hold water, as well as the “evil corporations charge too much and therefore it’s okay to steal from them” rationale. 
    king editor the gratedavgreglolliverramanpfaffpscooter63MisterKitAppleExposedsteveaurandominternetpersontycho_macuser
  • Reply 5 of 49
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Monday's an odd choice. I suppose having it on their own grounds makes venue access easier for preparation, but is there anything else that might conflict? Maybe they're just trying to get away from Tuesday announcements.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

I've found that more than ever, tech choices are becoming even more personal. And companies are all uniformly turning to subscription models. I personally don't find subscriptions valuable, although some are unavoidable - like cell service. But when MS Office turned to subscriptions, I simply moved to a different platform. the iWork suite works fine for me, and it has better pricing.

I don't watch enough TV to make any subscription a value. Luckily, I do get a lot of OTA in my location. I can see where others might value it. My cable modem is fast and reliable enough that the subscription for it at $50/mo is a value. I similarly buy enough at Amazon that Prime pays for itself in ease of shopping. It comes with some music and video services I rarely use.

I would consider a HomePod if it came with a lifetime subscription, for free, to Apple Music. on that device. That is never going to happen, and I strongly suspect Apple actually makes little profit on the HomePod hardware. Their vig comes from the music service it supports. I just don't value that. My car has a radio, and t-mobile gave me a year free of Pandora. It suffices. I ditched the Sirius XM after one trial period and one year I got at a discount. Even at the discount, it was not valuable to me. I might pay as much as $20/yr for either it or Apple Music. Even Apple Music Match isn't valuable to me. But of course, YMMV. I simply find this stuff valuable.

But I will watch the 3/25 event, because it represents choices, and choices are always good. If a subscription of stuff becomes available, I will consider it. One thing I would consider is a pay per view live sports event. Watch an out of market game live for say $.99? I might do that. 
  • Reply 7 of 49
    A market demographic of one.

You should only buy stuff you need or brings joy.   If you needed it last week, then it was good deal, and every moment you have it brings you joy or profit (hopefully both).   You could be dead tomorrow... so why worry about what may or may not happen.
    I’m iffy on whether or not I’ll pay for an Apple streaming service. If it’s free or bundled with Apple Music, great. But if they want me to pay 10 bucks extra for it or something like that I’ll just not buy it. I use my sister’s Netflix login, and I have a great torrent site. Frankly the UIs for most streaming services are worse than my torrent site, so why pay for them? My sister pays for Netflix, CraveTV (canadian service), and Amazon Prime. So the whole family shares those across our AppleTVs. 

yeah, why pay for the Uber, when you can just steal rides on the bus by downloading copies of counterfeit chits, or use your sister's non-transferable token.  I'm sure the transit system will use all the extra free rides they give out to justify not upgrading the quality of their services.

Your logic is really economically sound.   Why pay for quality, when you can steal crap... because the legal supplied stuff is such a pain to use than the illegal stolen/counterfeit crap.  Because in not paying for it, the owner of the system doesn't have the money to upgrade the site, so they can't improve it through the volume increase, so they have to raise the prices of the content, so then more people steal it, reducing funding for additional content and site upgrades.... to the point that there is no money and no netflix, and then Amazon Prime charges your sister $500 a year for Prime (because they can), which she won't pay for, and drops the service.  

But you got torrents.

A winning plan... I hope everyone follows it.

(I accept the counter argument that some companies will take your money and not invest it into quality [even Apple ;-(].   A valid risk...  profit takers)

curtis hannahpscooter63MisterKittycho_macuser
  • Reply 8 of 49
    Meanwhile we sit here with no iMac refresh/update in over a year. Sure, I have a late 2013 iMac 14,2 that’s running Mojave just fine but its beginning to show its age a bit. How long do I wait for the hardware to go along with the fancy services coming out? What about the Mac Pro? The MacBook category? Will there ever be a Mac oriented Apple Event? Is it all iOS from here on? 
    welshdogentropyscurtis hannahelijahg
  • Reply 9 of 49
    lkrupp said:
    Meanwhile we sit here with no iMac refresh/update in over a year. Sure, I have a late 2013 iMac 14,2 that’s running Mojave just fine but its beginning to show its age a bit. How long do I wait for the hardware to go along with the fancy services coming out? 
    I've got a mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard humming away next to my recent iMac. I just ripped a CD in iTunes 11.4, and updated my iTunes Match library. Tonight I'll be hammering away on the poor old thing, writing stories and whatnot. That's old-timey!
    AppleExposedMisterKit
  • Reply 10 of 49
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    lkrupp said:
    Meanwhile we sit here with no iMac refresh/update in over a year. Sure, I have a late 2013 iMac 14,2 that’s running Mojave just fine but its beginning to show its age a bit. How long do I wait for the hardware to go along with the fancy services coming out? What about the Mac Pro? The MacBook category? Will there ever be a Mac oriented Apple Event? Is it all iOS from here on? 
    Quite so.
    although it is 644 days since the last iMac update. And no signs of a new one, so the generation old (or is it two?) iMac is still being sold at new price in Cook’s Apple.
    elijahg
  • Reply 11 of 49
    lkrupp said:
    I would think your list of wants is usually addressed at WWDC, where the Mac power users congregate.  AndRemember, part of this is Mac's are subject to the Whims of Intel's chip release schedule, iDevices and content aren't.   There isn't any major new intel chip sets that will magically enable fancy services (at least none that aren't already on the current top-o-tho-line iMac/MBPs).
    fastasleepAppleExposedMisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 49
    "Apple previously used the "it's showtime" -- notably without the space between "show" and "time" -- tagline in September 2006 when it debuted the Apple TV."

If I may, my dream event:

It's show time.

AppleTV 5 announced
    New Siri remote with 3D touch and Taptic Engine
    animoji karaoke
    A12 Chip with game developers on board.

New video service
    free to all Apple users
    Apple will support 4k Dolby Vision/Atmos on every production

HomePod Soundbar
    Atmos support and pairs with HomePods

AirPower
    Internal battery so it works unplugged
    Supports new Siri Remote
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 13 of 49
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    lkrupp said:
    I would think your list of wants is usually addressed at WWDC, where the Mac power users congregate.  AndRemember, part of this is Mac's are subject to the Whims of Intel's chip release schedule, iDevices and content aren't.   There isn't any major new intel chip sets that will magically enable fancy services (at least none that aren't already on the current top-o-tho-line iMac/MBPs).
    iMacs aren’t pro user devices, they were originally built for Apple’s Friends, who weren’t all Larry Ellison, to paraphrase some old dead white guy.

Agree the new Mac pro is probably slated for WWDC.

it isn’t intel an iMac update is waiting for, intel are producing series 9 now, compared with the iMac series 7. If there is a further wait for iMacs, it is probably for AMD Navi GPUs due “mid year”. Or because Cook wants people to buy iPads instead, because the iPad’s limitations are not relevant in Cook world.
    edited March 2019 elijahg
  • Reply 14 of 49
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    lkrupp said:

So you’re a common thief then. Sharing service logins with family members is unethical at best and certainly against the terms of service with streaming services. Always interesting to see thieves proudly announcing their thievery to the world. And the “everybody does it” excuse doesn’t hold water, as well as the “evil corporations charge too much and therefore it’s okay to steal from them” rationale. 
    I’m sure you’re a proud member of society and never do anything wrong ever. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 15 of 49
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

Calling the day off for this one!

That’s so sad. You get nothing out of calling off work for a low level announcement from Apple when you can get all the information after you get off work. 
    elijahgAppleExposed
  • Reply 16 of 49
    lkrupp said:

I’m sure you’re a proud member of society and never do anything wrong ever. 
    No one is without sin but to proudly announce your evil doings to the world is beyond the pale. In the early 1980’s I was into removing copy protection from Apple II games so they could be copied at will. I eventually saw first hand what software piracy did to developers. “Because I won’t get caught” is a convenient rationalization. 
    king editor the gratepscooter63AppleExposedMisterKit
  • Reply 17 of 49
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    One can never tell about Apple, but it is about something better than a "me too" streaming service or another attempt at snatching up subscription revenue for magazines and newspapers. I hate rental content and already have a streaming service- YouTube TV. No interest whatsoever in the content rumored to be on Apple's future offering. 

As to the comment in the iMac, exactly what does your iMac not have that you would want if there were a new one? The Mac is about 10% of Apple's business the last time I checked (it could have changed, but not by very much) and is obviously not a big part of Cook's priorities. That is part of the reason I sold my MacBook Pro and bought a Surface Pro to go along with my iPad Pro 12.9 and the new Mac mini + a headless Mac Pro (2010) beast for heavy lifting.

Do not expect it, but a new version of the Apple LED Cinema Display would be nice.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    lkrupp said:
    Well they seem to do the massive hardware updates every other year at WWDC, so it's certainly possible. I'd also like to say odds are even higher because they will most likely announce the next Mac Pro there and while they might, it would be a bad move to make the iMac Pro (and as such the basic iMac) immediately seem dated in comparison. 

As for the event I'd say it would be a Final Cut Pro update based on the announcement if it weren't for the strong streaming service rumors. It's still safe to assume that all of Apples Pro products are updating later this year, but not that likely this month. This event again seems perfect for the next Apple TV update (it'd be hard to believe Apple is doing this streaming service without a device with its prime experience in mind). Otherwise these March events are usually education or their lower end/obscure products releases. That obviously being the lower end iPad(including iPad mini) and under the rather small chance, an iPhone cheaper than the XR, not saying it would be an SE sequel, but it would the low model in response to the XR/XS low sales(one can dream if it happens).

My question is will we see 1.Hardware spread out relatively evenly between the keynotes this year, or mostly pushed to one or two events like last year.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    The only ‘service’ i’m Interested in getting from Apple is a higher free icloud allowance for phone backup. 

The 5gb shared storage they offer is pathetic
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 20 of 49
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    lkrupp said:
    Make that almost two years for the iMac. The thing that doesn't make sense to me is new Mac releases come with current specs at the time of the release, i.e. they sport Intel CPUs and GPUs that've only recently been released. This proves the hardware design doesn't take long to produce. So what does Apple do with their Mac hardware team between releases? Do they sit twiddling their thumbs? I doubt they help on the iPhone or iPad hardware as it's a different architecture entirely. 

I've got a 2012 iMac, which is getting pretty long in the tooth now. It has a Geforce 680MX (PassMark score 4,275) which was a really great GPU at the time, whilst the Radeon 580 in the new (not really) iMacs is pretty poor. It gets a PassMark of 7,753, compared to 11,300 for the more current but still not new Nvidia GTX980TI. I paid a fair bit for the privilege of the 680MX at the time which was fine, but now an upgraded GPU is not even an option. I wish Apple would get over their latest GPU manufacturer spat with Nvidia and put something decent in the iMacs. AMD's cards are just miles off the performance of Nvidia cards at the moment.

Oh and another gripe is their continued use of hard disks in all their desktops. A friend got the base 21" iMac recently, and it's embarrassingly sluggish. It takes a good 5 minutes to start up and even then Safari bogs down easily. They were expecting a nice speedy machine, but it was more like a 5 year old PC. If they can sell solid-state MacBooks for $1200, they can do the same for a $2300 iMac.