Rumor says 10.2- & 10.5-inch iPads in the works, launching separately

Posted:
in iPad edited December 2019
Apple is not only working on 10.2- and 10.5-inch iPads, but planning to ship them at separate times, a reputable leaker claimed on Wednesday.

2018 iPad Pro

Known publicly as "CoinX," the leaker didn't offer any other details, such as features or narrower launch windows. He did refer to the 10.2-inch iPad as the "iPad 7" however, and said the 10.5-inch model isn't a Pro. 2018 iPad Pros come in 11- and 12.9-inch sizes.

CoinX's record includes predicting that one of the 2018 iPad Pros would be 5.9 millimeters thick, and most notably exposing the names of the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR.

Casting doubt on the latest rumor is that based on Apple's history, it's unlikely Apple would launch two iPads in such similar dimensions. Apple is rumored to be replacing its 9.7-inch "budget" iPad with a 10.2-inch model, yet it already has a 10.5-inch option in the form of 2017's iPad Pro, still on sale.

Conceivably Apple could position an updated 10.5-inch model in the mid-range, with superior performance to the "budget" line but without some Pro perks.

Apple has also been rumored as planning a fifth-generation iPad mini. That product is mostly expected to be an internal spec upgrade, in which case it would have to keep a 7.9-inch display.

New iPads could make an appearance at a March 25 press event. The focus, though, should be on a video streaming service and Apple News Magazines.
Annie2022

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Do not give us another pricing tier for new iPads. The mid tier is occupied by pervious gen 10.5 iPad Pro. Unless Apple plans to stop selling year old iPads than there’s no need to saturate their own product line. Idealistically, it would be nice to hit a price point of ~$550 for mid tier.

LOW - iPad 6: $329
    MID - 2017 10.5 iPad Pro: $649
    HIGH - 2018 11 iPad Pro: $799
  • Reply 2 of 33
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    I have a hard time believing Apple will follow through with all these sizes.  If they do resurrect the mini (as expected) then 4 sizes at most.

7.9 mini
    9.7 -> 10.2 budget?
    10.5 pro
    12.9 pro

I’d rather see the 9.7 become the mini size without the bezels.  If the 10.2 becomes the same size as the old 9.7 with reduced bezels that would be a nice budget machine.

The 9.7 could actually be more expensive than the 10.2.

The 7.9 mini seems a waste with the larger iPhones...
    Annie2022
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Apple is not only working on 10.2- and 10.5-inch iPads, but planning to ship them at separate times, a reputable leaker claimed on Wednesday.

2018 iPad Pro

Known publicly as "CoinX," the leaker didn't offer any other details, such as features or narrower launch windows. He did refer to the 10.2-inch model as the "iPad 7" however, and said the 10.5-inch model isn't a Pro. 2018 iPad Pros come in 11- and 12.9-inch sizes.

CoinX's record includes predicting that one of the 2018 iPad Pros would be 5.9 millimeters thick, and most notably exposing the names of the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR.

Casting doubt on the latest rumor is that based on Apple's history, it's unlikely Apple would launch two iPads in such similar dimensions. Apple is rumored to be replacing its 9.7-inch "budget" iPad with a 10.2-inch model, yet it already has a 10.5-inch option in the form of 2017's iPad Pro, still on sale.

Conceivably Apple could position an updated 10.5-inch model in the mid-range, with superior performance to the "budget" line but without some Pro perks.

Apple has also been rumored as planning a fifth-generation iPad mini. That product is mostly expected to be an internal spec upgrade, in which case it would have to keep a 7.9-inch display.

New iPads could make an appearance at a March 25 press event. The focus, though, should be on a video streaming service and Apple News Magazines.
    How do we know "CoinX" is a "reputable leaker"?  This sounds like nonsense.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Would be delighted if they came out with an iPad Pro 17” model.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

You already quoted the relevant line of the article. Of course CoinX could be wrong this time.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 33
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 810member
    Keeping up with the various iPad models and sizes could be a full time job. Started with Air 1, then Air 2, then 10.5” iPad Pro and currently the new 12.9” iPad Pro. Cannot see them refreshing the iPad Pro 10.5” without keeping Pro features. If I remember correctly Apple came out with a new iPad after the Air 2 model, that was 9.7” and used for the first time a pencil. Cannot remember if they used the Pro name or not? That was followed by the current 10.5” iPad Pro. New line up should be; Mini and 9.7” with pencil entry level; 10.5” with pencil mid level;  iPad Pro 11” and 12.9”. 
  • Reply 7 of 33
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Apple is rumored to be replacing its 9.7-inch "budget" iPad with a 10.2-inch model
    So is it a 10.2” or a refreshed 9.7” as reported a couple of days ago?
    Do not give us another pricing tier for new iPads.
    Yes please do. $499 like we’ve always paid. A 9.7” with no bezels. Thanks. 
  • Reply 8 of 33
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    Apple needs a non-Pro model with FaceID (and thus smaller bezels).  Equivalent of the iPhone Xr.  I wish this were the replacement for the current level iPad.  Heck, while I'm at it, don't even increase the current 9.7" screen size - just decrease the overall dimensions.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 9 of 33
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    hentaiboy said:
    Apple is rumored to be replacing its 9.7-inch "budget" iPad with a 10.2-inch model
    I think 9.7” with no bezels would be a huge hit.  The problem is it would need FaceID that would increase the cost.  Unless you’re thinking an in-screen TouchID...

I think with today’s durability you might be able to get away without a case.  The 9.7” would be amazingly small and light.  It would also feel modern without the bezel.  It might be a Pro device with Pencil support....
  • Reply 10 of 33
    hentaiboy said:
    aren't we paying $329 now?

so if it's 10.2...I think it's to retire the Ipad pro 10.5 and the 9.7 AND lightning AND Pencil 1.
    (and likely either a A12Fusion or A12/A11 chip to get a neural engine)
    My guess is FaceID is 'cheaper' to deploy than touchID . (less home button breakage).

to 'NonPro-ify' it... they keep it at 32GB and lower RAM.  Keep 2 speaker (maybe 3 speaker for landscape?).

Price: Less than $499 (either $429 or $399)

as for a 10.5" That looks like a false flag...  I can't see a 'cheaper' (less than $399) big iPad that isn't the biggest (like the iPhone XR).
    Too many options in the 10.2 11 and 12.9 range now (especially if they keep selling the 10.5 and 9.7 for a few months to get rid of inventory).

- Geoff

designr
  • Reply 11 of 33
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

My immediate reaction is that Apple would not release a 10.2" and a 10.5" model in the same year. Maybe they have a 10.2" model they can get out this year, and then plans to get a 10.5" out next year. Or possibly they're considering both, and will only release the 10.2" model if they can't get the 10.5" model done this year. There just isn't enough of a difference to justify having two units so close in screen size.

Unless one of them is OLED and the other LCD, but even then it seems odd to have such a minor difference in size. Also, I would expect an OLED iPad to be absurdly expensive.

This is, of course, assuming the reports are in any way accurate. Until we hear from other sources, it's hard to really say. I'd want verification from at least another source for something like this, but I don't run a news site so my opinion is...well just that - my opinion.

• Reply 12 of 33
    anome said:

My immediate reaction is that Apple would not release a 10.2" and a 10.5" model in the same year. Maybe they have a 10.2" model they can get out this year, and then plans to get a 10.5" out next year. Or possibly they're considering both, and will only release the 10.2" model if they can't get the 10.5" model done this year. There just isn't enough of a difference to justify having two units so close in screen size.

Unless one of them is OLED and the other LCD, but even then it seems odd to have such a minor difference in size. Also, I would expect an OLED iPad to be absurdly expensive.

This is, of course, assuming the reports are in any way accurate. Until we hear from other sources, it's hard to really say. I'd want verification from at least another source for something like this, but I don't run a news site so my opinion is...well just that - my opinion.

This. Like you said, most likely it will be one or the other because the size difference is so negligible. It would be nice to see something in the 10" range and, this might be a long shot, but a 15"+ model for major differentiation. That would be a nice tablet to keep at home.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I wouldn't take an iPad as a gift
  • Reply 14 of 33
    If one compares the bezels of the current 9.7 inch model and the 10.5 inch model, one sees the bezels on the 10.5 inch are smaller. Keeping the same physical dimensions as the 9.7 inch and reducing the bezels to that of the 10.5 inch iPad would result in the rumored 10.2 inch iPad. Now keep that same physical dimension and implement either Face ID or under-screen Touch ID and one has the 10.5 inch device.

this would make a perfect line up: 

Low end, Touch ID, lightning connector, Pencil 1, 2-3GB RAM, A12, introduced in Spring 2019
    Mini $299 32GB, $399 128GB (7.9 inch, same physical dimensions)
    iPad $329 32GB, $429 128GB (10.2 inch, same 9.7 physical dimensions)

Mid range 10.5 inch (9.7 inch physical dimensions) Face ID, USB-C, Pencil 2, A13, 4GB RAM introduced Oct–Nov 2019
    iPad R $599 64GB; 256GB $699

High end A13X, 6–8 GB RAM, introduced Oct–Nov 2019
    iPad Pro 11 inch 128GB $799; 512GB $899; 1TB $1049
    iPad Pro 12.9 inch 128GB $999, 512GB $1099; 1TB $1249
  • Reply 15 of 33
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    If one compares the bezels of the current 9.7 inch model and the 10.5 inch model, one sees the bezels on the 10.5 inch are smaller. Keeping the same physical dimensions as the 9.7 inch and reducing the bezels to that of the 10.5 inch iPad would result in the rumored 10.2 inch iPad. Now keep that same physical dimension and implement either Face ID or under-screen Touch ID and one has the 10.5 inch device.

this would make a perfect line up: 

Low end, Touch ID, lightning connector, Pencil 1, 2-3GB RAM, A12, introduced in Spring 2019
    Mini $299 32GB, $399 128GB (7.9 inch, same physical dimensions)
    iPad $329 32GB, $429 128GB (10.2 inch, same 9.7 physical dimensions)

Mid range 10.5 inch (9.7 inch physical dimensions) Face ID, USB-C, Pencil 2, A13, 4GB RAM introduced Oct–Nov 2019
    iPad R $599 64GB; 256GB $699

High end A13X, 6–8 GB RAM, introduced Oct–Nov 2019
    iPad Pro 11 inch 128GB $799; 512GB $899; 1TB $1049
    iPad Pro 12.9 inch 128GB $999, 512GB $1099; 1TB $1249
    "iPad R $599 64GB; 256GB $699"

I would buy this model
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Seems odd that this is the first we’ve heard about iPad 7 being a new screen size.

If iPad 7 is 10.2”, then the 10.5” they’ve heard about is probably a modest update to the existing 10.5” Pro. Possibly even a silent update like has happened with iPad models (like iPad 2) many many times. 
  • Reply 17 of 33
    designr said:
    The current 9.7" iPad frame size would accommodate a 10.5" with the new reduced bezel size. Or maybe more likely go 10.2" and reduce overall size a tad too. This becomes the new iPad (exclude some pro features, etc. ... price it around $399 to $449), then perhaps an updated iPad mini and they have the line updated and cleaned up a bit.

I'd be curious how well the iPad mini is doing in light of the larger phones these days.
     Close. The existing chassis will fit a 10.2” display without forcing a physical size change. 

The 10.5” Pro is larger than the 9.7” model. If they are going with a 10.2” display, it’s because they don’t want to change the physical size for cost and manufacturing reasons. 
  • Reply 18 of 33
    anome said:

I think it is a simple misunderstanding about what “new” means. The iPad 7 will be 10.2”, because that display size will fit without changing the physical size from iPad 6. 

The 10.5” model is likely an unremarkable update to the existing 10.5” Pro. And at most, a spec bump. 
  • Reply 19 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    arlor said:

You already quoted the relevant line of the article. Of course CoinX could be wrong this time.
    Strangely, he quoted the entire article just to write a one-sentence reply. 
  • Reply 20 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

hentaiboy said:
    I think with today’s durability you might be able to get away without a case.  The 9.7” would be amazingly small and light.  It would also feel modern without the bezel.  It might be a Pro device with Pencil support....
    Get away with? I’ve never used a case on any of my iPads in my life. Nor on my Watch.