Apple suppliers reportedly primed for mass production of next-generation iPad and AirPods

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2019
Reports out of Apple's Asian supply chain claim at least two parts makers are "gearing up" for mass production of next-generation iPad and AirPods models, devices expected to see release in the coming weeks.

AirPods

Citing sources familiar with the matter, DigiTimes reports Taiwan-based printed circuit board manufacturers are ramping up toward mass production for both a new "budget" iPad model and a successor to Apple's wildly popular AirPods earbuds.

Flexium Interconnect and Zhen Ding Technology will handle PCBs for an expected iPad update anticipated to anchor Apple's tablet lineup in 2019.

Current industry scuttlebutt suggests Apple's next-generation entry-level iPad will build on technology introduced to the line in 2017, with a larger 10.2-inch display and a faster processor headlining a short list of upgrades. A report last week said the upcoming device is expected to retain the chassis design and major component catalog of Apple's existing 9.7-inch iPad, including Touch ID and headphone jack.

Taiwanese firms Compeq Manufacturing and Unitech PCB are also moving toward mass production of rigid-flex boards for use in a second-generation AirPods model, Friday's report said.

Apple's hotly anticipated follow-up to AirPods is rumored to support native Siri integration, new health tracking features and sound quality improvements. A new textured surface and black color option are also said to be on tap for 2019.

When Apple intends to release the new iPad and AirPods models is unknown. Recent rumblings suggest a budget iPad might see release late this month alongside a minor update to the iPad mini series, while conflicting reports peg an "AirPods 2" debut for the spring or later this fall.

Apple will have a chance to reveal new hardware at a special media event on March 25, though the gathering is widely expected to focus on for-pay video and news subscription services.

AppleInsider will be covering the March event live. Keep up by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS and follow us follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider on Twitter and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    There must be warehouses full of existing frames and mere regular components. Restore the production lines and put the motherboards with the faster chip in it. Done.
    edited March 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I tuned out when I saw DigiTimes. They could be right, but I'll wait for a more reliable source to be revealed.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I don't know that I'm ready to upgrade my AirPods, but I hope there won't be the wait I had for Gen 1.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    Black AirPods please, yesterday!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    Hopeful they just replace the current AirPods, but I'm cynically expecting Apple to announce them as AirPod Pros and charge $229 or something while keeping the current AirPod, slightly modified, at the $159 price point. I wouldn't mind them dropping a Pro version, I'd probably even buy them, but please make the base version a significant upgrade as well.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Latko said:
    There must be warehouses full of existing frames and mere regular components. Restore the production lines and put the motherboards with the faster chip in it. Done.
    Have you thought about emailing your resume to Tim Cook?
    urashidfastasleep