Apple sold 35 million AirPods in 2018, currently most popular 'hearable' brand

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2019
Apple sold around 35 million AirPods during 2018, Counterpoint Research estimated on Friday, adding that the company represents the most popular "hearable" brand in the U.S. at the moment.

AirPods

In an online survey of over 200 people, 19 percent preferred Apple, Counterpoint said. The firm defines a "hearable" as wireless earbuds, which are mostly limited to audio at the moment but in some cases already include health tracking or AI assistants, such as the Bragi Dash Pro. Rumors have suggested that second-generation AirPods could include health tracking.

Apple-owned Beats is separate in Counterpoint rankings, taking fifth place with 6 percent. Others in the top five include Sony (17 percent), Samsung (16 percent), and Bose (10 percent).

Among AirPods buyers, "comfort and fit" was the prime consideration, followed by ease of use. Sound quality was actually a minor one, chosen by just 41 percent.

For contrast Counterpoint highlighted Bose, where sound quality was the top motivator at 72 percent.

Apple hasn't said exactly how many AirPods it sells, and markets the product mostly in terms of ease-of-use. The buds can, for example, automatically pair with a nearby Apple device, and then sync with every device linked to the same Apple ID.

A second-gen model could be announced as soon as Apple's March 25 press event, but other rumors have pointed to a launch later this year.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Cue the doubters. Jump right in, fellas and gals.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
  • Reply 3 of 26
    I know Airpods are popular, but a survey of 200 people is nowhere near enough to get to the conclusions they’re making.
    frantisekAppleExposeddanhwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Who came up with the 35M number, I think what Apple sold is high since I see people wearing them everywhere. Unlike the old style Bluetooth earpieces for a cellphone which made you like the Borg on Star Trak the Airpod are hardly noticeable. Apple once again hit on what people really want, so much so the design is being knocked off all over the place. I hope the next version comes in black.

edited March 2019 racerhomie3AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    But ... but removing the mini-jack socket from the iPhone was going to doom Apple to failure ...
    patchythepirateracerhomie3AppleExposedStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 26
    EddyMacEddyMac Posts: 11member
    The numbers could jump quite a bit when AirPods 2 are released and people like me, who have been holding off for a second iteration, jump on board.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Is that 35M individual earpods, or pairs of earpods, Apple? 
  • Reply 8 of 26
    maestro64 said:
    Unlike the old style Bluetooth earpieces for a cellphone which made you like the Borg on Star Trak the Airpod are hardly noticeable. Apple once again hit on what people really want, so much so the design is being knocked off all over the place. 

I was out making my rounds one morning and saw a friend who is a bit of a Luddite/contrarian who lacks even a single Apple product. (What a bleak existence!) After a few minutes of chatting, he said, "Nice earphones, man. Those are cool." Damn tootin' they are!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    I think you mean Counterpoint Research ?  Since Apple doesn't report these numbers.
    AppleExposedStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Cool. They are great and I see them everywhere I go. 

But my launch day pair, that they did not offer AppleCare for, barely last half an hour now.

So even though they have great sound and functionality, for the last year more and more I have had to grab my EarPods when making phone calls to make it through conversations/business calls.

v 2.0, please. 
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    maestro64 said:
    Who came up with the 35M number, I think what Apple sold is high since I see people wearing them everywhere. Unlike the old style Bluetooth earpieces for a cellphone which made you like the Borg on Star Trak the Airpod are hardly noticeable. Apple once again hit on what people really want, so much so the design is being knocked off all over the place. I hope the next version comes in black.

When Apple was pretty much the only big tech company that reported actual unit sales the analysts had hard numbers to work with. It started with not reporting unit sales for the Watch and of course everybody here jumped on it as a sign the watch was a failure. Then came the iPhone reporting change and again it was spun as failure. Now that Apple has in effect normalized its financial reporting the analysts are left with the same guessing game they use to report “estimated” sales numbers for Samsung, Google, etc.  Supply chain spying, surveys, snooping around store shelves, word of mouth, and other chicken bone reading methods are what analysts are using to make their reports. So now when we hear reports of Apple success or failure it is simply all conjecture. Feel free to “interpret” the “data” any way you please.
    edited March 2019 sacto joewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    lkrupp said:
    Okay I'll bite. I thought they were a terrible design. Uncomfortable, insecure in the ears, with terrible sound. My opinion has not changed. Apparently other people don't agree so I guess YMMV. But for me they are a non starter.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    DAalseth said:
    lkrupp said:
    Okay I'll bite. I thought they were a terrible design. Uncomfortable, insecure in the ears, with terrible sound. My opinion has not changed. Apparently other people don't agree so I guess YMMV. But for me they are a non starter.
    Are you holding your ears correctly? ;)
    edited March 2019 DAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    gatorguy said:
    As  Brit I have to say I am not convinced the Daily Mail is such an ideal source to quote science from.  You might want to dig into your Google sources deeper for more reliable sources to impugn Apple products.
    edited March 2019 AppleExposedStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    As  Brit I have to say I am not convinced the Daily Mail is such an ideal source to quote science from.
    It wasn't the Daily Mail that was being quoted. They were just one of the outlets. Being in the Daily Mail isn't reason to accept or reject it as being worth at least being aware of.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 16 of 26
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    EddyMac said:
    The numbers could jump quite a bit when AirPods 2 are released and people like me, who have been holding off for a second iteration, jump on board.
    AirPods are already more than perfect for Audio . I say you should jump in. Or get some used AirPods if you want a deal 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Keep in mind, according to statista which is one of the more reliable data sources. AirPods are Apples 2nd most successful product in history. But you don't need numbers to know that. We see them everywhere. I was surprised to see more AirPods than first gen Apple Watches.

I can see the passive Apple hate from a  mile away. AIRPODS, don't play stupid and Apple didn't report these numbers. Why would Apple report single AirPod sales?

StrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Forgot to mention Bose got "sound quality" as a key driver?

Wow proof marketing will fool people.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Keep in mind, according to statista which is one of the more reliable data sources. AirPods are Apples 2nd most successful product in history. But you don't need numbers to know that. We see them everywhere. I was surprised to see more AirPods than first gen Apple Watches.

I can see the passive Apple hate from a  mile away. AIRPODS, don't play stupid and Apple didn't report these numbers. Why would Apple report single AirPod sales?

I wouldn’t trust Statista’s data. I was concerned that they were substantially under-reporting Apple’s installed base. Turns out I was right.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    sacto joe said:

I wouldn’t trust Statista’s data. I was concerned that they were substantially under-reporting Apple’s installed base. Turns out I was right.

So in a way, AirPods could be doing better?

Damn, if Statista isn't accurate, who the hell is?
    watto_cobra