Another F for Alphabet: after abandoning Android tablets last year, Google retreats from C...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/03/13/android-q-beefs-up-privacy-with-new-limits-on-location-access-device-ids-and-more/
    They're working at it. An instance where "copying Apple" is a great thing. 

Note that even Business Insider who posted the story (anonymous sources of course) says that in the near-term expect nothing to change with hi-end Chrome OS product plans hardware wise. But since the Pixel Slate is Google's most expensive hardware product (and a widely panned one too) they would likely be their slowest selling and most likely to be chopped. The Pixelbook on the other hand is still praised.

There's a wide field between "Apple:We're Number 1!!" and those at the very bottom of the heap. Everyone "not Apple" doesn't grade as an F, nor should the author confuse discontinuing the Pixel Slate or any other expensive Google manufactured Chrome hardware as discontinuing and no longer improving and supporting their Chrome OS used daily by millions of people. 

Posted from my 2017 Pixelbook. My 2013 Chromebook Pixel is still good (at work) tho the battery life is now down to a couple hours between charges. 

EDIT: On a somewhat related note (technically not OT as DED brought up smartphones too) my OG Pixel that shipped with Android 7, then getting 8 (Oreo) and then 9 (Pie) is in the process of being updated for Android 10 (Q*) in a bit of a surprise.  I may wait one more year to buy another smartphone. TBH they haven't changed all that much in the last two or three, not enough to spend $600+ on another, and like some Apple users as long as the device is still being supported....
    When you view yourself as really important and the center of reality, it might seem relevant that your Pixel phone is getting three years of updates. But the fact that nobody else bought it actually means that Google blew huge amounts of money on a hardware failure with nothing to show but receipts. That has more consequences than your anecdote. And the failure within Google hardware that keeps on expanding is clearly a big deal, despite all your handwaving attempts at minimizing huge losses and wasted money.  
    According to Google the Pixel line is profitable. And it's apparently four years of updates so far, not three... ;)

Personally I don't consider myself as all that important. Honest, but not terribly important in the bigger scheme of stuff, no more than anyone else. Some folks here seem to "think differently", believe the world is revolving around their opinion, that they're a "name" to be reckoned with and deserve accolades for it. I'm glad neither of us put ourselves in that group. 
    As I have suggested ad infinitum you should go off to an Android/Google blog where I would suspect most Mac users wouldn't be seen dead so won't bother you. 
    I'm sure you have the best of intentions, just looking out for me, but no one bothers me here...

Anytime I post something that's wrong just chime in with a Correction. 
    It doesn't bother me, nor should it bother you if you happen to be the one mistaken. 
    edited March 2019 muthuk_vanalingamavon b7
  • Reply 42 of 53
    gatorguy said:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/03/13/android-q-beefs-up-privacy-with-new-limits-on-location-access-device-ids-and-more/

Note that even Business Insider who posted the story (anonymous sources of course) says that in the near-term expect nothing to change with hi-end Chrome OS product plans hardware wise. But since the Pixel Slate is Google's most expensive hardware product (and a widely panned one too) they would likely be their slowest selling and most likely to be chopped. The Pixelbook on the other hand is still praised.

There's a wide field between "Apple:We're Number 1!!" and those at the very bottom of the heap. Everyone "not Apple" doesn't grade as an F, nor should the author confuse discontinuing the Pixel Slate or any other expensive Google manufactured Chrome hardware as discontinuing and no longer improving and supporting their Chrome OS used daily by millions of people. 

Posted from my 2017 Pixelbook. My 2013 Chromebook Pixel is still good (at work) tho the battery life is now down to a couple hours between charges. 

EDIT: On a somewhat related note (technically not OT as DED brought up smartphones too) my OG Pixel that shipped with Android 7, then getting 8 (Oreo) and then 9 (Pie) is in the process of being updated for Android 10 (Q*) in a bit of a surprise.  I may wait one more year to buy another smartphone. TBH they haven't changed all that much in the last two or three, not enough to spend $600+ on another, and like some Apple users as long as the device is still being supported....
    Ever the Google apologist. Google gets an F because they failed to be successful on really any level in their self branded endeavors. They aren’t profitable...
    Google says the Pixel line is profitable. Absolutely not Apple-like profitable, and what is, but deserving an "F" because they aren't as successful at it as Apple? Nah.

As for why I have a Pixelbook it's the best match for me personally for a home computer. There's not been a task yet that I can't do on mine, the battery life is great, performance and boot times are top-notch, the keyboard is amazingly nice to use,  security and resistance to malware iis better even than your Mac, updates are often and regular, no lack of applications. What's not to like?

Don't wanna spend $750 or so for one there's other options from other vendors: Samsung, Motorola, Asus, Dell....
    You of course would never know how capable one is as you've not ever used one, right? Silly for you to reflexively poo-poo something that you don't really know anything about. Yeah it's not sold by Apple. So?
    Profitable, I'm sure you have both actual sales vs shipped numbers and expenses pertaining to the pixel line available, thought not. What you do have is the annual public disclosures that showing close to all Google's profits come from ad serving/search. The onus here is on you to show that it is profitable as you are stating this as fact.

Interesting you chose to simply not acknowledge the vast majority of my previous post vs trying to defend your position ... by yeah whatabout this.

I didn't ask why you have a Pixelbook, much the same way I would not bother to ask why a person would wear pajama bottoms in public ... some basic assumptions can instinctively be made as to why and they are sufficient to draw a conclusion that is going to be accurate outside of extraordinary circumstances. I would imagine "What is not too like" is two fold. First, you could have gotten a superior product for a near equivalent price that would hold it's value (Based of resale market value of Apple products, not even sure a resale market exist for Pixel). Second, you could have a platform that gives you privacy vs letting google leach off your data for free.

Last paragraph is confusing, are you trying to not so subtly advertise? Getting an even cheaper, or more expensive for that matter, device is not going to fix the fundamental flaws of the Andriod/Chrome as they are inherent to the platform itself not necessarily the hardware per se (though often that's shoddy as well in terms of MTBF). It is true I have almost no first hand experience using one, I also have never been impaled thought I can make a ridiculously safe assumption that should that occur it would be similarly painful. What I do have is numerous people who ask me for a recommendation for a tablet/netbook/computer to which I say "Go with Apple even though it cost more, it's worth it".

30% buy an Apple, love it and never ask me for assistance again in either recommending a purchase or for support issues.
    60% buy some cheaper android/chrome device and on average within a year or two they are asking me to fix the piece of junk and what I would recommend when more often than not the only solution is buy something else. At this point most bite the bullet and get an Apple, learning their lesson at a minimal cost, the rest will just buy junk again for reasons unknown and we will repeat next year.
    10% get duped by the salesman at the store or from some website like the Verge and buy an expensive Google/Microsoft device and are horribly disappointed. This is a costly lesson, and the most unfortunate part is some older people just decide that this means they are not able to use technology.

watto_cobraradarthekatbakedbananas
  • Reply 43 of 53
    gatorguy said:

Ever the Google apologist. Google gets an F because they failed to be successful on really any level in their self branded endeavors. They aren’t profitable...
    Google says the Pixel line is profitable. Absolutely not Apple-like profitable, and what is, but deserving an "F" because they aren't as successful at it as Apple? Nah.

As for why I have a Pixelbook it's the best match for me personally for a home computer. There's not been a task yet that I can't do on mine, the battery life is great, performance and boot times are top-notch, the keyboard is amazingly nice to use,  security and resistance to malware iis better even than your Mac, updates are often and regular, no lack of applications. What's not to like?

Don't wanna spend $750 or so for one there's other options from other vendors: Samsung, Motorola, Asus, Dell....
    You of course would never know how capable one is as you've not ever used one, right? Silly for you to reflexively poo-poo something that you don't really know anything about. Yeah it's not sold by Apple. So?
    Profitable, I'm sure you have both actual sales vs shipped numbers and expenses pertaining to the pixel line available, thought not. What you do have is the annual public disclosures that showing close to all Google's profits come from ad serving/search. The onus here is on you to show that it is profitable as you are stating this as fact.

Pretty sure I said "Google says". I'm not Google so don't be silly saying the onus is on me. LOL. 
    Heck if the "onus" is on anyone it would be those saying Google must be lying about it because you know differently. Do you?

In the meantime you might benefit from some reading in order to be a little more familiar with the platform. That you would recommend the device you're already familiar with is common-sense. What isn't IMHO is resisting any effort at learning more about the ones you don't, especially if it's lead to more than a few misunderstandings and incorrect claims. 
    https://www.cnet.com/news/how-google-chromebooks-became-the-go-to-laptop-for-security-experts/
    edited March 2019 avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Everyone saw this coming from a mile away. Google's poor substitute for a laptop was always an anemic idea. Chrome OS is so gimped it should just be laid to rest, never to be mentioned again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 53
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    cornchip said:
    It’s clear the market for tablets is evaporating. The Goog is just the first, and like dominoes clickety-clack Apple will have to retreat.

Forever doomed.
    Can’t tell if serious. Evaporating, like you mean tablets are going to disappear and all the happy ipad users are going to stop using them? Hmm yeah I don’t think that’s going to happen. I love using a tablet/ipad, and will replace it for the foreseeable future.

Not serious.

LoL. You guys. Oughtta know me by now..
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 53
    techrulestechrules Posts: 53unconfirmed, member
    This article is just amazing.    

Google purchased over 2,000 hardware people from HTC for $1.1 billion people.  They have now been onboarded and Google has moved some roles to this new unit.    So a net of a plus 2K headcount and a big investment in hardware for Google.

What appears to have happened is a reporter at Business Insider (BI) had a Google employee share they were being reassigned as their role moved.      The reporter then created an article that incorrectly came to the conclusion Google was cutting back on hardware where it is actually the exact opposite.   Tons and tons of more hardware is coming from Google.  They will be announcing their new gramming console next week (3/19 at GDC).   Plus Google has been hiring up chip engineer expertise and working on a custom SoC optimized for Zircon.   Alsonow selling the Edge TPUs, selling their LIDAR, and continue to add additional hardware products.

What is amazing is Business Insider does the article and then a bunch of articles are written based on the BI article.   These second tier articles, like this one, then get picked up on Reddit for example.    The fact is there is now a shortage in Intel processors because of Chromebook popularity.

"Chromebook popularity could prompt another round of Intel CPU shortages"

I personally purchased a Pixel Book to replace a Mac Book Pro I used for development.  Having GNU/Linux built into your development machine is just ideal.  MacOS is Unix and close to GNU/Linux but not the same.   Was at a recent Flutter meet up and there was two others with Pixel Books.   I have never seen a single Pixel Book in the wild before this.   I had seen the headline.

"Chromebooks outsold Macs for the first time in the US"

But had not experienced beyond K12.  The schools here in the US use Chromebooks extensively.

Google will continue to create a ton of hardware and we will see them producing more of their own custom chips.  They poached John Bruno from Apple and have been poaching a lot of chip engineers from Nvidia, Intel and others.   They have also been on a chip hiring spree in India.   Zircon is the new kernel coming from Google that replaces Linux and there is obvious design decisions with a chip to optimize.

Ultimately Google will do the entire stack like how Apple does the iPhone.

But man it is amazing one reporter can create so much misinformation.  Kudos to this person.  Would love to know if it was what was expected?  Or they are surprised?

edited March 2019 gatorguy
  • Reply 47 of 53
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

When you view yourself as really important and the center of reality, it might seem relevant that your Pixel phone is getting three years of updates. But the fact that nobody else bought it actually means that Google blew huge amounts of money on a hardware failure with nothing to show but receipts. That has more consequences than your anecdote. And the failure within Google hardware that keeps on expanding is clearly a big deal, despite all your handwaving attempts at minimizing huge losses and wasted money.  
    According to Google the Pixel line is profitable. And it's apparently four years of updates so far, not three... ;)

Personally I don't consider myself as all that important. Honest, but not terribly important in the bigger scheme of stuff, no more than anyone else. Some folks here seem to "think differently", believe the world is revolving around their opinion, that they're a "name" to be reckoned with and deserve accolades for it. I'm glad neither of us put ourselves in that group. 
    You apparently see your views/opinions as relatively highly important.  You joined in March 2011, compared to me in June 2012, but you have 20k comments compared to my 3k, and I’m a moderator with some portion of my comments directed to that role.  Your ratio of likes to comments is less than 1:1, more like 1:5.  That’s a shame; seems you spend a great deal of time spitting into the wind, but you must think your opinion is sufficiently important to continue spreading. 
    bakedbananas
  • Reply 48 of 53
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Google's (and to a lesser extent Microsoft's) misadventures in selling hardware don't make big waves with analysts and journalists for the simple reason that they don't matter much, either to those companies or the industry at large.  They aren't primarily hardware companies, the Pixel and Surface lines are little more than hobbies existing within a much broader ecosystem of Chrome, Android and Windows devices.  Apple showing weakness in pricing or units shifted on the other hand is a big deal because selling hardware is Apple's bread and butter.

Not sure why Daniel doesn't get this.  This is little more than whatabboutism.
    You're arguing there should be two different metrics of hardware success/failure, based on who is being discussed. AKA, grading on a curve. Doing so makes no sense, because the rest of the build-up coverage to these products isn't also on a curve...they hype them up as the next great iPhone/iPad-killer, and then when they fail it's "Oh it didn't matter to Google anyway!"

Yeah no. A failure is a failure, and it's worth noting them. 
    Sure it's worth noting them, but it's never going to be as big news as Apple's forecasts being downgraded, because quite simply no one cares.  Microsoft and Google investors don't care if Pixels and Surfaces aren't selling, because that's never been a contributor to the bottom line.  If they started selling in meaningful amounts then they'd probably start caring, but they haven't so they don't

Daniel's rants would have you believe that there's some kind of tech journalism cover-up of the failure of Apple's rivals, but there isn't, tech journalists just write the articles that people are interested in.
    You haven’t been paying attention.  The press lauds product after product as being either the next iPhone killer or equivalent to Apple’s offerings.  If they were being accurate then you’d expect those products to sell in higher numbers and not be eventually killed off. But the zeal applied in reporting those product’s introductions is then abscent when it comes to reporting the eventual failure, to gain a user base, to net any meaningful profits, to remain on the market.  That spells a deliberate bias against Apple in favor of pretty much anything anti-Apple.  Easy to see if the blinders are off.
    bakedbananas
  • Reply 49 of 53
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

You apparently see your views/opinions as relatively highly important.  You joined in March 2011, compared to me in June 2012, but you have 20k comments compared to my 3k, and I’m a moderator with some portion of my comments directed to that role.  Your ratio of likes to comments is less than 1:1, more like 1:5.  That’s a shame; seems you spend a great deal of time spitting into the wind, but you must think your opinion is sufficiently important to continue spreading. 
    When I'm wrong all you have to do is point out why. Someone whining because someone else comments more than they do kinda silly. 
  • Reply 50 of 53
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Google's (and to a lesser extent Microsoft's) misadventures in selling hardware don't make big waves with analysts and journalists for the simple reason that they don't matter much, either to those companies or the industry at large.  They aren't primarily hardware companies, the Pixel and Surface lines are little more than hobbies existing within a much broader ecosystem of Chrome, Android and Windows devices.  Apple showing weakness in pricing or units shifted on the other hand is a big deal because selling hardware is Apple's bread and butter.

Not sure why Daniel doesn't get this.  This is little more than whatabboutism.
    You're arguing there should be two different metrics of hardware success/failure, based on who is being discussed. AKA, grading on a curve. Doing so makes no sense, because the rest of the build-up coverage to these products isn't also on a curve...they hype them up as the next great iPhone/iPad-killer, and then when they fail it's "Oh it didn't matter to Google anyway!"

Yeah no. A failure is a failure, and it's worth noting them. 
    Sure it's worth noting them, but it's never going to be as big news as Apple's forecasts being downgraded, because quite simply no one cares.  Microsoft and Google investors don't care if Pixels and Surfaces aren't selling, because that's never been a contributor to the bottom line.  If they started selling in meaningful amounts then they'd probably start caring, but they haven't so they don't

Daniel's rants would have you believe that there's some kind of tech journalism cover-up of the failure of Apple's rivals, but there isn't, tech journalists just write the articles that people are interested in.
    You haven’t been paying attention.  The press lauds product after product as being either the next iPhone killer or equivalent to Apple’s offerings.  If they were being accurate then you’d expect those products to sell in higher numbers and not be eventually killed off. But the zeal applied in reporting those product’s introductions is then abscent when it comes to reporting the eventual failure, to gain a user base, to net any meaningful profits, to remain on the market.  That spells a deliberate bias against Apple in favor of pretty much anything anti-Apple.  Easy to see if the blinders are off.
    Everyone loves an underdog story, few love a story about the incumbent leader continuing to be the leader.  Nor do they love an underdog failing story.  It's not anti-Apple, it's just the way things work, nothing to do with "blinders".
  • Reply 51 of 53
    LordhanLordhan Posts: 16member
    Someone says "Google's (and to a lesser extent Microsoft's) misadventures in selling hardware don't make big waves with analysts and journalists for the simple reason that they don't matter much, either to those companies or the industry at large.  They aren't primarily hardware companies, the Pixel and Surface lines are little more than hobbies existing within a much broader ecosystem of Chrome, Android and Windows devices.  Apple showing weakness in pricing or units shifted on the other hand is a big deal because selling hardware is Apple's bread and butter.

Not sure why Daniel doesn't get this.  This is little more than whatabboutism." 

does the Google and Microsoft failure not mean the success of Apple? if the pixel phones and tablets, surface laptops are not selling well, then iPad, iPhone and Mac headwear will be OK in the near future.
    it is so obvious. you don't get it? 
  • Reply 52 of 53
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    sirozha said:
    "Chromebooks are a gateway into the Google ecosystem." Except not really. My son uses Chromebooks at school but have absolutely zero interest in them outside of school. And that goes for Google services too. Pretty much how every single of of his friends feel too. They laugh at Chromebooks.

"So, who cares if Google makes money on Chromebooks or not?" Seriously ? For starters stock holders do. Also what corp has ever not cared about making money on a product ?
    If you know anything about Google, you would know that Google’s history is riddled with projects and products that earn no money for the company. It’s not necessarily a bad thing either. Many of these products come out of the way Google conducts business. Every Googler is mandated to work 8 hours per week on his/her own project that he/she conceives. Some of these individual projects get endorsed by the upper management, get funded, and become a Google service or Google product released to the public. Most of these projects  never come out of beta and eventually fail, but Google considers this system to be a great way to tap into the ingenuity of their employees and encourage their employees to create their own products and projects. 

Say what you want about Android, but it did create a viable alternative to iOS while having made almost no money for Google. Say what you want about Google Maps and/or Waze, but they provide an incredible public service for billions of people around the world without charging users a penny. 

Say what you want about Chromebooks, but they allow public schools constantly starved of funding to provide access to amazing web-based curricula and save money to spend on other things that schools need. 

And as for Google search. If you are old enough, you would remember how long it took
    to get information about anything at all before Google search was invented. I have the entire knowledge base of the entire humankind at my fingertips at all times and can get information about anything I want within a few seconds. In the past it could take days, weeks, or months to get this information. Yahoo wasn’t nearly as capable a search engine as Google, which came much later. Giogle search has made me tremendously more productive in life.

I can’t think of anything that Apple invented that is as revolutionary as Google search. I appreciate how delightful Macs are and how wonderful iPads are, and how great Apple watches are, but they did not revolutionize my life like Google search and Google Maps, which cost me absolutely nothing. 
    Good luck searching the internet on a 2007 blackberry UI.  The iPhone defined the modern smartphone and the smartphone gives you 24x7 access to the internet anywhere with cell or Wi-Fi service.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    gatorguy said:

...it might seem relevant that your Pixel phone is getting three years of updates. But the fact that nobody else bought it actually means that Google blew huge amounts of money on a hardware failure with nothing to show but receipts. That has more consequences than your anecdote. And the failure within Google hardware that keeps on expanding is clearly a big deal, despite all your handwaving attempts at minimizing huge losses and wasted money.  
    https://www.counterpointresearch.com/apple-maintains-lead-premium-smartphone-segment-oneplus-enters-top-five-brands-first-time-2018/
    They would disagree that the Pixel line of phones is failing, rising to #3 in North American premium smartphones and number five in Western Europe. I'm not sure they even sell in any other markets so really not all that bad, especially considering the line itself is just three years old competing against brands who have been in the market over a decade. 

Before you become quick to dismiss it haven't you used Counterpoint as a trusted reference at times and if so why not trust them now?  
    edited April 2019