Xserve cluster

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
the apple store is back up and at first it looked like there was nothing new (notably the ipod), but apple DID add a new configuration of the Xserve made specifically for cluster. basically just a cheaper model without all the drive bays as far as i can tell.

Edit: that's weird. i could have sworn there was a different picture for the Xserve cluster but now the store shows the usual xserve enclosure for both the xserve and the xserve cluster config. did anyone else see the new enclosure? basically it looked like it had one drive bay on the left, and most of the rest of the front appeared to be intake vents.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Actually it's best attributes is it's a Dual Proc. No CDROM or Dual Gigabit but it's not bad for someone who already has a base XServe.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Picture here ... about halfway down on the right.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
  • Reply 4 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

What I'd really be interested in is seeing what was done with the extra space where the HDD carriers would have been...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

What I'd really be interested in is seeing what was done with the extra space where the HDD carriers would have been...

probably nothing significant. i'd assume that to keep costs down this isn't really a different model. just a regular xserve with a different front plate and the ata busses removed. maybe there is a little ductwork in there, but essentially this seems to be simply a stripped down xserve.

genentech probably wanted a bunch of these.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0303/18.xserve.php

Quote:

Apple introduces Xserve cluster configuration

by Jim Dalrymple, [email protected]

March 18, 2003 1:40 pm ET

Apple Computer Inc. on Tuesday introduced a new Xserve configuration specifically designed for customers seeking clustering capabilities. Available for US$2799, the new Xserve configuration keeps the high-end power, but loses equipment not necessary for the clustering marketplace.

The Cluster Node Xserve comes with dual 1.33GHz PowerPC G4 processors; 2MB L3 cache per processor; 256MB DDR333 SDRAM; 60GB ATA/133 ADM; Mac OS X Server (10 client); and Gigabit Ethernet. This configuration does away with the video card and the expansion hard drive bays found in the normal Xserve, making this a completely headless machine.

"This configuration is tailored to bring the Xserve form factor with dual processing power in at a lower price point," Doug Brooks, Xserve Product Manager, told MacCentral. "This machine is really streamlined for the price/performance in this market."

Designed for the life sciences market, the Cluster Node Xserve can be used for applications such as BLAST, Shake and other processor intensive applications. Apple also expects more interest from the creative markets to handle distributed rendering and distributed compositing.

Until today organizations that wanted to use an Apple server for these types of intensive applications had to purchase an Xserve, which had more than the customer needed. The Cluster Node brings the power of the Xserve, but at a $1,000 savings.

"This configuration is tailored to bring the Xserve form factor with dual processing power in at a lower price point," said Brooks. "This machine is really streamlined for the price/performance in this market."

The Cluster Node comes with a Mac OS X Server 10 client license instead of the unlimited license normally associated with an Xserve. Brooks explained that this is to allow remote administration of the server and that an unlimited license wouldn't be needed for these types of applications.

Apple also sees an opportunity to expand its reach with the introduction of the Cluster Node machine in a market where many people use Linux.

"We think this configuration will accelerate adoption and allow us to be more competitive with some of the Linux machines," said Brooks.

• Reply 7 of 10
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Maybe this is a sign that Panther will be out soon, with clustering capabilities.

These are great if you use BLAST or Shake I guess, but what about every other application?

There are third party clustering apps, but you know how Apple likes doing it their way.

Barto
  • Reply 8 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Maybe this is a sign that Panther will be out soon, with clustering capabilities.

These are great if you use BLAST or Shake I guess, but what about every other application?

There are third party clustering apps, but you know how Apple likes doing it their way.

Barto

Very cool idea. Hopefully someday I'll be able to afford multiple Macs ....wife permitting LOL
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jkbjkb Posts: 18member
    Hello,

Quote:

Ship time on these is 6 to 8 weeks. I'm of the opinion that 10.2.5, probably due in 6 weeks, will have a command line only version of clustering built-in. 10.3, released later in the summer or fall, will put a GUI on the clustering process and call it a feature. See journalling in 10.2.2 as an example.

jkb
  • Reply 10 of 10
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jkb

Hello,

Ship time on these is 6 to 8 weeks. I'm of the opinion that 10.2.5, probably due in 6 weeks, will have a command line only version of clustering built-in. 10.3, released later in the summer or fall, will put a GUI on the clustering process and call it a feature. See journalling in 10.2.2 as an example.

jkb

I haven't seen anything in the seed notes re clustering.

(Can I say that?)

Clustering would be great but I have my doubts as to an Apple implementation.

I'm pretty sure Apple would make a major announcement of Clustering but not as a 'feature'. There would probably be $$$ associated with the software as well.

Dobby.