Apple's SVP Phil Schiller hypes 2019 WWDC in rare podcast appearance

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2019
Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller made an appearance on a podcast on Friday, with the executive discussing the 30th World Wide Developer Conference for nearly an hour.

The Accidental Tech Podcast with presenters and developers Marco Arment, Casey Liss, and John Siracusa hosted Schiller, in a recording published on Friday night. Topics were mostly limited to WWDC, and Apple's focus at the event.

"We think about the audience for the keynote at WWDC as really three unique audiences. That opening audience is developers, it's customers, and of course it's the press," said Schiller. "We love that more than any other event we do."

He added that "it gives a chance to give people a chance to really, really run with the content," referring to Craig Federighi's presentations in recent years.

Schiller pointed to the "State of the Union" presentation right after the keynote as a venue for Apple to get more in-depth for developers, with the rest of the week delving even deeper into the technology.

Through the whole interview, Schiller was obviously enthused about the forthcoming WWDC.

"Here you've been, like, keeping things bottled up in secret for months, and months, and months," said Schiller. "And now, there it is, you can talk about it. Try to shut me up about it!"

In reference to Apple paying attention to customers, Schiller mentioned that they read forums, and hit Apple-centric websites "as much as possible" -- and are always listening.

Schiller appears during the first hour of the two-hour podcast, with a diversion into high-performance cars in the last 15 minutes of his appearance.

Developers can apply for tickets for WWDC 2019 through March 20 at 5 p.m. PDT through the WWDC website. Tickets are issued through a random selection process, and developers will be notified of their application status by March 21 at 5 p.m. PDT. Others can live-stream the conference on the WWDC app for iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV as well as through the Apple Developer website -- And AppleInsider will be providing coverage from not just the keynote live, but the remainder of the gathering as well.

Up to 350 WWDC scholarships are available in 2019, providing students and members of all STEM organizations an opportunity to earn a free ticket and lodging for WWDC. Details on how to apply are now available on the WWDC website.

Apple will undoubtedly show developers what will become "iOS 13" and "macOS 10.15." The awaited redesigned Mac Pro may make an appearance as well, similar to how the iMac Pro debuted.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    More I think, Apple get constrained by intel's processor schedule to offer updated MAC products so often. Hope 2019 is the last update of Intel Sunny Cove ICE processor based Macbook/Pro
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 2 of 31
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    In reference to Apple paying attention to customers, Schiller mentioned that they read forums, and hit Apple-centric websites "as much as possible" -- and are always listening.

So,  That puts to rest any speculation over whether Apple reads AppleInsider and the comments.

Perhaps Apple should be paying AI for doing such invaluable market research!  These are smart, knowledgeable people writing these articles and mostly smart, knowledgeable people commenting on them.  While it represents only a subsection of Apple's client base, it is an important one.

p.s.  .... Now if they would just take my advice....    LOL...
    edited March 2019 cgWerksdoozydozencornchipkudubadmonk
  • Reply 3 of 31
    ike17055ike17055 Posts: 121member
    PHIL!!!

I WANNA NEW IPOD CLASSIC!

DID YOU GET THAT?

PHIL!!!

ARE YOU THERE??

:) 
    doozydozenariecornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

So,  That puts to rest any speculation over whether Apple reads AppleInsider and the comments.

Perhaps Apple should be paying AI for doing such invaluable market research!  These are smart, knowledgeable people writing these articles and mostly smart, knowledgeable people commenting on them.  While it represents only a subsection of Apple's client base, it is an important one.

Well, if Schiller and boys are reading MacRumors and 9to5Mac, those sites are no longer Apple-centric. Both site’s forums are packed full of Android/Samsung fanboys hating on Apple at every opportunity. What could Schiller glean from that kind of input? And more than that, those two sites are becoming fan sites for the competition, telling users where to go to get the best deal on the latest Samsung gear.
    edited March 2019 racerhomie3crossladcornchipwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Honestly, if Apple is lurking here, how about an Apple-improved version of the Sony HAPS-1, high capacity, component-style digital audio hub as a new hardware device.  A lot of us have invested many bucks over the years in an AAC, and/ or Apple Lossless library, with few good ways to integrate it into a decent audio system, we have also invested in.  Such a device could also stream Apple Music (or other services, as the Sony does), so it is not just “old school” solution for those of us dinosaurs who still purchase our music.  Sony’s concept is good, but needs Apple’s perfectionist approach to really shine.

cornchipwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 31
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member

Actually, they read every other site except AI! :tongue: 

It's good to see that Apple does lurk on the various sites. Even if the people posting on such sites tend to be a biased sample there are a lot of good ideas that get floated in the various comments. I know this is how they've always done it, but it would be really nice if Apple wasn't so opaque about their development, though. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    ike17055 said:
    Honestly, if Apple is lurking here, how about an Apple-improved version of the Sony HAPS-1, high capacity, component-style digital audio hub as a new hardware device.  A lot of us have invested many bucks over the years in an AAC, and/ or Apple Lossless library, with few good ways to integrate it into a decent audio system, we have also invested in.  Such a device could also stream Apple Music (or other services, as the Sony does), so it is not just “old school” solution for those of us dinosaurs who still purchase our music.  Sony’s concept is good, but needs Apple’s perfectionist approach to really shine.
    Way too niche of a product category let alone product, will never happen. 
    JWSCwilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ike17055 said:

Well since the cat is out of the bag about Apple management visiting Apple tech blogs I suppose we’ll see a big increase in crazy ideas for products that have no reason to exist. Oh lordy, lordy.
    GeorgeBMacJWSCcornchipwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 31
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    GeorgeBMac said:
    It would make sense that they would have a few people scanning such places to get a feel for at least what part of their customer base is thinking. It would be idiocy not to! I've never bought into that common comment saying Apple doesn't pay any attention.

And, aside from enjoying the conversation and sometimes banter, that's partly why I participate. What other way to we have to, at least as a mass group, get some kind of feedback back to Apple (OK, well they have that specific feedback mechanism, but that feels more feature-specific than general)?

lkrupp said:
    Well, if Schiller and boys are reading MacRumors and 9to5Mac, those sites are no longer Apple-centric. Both site’s forums are packed full of Android/Samsung fanboys hating on Apple at every opportunity.
    Or, they are displeased Apple customers that Apple-fan-boys think must certainly be Android trolls... because, how could anyone possibly disagree with anything Apple does?

When I go to those places, there are obviously a few Android people, but the majority seem to be Apple customers as far as I can tell.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

We've always known that Apple employees come by. How much they listen to what's being said, is up in the air.
    GeorgeBMacdesignrkuduwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Very fluffy.  Would've been good if they'd given Schiller a bit more of a grilling instead of falling over themselves to apologise for being hard on Apple in other episodes, especially since in the rest of the show they go into the issues around the Spotify complaint in ways that it would've been quite interesting to have Schiller's perspective.  Perhaps the Schiller part was recorded earlier, but there's still plenty of stuff both in and out of the daily news cycle that they could've talked about before "what's your favourite car".

• Reply 12 of 31
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    “In reference to Apple paying attention to customers, Schiller mentioned that they read forums, and hit Apple-centric websites "as much as possible" -- and are always listening”.

So Apple are well aware of our price-gouging concerns then 👍
    cornchipwilliamlondoncgWerks
  • Reply 13 of 31
    lkrupp said:
    ike17055 said:

Well since the cat is out of the bag about Apple management visiting Apple tech blogs I suppose we’ll see a big increase in crazy ideas for products that have no reason to exist. Oh lordy, lordy.
    Really? Honestly? OK, the idea may be "niche" as one reply stated, but it is far from "crazy."   For years, Apple sold (and still sells) music tracks in digital format. Why would it be "crazy" to ask for us to be able to play them on something other than an iPhone (which is pretty sh*tty sound anyway)?  Apparently, Sony is "crazy" as well.  I guess Apple doesn't improve other people's half-based products anymore, just makes its older and well-established  products (like iTunes) obsolete and expects us to pay again to stream music (we probably already own) to a second rate HomePod...who is really crazy here?

cgWerks
  • Reply 14 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    hentaiboy said:
    “In reference to Apple paying attention to customers, Schiller mentioned that they read forums, and hit Apple-centric websites "as much as possible" -- and are always listening”.

So Apple are well aware of our price-gouging concerns then 👍
    Please, man. Just don’t.
    GeorgeBMaccornchipwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 31
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    Here is my request Apple ... get back into the WiFi business with mesh airport hardware.  I will buy that kit and be comfortable knowing that it won't get sold to Google.
    GeorgeBMaccornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 31
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

If you read AI enough you will from time to time see moves made by Apple that seem to be directly connected to threads on AI.  On example is fixing iBooks to store user documents after that feature was suspended for a bit.  The only thing they seem to be unresponsive about is the high prices.  Maybe that will be fixed with new product roll out this year.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 31
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

We've always known that Apple employees come by. How much they listen to what's being said, is up in the air.
    Over the years I’ve seen several moves that seem to be directly related to threads here.   The one that stands out in my mind is the iBooks issue where user documents would not be saved to the cloud.  I know I voiced objections loudly at the time.  

Apples books program at the time was ideal was ideal for storing technical documents on iPad or even iPhone, and was ideal for PDF use in the field.  IOS is really good with PDF document display.   

The unfortunate thing Is that iOS sucks when it comes to file management.   Most apps generally make a mess of this problem.  I actually ended up frustrated with the file management problems and the associated bugs in Books and iCloud. 
    cgWerks
  • Reply 18 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ike17055 said:
    lkrupp said:
    ike17055 said:

Really? Honestly? OK, the idea may be "niche" as one reply stated, but it is far from "crazy."   For years, Apple sold (and still sells) music tracks in digital format. Why would it be "crazy" to ask for us to be able to play them on something other than an iPhone (which is pretty sh*tty sound anyway)?  Apparently, Sony is "crazy" as well.  I guess Apple doesn't improve other people's half-based products anymore, just makes its older and well-established  products (like iTunes) obsolete and expects us to pay again to stream music (we probably already own) to a second rate HomePod...who is really crazy here?
    You can play music bought from iTunes on any number of other devices, via Airplay or directly, as long as the device supports AAC.

This idea of yours is so niche it makes the HomePod look like the iPhone.  If the Sony product is so good, use that.  Apple don't need to be in every market.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 19 of 31
    crowley said:
    ike17055 said:
    lkrupp said:
    ike17055 said:

You can play music bought from iTunes on any number of other devices, via Airplay or directly, as long as the device supports AAC.

This idea of yours is so niche it makes the HomePod look like the iPhone.  If the Sony product is so good, use that.  Apple don't need to be in every market.
    The Sony product is not that good, thus the idea. The concept is good, but it needs work - the kind of loving attention Apple used to deploy on mediocre products from other companies.   Yes, today, it is “niche” at the new, post-Steve Apple. Such a shame.  And AirPlay is also a seriously handicapped system.  Other devices are now adapting it in the me-too world Apple now thrives in, but used tomeschew.  Now, it is just late to the game with more same-ole, same ole...honestly,  Why would someone want to add a computer to their audio system...or even rely of a wireless stream to a good sound system? Sometimes ya just want to listen to good music on a good system.  

Ya know, this forum has become quite pathetic that someone cant even list an idea here that, while perhaps marginal in terms of Apple maintaining its high margins, would be considered fairly mainstream in any world other than the “whatever Apple does must be perfection, beyond question” cult-like venue these forums have become. Seriously, Why would anyone buy a HomePod when you can actually buy a basic but high quality Onkyo stereo receiver and a pair of good speakers and have a real sound system that actually can cost less?  Well, for some folks maybe it is convenient, so good for them. But after selling us downloads for years, Apple should at least consider those customers who bouhgt in (and literally saved Apple from itself) might be worth keeping and even “delighting” as Steve used to advocate. 

• Reply 20 of 31
    ike17055 said:
    Way too niche of a product category let alone product, will never happen. 
    At today’s Apple, yes it is.  I remember when iPod was also “niche”...yet it saved Apple’s @ss from going under. And that outcome was not Apple genius, it was pure luck. 
    williamlondon