What to expect from the March 25 'It's show time' Apple News and streaming video event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    It's clear this is going to focus on video but just raising my hand for news subscriptions, please! I love reading news and analysis. It's prohibitive subscribing to all news sources and I just end up rotating between them from year to year. That just means I have to pick just one for a while and while that's nice enough it would be simply awesome to have a wider range of sources especially for political news where there are so many views or international news where you also need more breadth. I would even accept *some* limits on how much I can read from each source, say 50 or so views a month, rather than 3 or 5 or 10. (50 might be low so it would be nice to have more though even 50 would be reasonable for starters.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 60
    I don't want anyone throwing anything at my head, but are we going to get any kind of rumors on the Mac Pro anytime soon? I get this event is going to focus on media and etc., but I miss Mac rumor sites having more Mac news. (I get it; information & tidbits are few and far between.)
  • Reply 23 of 60
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    MacPro said:
    wood1208 said:
    May be too early but 2019 Macbook Pro upgrade announcement would be nice. Will have Intel 10nm processors, WiFi 6 and other enhancements and hopefully some versions without touch-strip. No tocuh-strip makes cheaper MBP, reduce hardware complexity and less cost to repair/replace/maintain,
    I don't see Apple surrendering the Touch Bar any time soon.
    I enjoy my Touch Bar, even just for volume control and muting. 
    I wonder how many folks that deride the Touch bar actually have a Mac with one?  It beats me how you wouldn't like it.  As I said earlier I go to Mac I have without one and miss it and hope Apple bring out keyboards for the Mac Pro with one (and iMac I guess, I don't use iMacs so forget about them).
    I don't get the hate for the Touch Bar. After I got used to it, I love it. I actually have been hoping Apple would release a keyboard with a Touch Bar to use on an iMac. 
    MacProStrangeDaysHenryDJPmike egglestonfastasleeprandominternetperson
  • Reply 24 of 60
    Apple's video streaming service is almost guaranteed to be a failure. The reason is simple. Apple's idea of what videos people should see is very different from the kinds of videos that users want to see. Apple wants its viewers to watch happy, uncontroversial (in its mind) videos with no adult content at all. We know this by reading about how Apple keeps firing directors and writers that refuse to go along with their white bread vanilla wafer creative vision. Take a look at Netflix's line up and ask yourself how many would appear on an Apple video service? Would that Fyre festival documentary make the cut? How about House of Cards? Apple is about to waste billions of dollars by failing to understand the diverse interests of its users. It is the same hubris that is preventing many apps getting into the App store because Apple is uncomfortable with giving users real freedom to decide what they do with their own iPhones and iPads.
    asdasdelectrosoft
  • Reply 25 of 60
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    wood1208 said:
    May be too early but 2019 Macbook Pro upgrade announcement would be nice. Will have Intel 10nm processors, WiFi 6 and other enhancements and hopefully some versions without touch-strip. No tocuh-strip makes cheaper MBP, reduce hardware complexity and less cost to repair/replace/maintain,
    It wasn't worth the incremental cost for those functions.   I find it largely useless.   I also find the large touchpad to be a pain... my palms rest against it and constantly send the cursor to the wrong position.  My daughter just bought a brand new MBP and has the same problem.    The should make the touchpad smaller again.  They won't, but they should.  (Doesn't anyone at Apple actually use their products?).
    muthuk_vanalingamurashid
  • Reply 26 of 60
    MacPro said:
    wood1208 said:
    I wonder how many folks that deride the Touch bar actually have a Mac with one?  It beats me how you wouldn't like it.  As I said earlier I go to Mac I have without one and miss it and hope Apple bring out keyboards for the Mac Pro with one (and iMac I guess, I don't use iMacs so forget about them).
    I deride the TouchBar and I own a Mac with one. 

Granted it can become innocuous after a while if you just choose to ignore it, but it’s really quite silly vis-a-vis any major functionality. I also find that quality of the ‘touch’ to be somewhat inconsistent and weird — some icons (e.g., emojis) need a harder press than others (e.g., Esc). 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    MacPro said:
    wood1208 said:
    I deride the TouchBar and I own a Mac with one. 

Granted it can become innocuous after a while if you just choose to ignore it, but it’s really quite silly vis-a-vis any major functionality. I also find that quality of the ‘touch’ to be somewhat inconsistent and weird — some icons (e.g., emojis) need a harder press than others (e.g., Esc). 
    Using its contextual and graphical interface with Applications such as Logic Pro is surely light years ahead of a few function keys.  It reminds me back when I started demonstrating Lisa to clients who claimed typing was faster than a GUI!  ;)
    edited March 2019 uniscapefastasleeplolliver
  • Reply 28 of 60
    MacPro said:
    wood1208 said:
    I don't get the hate for the Touch Bar. After I got used to it, I love it. I actually have been hoping Apple would release a keyboard with a Touch Bar to use on an iMac. 
    As I see it, Apple just needs a Pro Keyboard with it and it could work on any Mac without it or without a built-in keyboard.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    zoidbert said:
    I don't want anyone throwing anything at my head, but are we going to get any kind of rumors on the Mac Pro anytime soon? I get this event is going to focus on media and etc., but I miss Mac rumor sites having more Mac news. (I get it; information & tidbits are few and far between.)
    We'd like to hear more about it too. There's just nothing circulating, other than the modular thing from a few weeks ago.
    asdasd
  • Reply 30 of 60
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Some people gripe about about the PRESENCE of a touch bar on the keyboard and some people group about the LACK of a touch screen on their monitors.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 31 of 60
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    dewme said:
    If video is a big deal for Apple perhaps they'll follow Amazon's lead and do some sort of a Video HomePod? It would be rather handy to have an Echo Show type device that has a nice retina display, built-in Apple TV, serves as a HomeKit hub, and sounds as good as the HomePod. 
    Interesting point.  The iPod was called a "pod" to not box it in to any particular functionality, soon adding video to it's music capabilities. 
    I'm not sure that they named the iPod the iPod in anticipation of video playback, which it didn't have for 4 years after its release. Not really "soon" in tech terms IMO.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 32 of 60

MacPro said:
    Regarding the comment about an Apple TV dongle, surely the Apple TV can be THE dongle easily enough with a minor software or firmware update.
    Current ATV requires too much power, thus the necessary power cord.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    wood1208 said:
    Yes, many like you like it but until you need to replace it after 1 year regular warranty.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Apple's video streaming service is almost guaranteed to be a failure. The reason is simple. Apple's idea of what videos people should see is very different from the kinds of videos that users want to see. Apple wants its viewers to watch happy, uncontroversial (in its mind) videos with no adult content at all. We know this by reading about how Apple keeps firing directors and writers that refuse to go along with their white bread vanilla wafer creative vision. Take a look at Netflix's line up and ask yourself how many would appear on an Apple video service? Would that Fyre festival documentary make the cut? How about House of Cards? Apple is about to waste billions of dollars by failing to understand the diverse interests of its users. It is the same hubris that is preventing many apps getting into the App store because Apple is uncomfortable with giving users real freedom to decide what they do with their own iPhones and iPads.
    Actually, "we" (you) don't know any of that at all. You're responding to rumors and conjecture and treating them as facts.

And, oh, the "Apple is arrogant!" trope. Thanks for keeping it fresh. Sorry your app got rejected for whatever reason. Try using the approved APIs and following the guidelines which protect user privacy and maybe you won't have an issue. You're always free to side-load apps if you wish, or rake in the dough on other platforms... Nobody has a gun to your head, dude.
    edited March 2019 dewmefastasleeppscooter63lolliverkiltedgreen
  • Reply 35 of 60
    wood1208 said:
    wood1208 said:
    Yes, many like you like it but until you need to replace it after 1 year regular warranty.
    Do you have evidence that a significant number of people need to replace their TouchBar after one year? [...crickets...] Oh, you don't. Just pointless FUD, then. 
    edited March 2019 fastasleeprandominternetpersonpscooter63lolliver
  • Reply 36 of 60
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I expect this will be media. Period. News service. Streaming video. Maybe some update to Apple Music. Hopefully some improvements to iCloud services and storage. Cosmetic changes to the stores maybe. But I will be very surprised if there's any hardware announcements. Look closer to WWDC for those. Or worse yet nothing until the fall.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 37 of 60
    wood1208 said:
    Yeah definitely too early for that. If anything the Mac Pro desktop will take center stage this year. There might be a spec update on the MBP later this year but no redesign or anything special. I personally love the Touch Bar. I don't see any logic of your post stating it's cheaper not to have it. That doesn't make any sense. The function keys were replaced by the Touchbar. Removing those existing keys reduces cost. Replacing them with the Touchbar is not really adding to the cost. 
  • Reply 38 of 60
    zoidbert said:
    WWDC will be reserved for the Mac Pro. 
  • Reply 39 of 60
    MacPro said:
    wood1208 said:
    Agreed! I love the Touchbar on my 2018 MBP. Every time I jump on my iMac I start reaching for the Touchbar and I forget it's only on my MBP. The Touchbar offers so much functionality with multiple apps. I hardly used the old function keys for anything more than raising the volume. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 40 of 60

MacPro said:
    Regarding the comment about an Apple TV dongle, surely the Apple TV can be THE dongle easily enough with a minor software or firmware update.
    Current ATV requires too much power, thus the necessary power cord.
    I didn't mean like a FireStick I was meaning as a DRM protection, my bad I come from the era of dongles in the ADB port to prevent software copying.