AT&T raises DirecTV Now subscription by $10, shakes up packages for new customers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    cpsro said:
    It's still the only streaming service to offer the Tennis Channel.
    And it's free to stream over cellular if you're an AT&T Wireless customer.
    Not true! Tennis Channel is available on Sling and You Tube, but each of those services have their own drawbacks. 
  • Reply 22 of 40
    I still get the $15 discount for having AT&T cell services.  But this about the last straw!!! Once this costs what cable costs, I’m eliminating it.  I’ll miss NASCAR on FS1 but I’ll learn to give it up and watch football for free instead.     
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Wow! Looky here — a winning strategy!!!!

Sheeesh...
  • Reply 24 of 40
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    lkrupp said:
    How’s that cord cutting going, y’all?

agilealtitude
    said:
    Netflix recently hiked their prices in Canada also. Save us, Apple, with your upcoming rival service.
    Not a chance. If Apple introduces a competing service at a lower price they will immediately be sued for collusion, anti-trust, price fixing or what ever the government can come up with.
    What are you talking about? Why would the government sue a company for lowering their prices unless they did do something illegal (as in the e-book case which Apple litigated and lost at every level). 
  • Reply 25 of 40
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    Note to forum members: "losing" (as in not winning) and "loosing" (as in not tightening) are two different words with two entirely different meanings. This is why you can't rely on spellcheck, you have to learn stuff like how to spell.

Now as for AT&T and DirecTV: wow, didn't even wait a year to double the increase of their last increase. I know there's a lot of great TV shows out there these days, but until the US gets a government that prizes competition and punishes monopolists again, this sort of abuse is going to keep happening and spread.

Aside from cancelling DirecTV and telling AT&T to go fark themselves, here's something else you can do to help: call your congresspeople and demand that the House and Senate pass the Restore Net Neutrality act. Make AT&T cry.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    smsmsmsm Posts: 14member
    I am a charter member of Direct TV Now and when I sign up they said my rates would not change unless I quit and subscribe sometime afterward.  We shall see in August!  If their is a bump up in August, I will file a class action lawsuit against AT&T and Direct TV Now!
    I am under the same charter. But what I recall is what they said was not in the foreseeable future. They left it open as to if or when pricing would change. They gave themselves wiggle room. Nothing lasts forever.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    I'm enjoying my free over the air tv channels. I signed up for the original free Apple 4K tv deal. Cancelled for the summer and was going to sign up again this pas fall but the prices increased. I figured for that price I could watch a lot of iTunes movies commercial free. What I want and when I want. Now the prices rise again. I'll stick with the OTA tv with iTunes, Netflix, and Prime.

In the end it worries me because I have AT&T stock and I want to see the company make the right moves. Pricing yourself out of the market isn't the right move.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    I just checked my April Bill, my “Go Big” plan still shows $40

However I agree with the previous posts, DVR is absolutely terrible - it’s been in Beta way too long - when I try to rewind a recording using the Apple TV remote, it changes the channel instead

I only use DTV Now for outside my house TV or for the History channel - which is not on Playstation Vue, my other streaming service

PS Vue has the best DVR hands down !!! - Its better then any cable box dvr that I have used. 

The only negative issue with PS Vue is lack of 100% viewing support outside of your home network, otherwise its my favorite

I will be canceling DirectvNow before the next billing cycle because I have now transition to  Youtube Premium when outside my home.

• Reply 29 of 40
    I'm not sure what AT&T is trying to do with the free service WatchTv that comes with my cellular plan.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 30 of 40
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    I am a charter member of Direct TV Now and when I sign up they said my rates would not change unless I quit and subscribe sometime afterward.  We shall see in August!  If their is a bump up in August, I will file a class action lawsuit against AT&T and Direct TV Now!
    I would bet that somewhere in the fine print they are covered to allow a ratr increase. 
  • Reply 31 of 40
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I signed up to get the free Apple TV and then I quit. I have to say I'm glad I did. The current prices are just crazy. Why cut the cord just so sign up to this service at those crazy prices? Why pay 2 company's when you can just pay one at the same price point or maybe even a little less.

Or don't sign up to any of these. Do as I did and throw up a large antenna and get your TV that way. There's a number of DVR options for antenna use these days. Really, what you can't watch, you can't really miss. I get most of my TV this way. It's a little hard at first but it gets easier until you get to the point of not caring.

Of course Internet only costs have shot up. Sometimes a basic Bundle is cheaper and I've done that. Gotten a basic cable Box and the local channels and a couple others, and never pulled it out of the Box. Didn't watch a single cableTV channel. Still only used the Internet and still got my TV from the antenna, which I have a DVR (Tivo) connected. They raised prices $5 on everything less that a year ago and now jacking up another $10 already? I'd drop them like a rock.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    GHammerGHammer Posts: 52member
    Nah, not going to continue. Started with them at $35 a month, add $15 in under a year, that's a 42% increase in less than 12 months. While there are 2 channels on DTN that aren't in YouTube TV, I'll just have to do without them. Plus, though every other streaming service has my local channels, DTN 'Not available yet'. I have to question so-called 'cord cutters' who then succumb to multiple paid services for their video fix. Are they homebound? Perhaps agoraphobic? Enjoy presiding over your shiny new failure AT&T!
  • Reply 33 of 40
    LOL!

Here’s the deal; I signed up for that, too. I got hit with the increase in August. When I contacted them to complain, I was told it’s a “$25 discount, not a set $35 price,” meaning they can raise the price to whatever they want, as long as they give the $25 discount. I threatened to cancel, and had it out with a rep in chat. I had a call from a supervisor about 5 minutes later. They gave me a free month, but the price definitely went up to $40, meaning it will now be $50 when this increase hits. I canceled the following week. I subscribed to Philo, over 50 channels for $20 per month. Combine that with Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime, and OTA channels, and It’s still cheaper than DTVNow, at this rate. 
  • Reply 34 of 40
    cpsro said:
    It's still the only streaming service to offer the Tennis Channel.
    And it's free to stream over cellular if you're an AT&T Wireless customer.
    SlingTV has the Tennis channel as part of their $5 Sports Extra. 
  • Reply 35 of 40

What are the alternatives? I tried PlaystationVue and it sucked. Does Dish offer something comparable? I'd gladly switch just so that I don't have to give AT&T my money. Hate those aholes.
    DISH has SlingTV.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    I paid $60 for Internet/phone combo, then paid $35 for DTVNow basic 65 channels for a total of $95/month, cheaper than the $140 I was paying. 

Recently my Internet went up to $70. With DTVNow increasing to $50, my new monthly total is $120.

Cord cutting no longer makes sense for me, since I can get a cable triple play with a second provider that has faster broadband, 200 channels+local and DVR that works well for about $120 all in at a two year locked in price. I know I will have to battle pricing in two years, but that's a long way out.

Are you listening AT&T? If this increase goes into effect, I will drop DTVNow
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Awful forever beta DVR, unreliable streaming — soon with fewer channels and a higher price!

I'm out!
  • Reply 38 of 40
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Wow... I hope this is not a yearly ritual.
    They should at least increase the number of simultaneous streams.
    I signed up on day 1 for the GoBig package for $35 and now it going to be $50.
    If more cable companies like FiOS and Comcast were to offer OTT streaming on AppleTV like Spectrum does, AT&T would lose a lot of customers.
    Same here: Go Big for $35 and will be $0 cuz I’ll cancel the shit!
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 39 of 40
    rnb2rnb2 Posts: 61member
    Well, finally got the "Dear John" e-mail yesterday. The new packages are ridiculous - how can I go from my current plan at $45 (or even the new $55) for 85+ channels, to the new plan at $50 for 40+ channels (though including HBO, which I'm only paying $5 for)? There are several common channels that are not available AT ALL on the new plans, like AMC, Animal Planet, BBC America, Comedy Central, Discovery, Food Network, HGTV, IFC, Lifetime, Nickelodeon, Sundance, Travel Channel, and many others. Their new plans now look like the worst deals in the streaming space, with no real competition for the title.

Given all that, the plan that I'm currently on, while more expensive than I'm happy with at $60 with HBO, is still a decent deal compared to what I would have to pay to cobble together something similar via a combination of other streamers, and I'd still lose some channels. I could go with Sling Blue, which would give me most of the cable channels we care about (minus Animal Planet), but I'd also lose three of the four broadcast networks I currently get (Sling only has NBC in my area), and by the time I add their (hopefully better-performing) DVR and $15 for HBO Now, I'm at $45 minimum. Plus, my wife is fairly comfortable with the DirecTV Now interface - she hated YouTubeTV, so this is a consideration.

I was planning to cut back to the lowest (old) DirecTV Now plan in a few weeks to save a bit, but now that plan is no longer available. Assuming that my current plan is a money loser for AT&T, maybe I just keep it until they raise the price again or start taking things away... 
  • Reply 40 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    bagpiper said:
    I just checked my April Bill, my “Go Big” plan still shows $40

However I agree with the previous posts, DVR is absolutely terrible - it’s been in Beta way too long - when I try to rewind a recording using the Apple TV remote, it changes the channel instead

I only use DTV Now for outside my house TV or for the History channel - which is not on Playstation Vue, my other streaming service

PS Vue has the best DVR hands down !!! - Its better then any cable box dvr that I have used. 

The only negative issue with PS Vue is lack of 100% viewing support outside of your home network, otherwise its my favorite

YouTubeTV may have the better DVR service among streaming services. It's also available outside of your home network. includes up to 6 individual user accounts, and each with their own CloudDVR.

You'd have to check channel coverage to make sure it includes what you spend time watching. It has a different focus than ATT/DirectTV which TBH has a few "never gonna watch" channels too just as they all do. Nearly impossible to subscribe to any streaming service where you actually want to pay for all the channels you're getting. 
    edited March 2019