iPhone takes arrow intended for owner in Australian attack

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    The most important aspect of this story is missing. Did the iPhone still function? Perhaps, as the authorities where summoned.
    viclauyyc
  • Reply 22 of 43
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    marklark said:
    BxBorn said:
    Clearly Australia needs better Bow and Arrow control laws...
    Actually, this shows the futility of gun control laws.  Australia has them in abundance -- and still people find ways to (try to) kill each other.
    The utter lack of logic in your statement is astounding. Are you actually trying to compare a gun to a bow and arrow? Or argue that the purpose of gun control laws is to eliminate all murders? Or maybe imply that they should be effective against every weapon imaginable?
    Soliradarthekatchialolliver
  • Reply 23 of 43
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    The guy is out on bail? Seriously? The mind boggles.
    Yeah, that baffled us as well.
    The perpetrator was known to the victim. Clearly the judge decided that this was a domestic incident and of no threat to the public at large.

Side note: apparently Nimbin is the drug capital of Australia.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Apple should attempt to retrieve the picture or video form the iPhone and add it to the “Shot on iPhone” campaign. Will give it a whole new meaning. 
    mobirdjbdragonviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 43
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    hentaiboy said:
    Yeah, that baffled us as well.
    The perpetrator was known to the victim. Clearly the judge decided that this was a domestic incident and of no threat to the public at large.

Side note: apparently Nimbin is the drug capital of Australia.

Overstating it a bit. The drugs in Nimbin are largely home grown. It's more the hippy capital of Australia. For your drug cartels and organised crime, you need to move along the coast a bit to Griffith, or even Kempsey.

In the context of the North Coast of New South Wales, though, trying to shoot someone with a bow and arrow makes a lot of sense. I know someone whose father was a doctor in Kempsey for 40 odd years, and he had some fascinating stories.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 43
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    BxBorn said:
    I guess it’s funny to joke about thousands of senseless deaths? 39,773 gun deaths in USA in 2017. That’s 4.54 people, every hour of every day of the year. I’m embarrassed for you. 
    Australia had the Port Arthur massacre in 1996 in which 35 people were killed (23 wounded) by a retard armed with a high powered semi-auto rifle.  In the wash up, federal politicians across the political spectrum legislated to tightly restrict the availability of rifles / guns.  Since that day in 1996 there has not been a single massacre in Australia (23 years).
    jbdragondoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 43
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Reminds me of the iPhone 5c that saved a mans life from a bullet to his chest.

"Apple makes cheap crap that breaks easy!"
    -What iKnockoff users repeat while collectively calling iPhone users "iSheeps."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 43
    I'm making a vest out of iPhones.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 43
    I'm making a vest out of iPhones.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    If I had 3 guesses where this happened. Nimbin would be the first.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 43
    BxBorn said:
    Crossbows are illegal but longbows aren't.
    https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_services/firearms/permits/firearms_permits/frequently_asked_questions_-_firearm_permits#wp3
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 43
    The man did not require medical treatment, but he was transported to the nearest Apple store as a precaution.
    SolimattinozMplsP
  • Reply 33 of 43
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    martinxyz said:
    The man did not require medical treatment, but he was transported to the nearest Apple store as a precaution.

The problem was it took three days to get a Genius Bar appointment, during which time he developed sepsis.

On the other hand, they offered to replace the screen and battery for free.

• Reply 34 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    martinxyz said:
    … and not knowing what to do, the Apple Store Genius could only recommend installing Robinhood in case of future attacks.

edited March 2019
  • Reply 35 of 43
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    kimberly said:
    BxBorn said:
    I guess it’s funny to joke about thousands of senseless deaths? 39,773 gun deaths in USA in 2017. That’s 4.54 people, every hour of every day of the year. I’m embarrassed for you. 
    Australia had the Port Arthur massacre in 1996 in which 35 people were killed (23 wounded) by a retard armed with a high powered semi-auto rifle.  In the wash up, federal politicians across the political spectrum legislated to tightly restrict the availability of rifles / guns.  Since that day in 1996 there has not been a single massacre in Australia (23 years).

Really?  LOL.  You do know you can Google this stuff up!!!  Take away the gun, people find other ways.  Let me just list a few of MANY!!!!  I'll list some of the larger death numbers.

Childers Palace Backpackers Hostel fire
    23 June 2000, 15 DEAD
    Arson attack by Robert Paul Long, which killed 15 international backpackers.

Churchill Fire
    7 February 2009, 10 Dead
    Arson attack by Brendan Sokaluk that killed ten people, during the Black Saturday bushfires period.

Quakers Hill nursing home fire
    18 November 2011, 11 Dead
    Arson attack by Roger Kingsley Dean, a nurse, which killed 11 people.

Cairns child killings
    19 December 2014, 8 DEAD
    Stabbing attack and Familicide. Eight children aged 18 months to 15 years killed. Thirty-seven-year-old woman also found injured. The woman, Raina Mersane Ina Thaiday, was later charged with the murder of the children, seven of whom were hers, plus her niece.

January 2017 Melbourne car attack
    20 January 2017, 6 DEAD
    Vehicular attack. Dimitrious Gargasoulas allegedly drove a Holden Commodore into Bourke St Mall, resulting in the deaths of six people and injuring 30+ others. Should not be confused with the December 2017 Melbourne car attack which only killed one person.

Osmington shooting
    11 May 2018, 7 DEAD
    A murder-suicide, with three adults and four children killed. A grandfather shot his four grandchildren at their home, his daughter, his wife, and then himself.

September 2018 Bedford massacre
    9 September 2018, 5 DEAD
    Five people were fatally stabbed or bashed in a house in the suburb of Bedford near Perth. The victims were two women, one girl aged 3, and two girls aged 18 months. Should not be confused with the 1879 Cape Bedford Massacre against aboriginal people.

I can go on and on.  Yet you said there hasn't been a single massacre in Australia (23 Years) you're own words.  One of those I listed was even with a GUN.  How can that be.  I picked ones after 1996.  So you're blind or a fool.  Which is it?   Or are you one of those that like to re-define what a Massicure is?  That way it looks better to people than it really is.

Let's point to another fact.  Australia only has a Population of 25 million.  The U.S. a little over 325 million people.  That alone makes a huge difference.  But how about other things.  I just looked up RAPES.  27.3 for 100,000 in the U.S.  28.6 per 100,000 in Australia.  Ummm.  More Rapes in a country with no guns.

netmagerandominternetperson
  • Reply 36 of 43
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    It seems to me that the man with the bow and arrow was intending to kill the victim, given that it was apparently aimed at his head. There's a backstory here (the man was known to the victim), but just because the police didn't immediately add "attempted murder" to the charges doesn't mean they won't later. They're still investigating the case.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    Johan42 said:
    It’s not the law that’s the problem, it’s the shitty judges.
    Were you in the courtroom?  I believe in the US the vast majority of people awaiting trial are released on bail, including people charged with violent crimes.  Given that we don't hear daily outrages about people out on bail killing people the system works just fine.
    I know of plenty that commit crimes while on bail. System is broken.
    Solinetmage
  • Reply 38 of 43
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    marklark said:
    BxBorn said:
    Actually, this shows the futility of gun control laws.  Australia has them in abundance -- and still people find ways to (try to) kill each other.
    If weapon control laws are stupid why doesn't the US hand every citizen a nuclear missile and rely on the threat of mutually assured destruction to generate a socially stable society?

Soli
  • Reply 39 of 43
    dsd said:
    I shot an arrow into the air
    and where it landed
    I know will not be covered
    by AppleCare.

That was funny! And it brought back memories of my English class!
  • Reply 40 of 43
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I am surprised that the attacker was allowed bail. And yes, I'm always surprised when it happens here as well.  I can understand it in cases where the evidence is circumstantial but based on what's been reported, this was more than that. I hope the victim keeps his head down.
    netmage