2019 iPhone again predicted to have square camera bump, triple-lens configuration

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2019
The rumored triple-camera configuration of the 2019 iPhones will have the lenses in close proximity to each other in a square camera bump, according to a report citing Chinese suppliers, with the claim corroborating mockups of the supposed mobile devices that surfaced in January.

New renders of a triple camera iPhone, via Macotakara
New renders of a triple camera iPhone, via Macotakara

An early render of the 2019 iPhone was offered by well-known leak source OnLeaks towards the start of the year, depicting a square camera bump housing three camera lenses and the flash. In that render, the lenses are not evenly organized into individual corners but are instead alternating sides with uneven spacing.

Chinese suppliers reportedly confirmed to Macotakara on Friday the iPhones would use the square camera bump. It is suggested the configuration could be similar to the one used by Huawei's Mate 20, which evenly spaces the three lenses and flash into separate quadrants, in a more symmetrical layout.

A render of the rumored triple camera setup of the 2019 iPhones from January
A render of the rumored triple camera setup of the 2019 iPhones from January

The source also advised original accessories for the next generation of iPhone are under development, with initial versions featuring a hole on the back side for the enlarged camera bump.

In terms of size, the 2019 models will apparently be similar to the current selection offered by the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR. It is also suggested Apple may offer dual-camera and triple-camera options, but it isn't entirely clear if the extra camera would be provided only for specific models or if it will be determined by storage capacity.

Aside from Huawei, Apple would also be joining a number of other companies moving towards using more than two cameras on the back of their devices. The recent launch of the Galaxy S10 range includes triple camera options, with a 5G version having a fourth for 3D depth mapping.

It is unclear what Apple's plans for the third camera sensor will be, though the first two are likely to be similar to the usual wide-angle and telephoto cameras typically used in dual-camera setups. It is plausible the third could be for depth mapping, using a "time of flight" (TOF) system to scan the surroundings, which would make it useful for Portrait photography as well as augmented reality applications.

Camera rumors about the 2019 iPhones are not limited to just the rear versions. One January report claimed the front-facing TrueDepth camera will be upgraded from a 7-megapixel model to a 10-megapixel sensor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    It's ugly.
    tomjunior39designrleftoverbacon
  • Reply 2 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    In the first renders early this year I thought it didn't look very nice.

This render though looks better. Not exactly sure why.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    avon b7 said:
    In the first renders early this year I thought it didn't look very nice.

This render though looks better. Not exactly sure why.
    LOL...
    Carnage
  • Reply 4 of 24
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Minimalism just left the Apple campus, what's next a Swiss army knife where the volume buttons are? 
    tomjunior39
  • Reply 5 of 24
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    The new iCamera, it also let's you SMS.
    cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Would you like an iPhone with all those lens?
    cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Not I 
  • Reply 8 of 24
    M68000M68000 Posts: 724member
    Although cameras are important - is there starting to be too much being done with cameras on phones? At the rate we are going it will get like men’s razors with 5 blades or more where the idea is “it has more so therefore it has to be better”.   I prefer a real dslr camera for real photography.   
    cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 24
    can we get a phone w/o a camera bump? The bump prevents the phone from sitting flat on a desk. Very annoying wobble when trying to type/tap w/ the phone on a flat surface. Then there's the uneven wear on the phones finish.
    cornchip
  • Reply 10 of 24
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    M68000 said:
    Although cameras are important - is there starting to be too much being done with cameras on phones? At the rate we are going it will get like men’s razors with 5 blades or more where the idea is “it has more so therefore it has to be better”.   I prefer a real dslr camera for real photography.   
    While I prefer a DSRL as well, except when it isn't handy, or I'm not inclined to haul it around, there isn't any question that smartphones are capable of "real photography",

For the record, there is already a five camera Nokia.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    M68000 said:
    You only have to pick up a competing phone to see that the extra cameras offer more versatility. Razors with 5 blades have 5 blades that do the same thing. Multiple cameras on mobile phones do different things and can be tied together in software.
    muthuk_vanalingamcornchip
  • Reply 12 of 24
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member

Not I 
    I decided last year at the time of the first rumor, that I will retire my 7 Plus this fall for this iPhone, should it arrive. With the number of iOS apps available for photography, it will certainly compete well with the best smartphones.

edited March 2019 radarthekat
  • Reply 13 of 24
    TarbuckleTarbuckle Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    Hard to believe. Not only does the camera design look revolting but there appears to be an enormous camera bump as well. If true then has Ives had a stroke or something?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Would love to see an i16 with iOS 
  • Reply 15 of 24
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I guess regular, telephoto, wide-angle, and such are certainly useful...

But, maybe they should just cover the entire back with various kinds of speciality cameras. It might look cool, kind of like a pattern of circles and the whole back could be glass again. :)

Also, it would preempt all the... I have 4 cameras... oh yeah, we have 5... now we have 6! stuff. They could just be like, 'we have 80. Beat that!'
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 16 of 24
    M68000 said:
    I own a weekly newspaper, and recently visited an accident scene at dusk, armed with a Nikon D5000 with external flash, and an iPhone X. The Nikon pics were unprintable, but my phone photos were relatively great. I may have been able to futz with camera settings enough to get decent pic, but I got photography that was real enough without it.

I wholeheartedly agree on razors. I loaded up on 65 Schick FX blades, which were discontinued for the sin of having only dual blades and being too comfortable to use.
    cgWerkscornchip
  • Reply 17 of 24
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    king editor the grate said:
    I wholeheartedly agree on razors. I loaded up on 65 Schick FX blades, which were discontinued for the sin of having only dual blades and being too comfortable to use.
    To be fair, it does make sense - at least at this point - to use the separate cameras, as a single lens just can't do all the situations. But, from a design perspective, it is already getting a bit ridiculous (though, I think the 'camera bump' was already there).

In terms of the spec sheet though, I'm sure they are just warming up, LOL.
    When you run out of those blades, give Harry's a try. I'm not sure they are better (or as good as those 2-blade models), but at least you don't have to spend $65 for a few lads and get a security guard to unlock the cabinet for you. They are relatively cheap and ship to your door (and the actual handle-etc are high quality and designed to last).
    edited March 2019 king editor the grate
  • Reply 18 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    M68000 said:
    I own a weekly newspaper, and recently visited an accident scene at dusk, armed with a Nikon D5000 with external flash, and an iPhone X. The Nikon pics were unprintable, but my phone photos were relatively great. I may have been able to futz with camera settings enough to get decent pic, but I got photography that was real enough without it.

You might try a camera made this decade, one that doesn't have a horrid ISO range and a tiny pixel count, to compare to the iPhone camera. Apple has a great camera, but it's not a DSLR.
    Carnage
  • Reply 19 of 24
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Makes sense and actually looks ok, best config of any multiple camera. I do wonder at what eye wateringly cost it will be this year. 
  • Reply 20 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    can we get a phone w/o a camera bump? The bump prevents the phone from sitting flat on a desk. Very annoying wobble when trying to type/tap w/ the phone on a flat surface. Then there's the uneven wear on the phones finish.
    This has never been a problem for me IRL. Such wobble is minimal, but more importantly I can’t even think of the last time I wanted to type on my phone without picking it up.