Ikea delays HomeKit-compatible Smart Shades until later in 2019

Posted:
in iPhone
Ikea on Thursday said that it's delaying both the U.S. and European launches of its Apple HomeKit-ready Smart Shades, anticipated for bringing that type of smarthome accessory within a realistic price point.

Ikea Smart Shades

The wait is needed to update firmware, given "an opportunity for improved functionality," Ikea explained to The Verge. The benefit though is that the product will ship with HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant support, along with control via Ikea's Tradfri app. People will need to own a Tradfri hub for any smart functions.

The shades were originally set to launch in the U.S. on Apr. 1, and listings briefly appeared on European websites as far back as January. Two versions are in the works: the translucent Kadrilj and the opaque Fyrtur, though only the Fyrtur is so far expected to come stateside.

Very few HomeKit-compatible shades are on the market, typically because of factors like custom sizing and elaborate electronics, which can also push prices out of the average person's budget. Ikea's product gets around this with a limited selection of sizes, and a rechargeable battery that has to be periodically removed. People will be able to buy extra battery packs to minimize downtime.

The Kadrilj model should start at 99 euros, about $113, and the Fyrtur at 119 euros ($136). Real-world U.S. prices may vary.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    I can't see why shades can't be variable width. Cloth is flexible, especially when loose. Hmm, that's giving me at least two ideas. Maybe I should switch jobs and become an inventor.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    I can't see why shades can't be variable width. Cloth is flexible, especially when loose. Hmm, that's giving me at least two ideas. Maybe I should switch jobs and become an inventor.
    Well, you’re either the first one to realize that cloth is flexible, or there’s a problem that you don’t see… Either way the market is waiting for a (cheap) solution. :) 
    cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I just read that around mid-April Ikea will announce a joint product with Sonos to introduce a new speaker. But the way they talk about "light and sound" it seems that it may not be just a speaker but also a light source. https://newsroom.inter.ikea.com/news/all/ikea-to-focus-on-light-and-sound-in-milan-together-with-sonos/ikea-to-focus-on-light-and-sound-in-milan-together-with-sonos/s/83b41adc-1299-446f-8ab6-82166f9f89f2

That would be innovative. Now if they really wanted to be innovative they would also make it a motion sensor, light sensor, temperature sensor and sound sensor. And a smoke detector. All HomeKit compatible. 

As for Svanstrom's suggestion, I agree I must be wrong so I'll give up on my ideas immediately.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    As for Svanstrom's suggestion, I agree I must be wrong so I'll give up on my ideas immediately.
    Good. Anyway, everything that needs to be invented has already been invented. 
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MacMDMacMD Posts: 10member
    HomeKit products are notorious for being delayed / missing their intended release date. Add these shades to the ever expanding list....
  • Reply 6 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    MacMD said:
    HomeKit products are notorious for being delayed / missing their intended release date. Add these shades to the ever expanding list....
    It’s almost like building quality hardware & software solutions is hard.
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 7 of 7
    It looks like prediction above, March 14, turned out to be true. At least regarding a light source, but there's no indication it includes a motion sensor (which would be really useful since it has a light source.) The price of $99 is quite reasonable for light and sound, so for that price I wouldn't expect it to have anything else, like a motion sensor. Visually I can't see where it would place any motion sensor. https://www.sonos.com/en-us/symfonisk-by-sonos-and-ikea?utm_source=AppleInsider&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cj-1773887&source=cj&cjevent=e1c397ad5a4111e981ea00240a240611