Review: Galaxy Buds easily beat Apple's AirPods but are years late to the game

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    crowley said:
    Abalos65 said:
    crowley said:
    The tech press has always treated the plug-your-ear-canal style tips on ear buds like this as if it's an advantage. You always see phrases like "better seal" being used as if it means something important to sound quality to have your ear canal plugged, despite the fact that standard over-ear headphones don't plug your ear canal and work perfectly fine for sound reproduction. In reality, plugging or "sealing" your ear canal doesn't really have an advantage when it comes to sound and it's less comfortable for longer periods of use.
    Not so good for your ears either.
    Is that really the case? I thought that because of the seal and extra isolation the volume can be much lower for these kinds of buds, reducing the chance of damage to the ear due to excessive sound.
    Maybe that's the case if you put the volume way down, but I doubt most people (especially kids) do, and having the speaker channeled that much more into your ear at high volumes is going to lead to hearing problems.  
    But people/kids turning up the volume is more likely when it has to overpower all the outside noise I think. This is where I got the idea from my original post from (starts at 3:19): 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 62 of 81
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    So the lesser battery capacity of the case is a plus because you can recharge it more often in a novel way? Hhhuh. That’s...interesting.
    Exactly. 

To all the comments about Samsung copying Apple, why would this change? This is what they've repeatedly done in the past. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? To me that just help show what Apple got right with the AirPods. 

In all fairness, there are hundreds of earbuds on the market, many designed to look exactly like AirPods. Samsung is not the only company that has copied looks or features and there have been features that Apple has copied from other products as well.
  • Reply 63 of 81
    Abalos65 said: This is in no way related to my original point. I reacted to a comment about the looks of the Galaxy buds, that's it. Your point is that because a company is lowering its pricing as a reaction to lower prices of a competing product it is somehow copying or following the competing company? I see that as regular market forces and a good thing personally.
    Your reaction was to disagree with someone claiming Samsung followed Apple's lead with the industrial design of Galaxy Buds. I think you're right about that. However, it's obvious that the price drop for Samsung is specifically done so that reviewers can say "cheaper than AirPods". Samsung originally viewed their wireless buds as a premium product and apparently expected Apple's price to be even higher. So they are following Apple's lead on the the quality/price angle. 
  • Reply 64 of 81
    Samsung up to its usual thievery again...

• Reply 65 of 81
    normang said:
    Sound is subjective, if AI can show that everyone in their office felt the same way about the audio quality they "might" have a point. Also knowing that a new generation of AirPods is around the corner, have anything to do with this largely useless review of a product that most Apple users are not going to buy or shouldn't buy based on the Samsung copied it for the most part rip off principle..
    Why would we need to do that? This is Andrew's article, it doesn't have any other bylines on it.
    That is a really weak response, if I’ve ever heard one. 
  • Reply 66 of 81
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    normang said:
    Sound is subjective, if AI can show that everyone in their office felt the same way about the audio quality they "might" have a point. Also knowing that a new generation of AirPods is around the corner, have anything to do with this largely useless review of a product that most Apple users are not going to buy or shouldn't buy based on the Samsung copied it for the most part rip off principle..
    Why would we need to do that? This is Andrew's article, it doesn't have any other bylines on it.
    Really?  A review is the opinion of the reviewer, I don't see how there's anything weak about that.  If you want a second opinion, find another review.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 67 of 81
    Hisurfer1Hisurfer1 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    There seems to be a disconnect between the title of the article and the content. I just watched the video and did not read the article but the overall impression I got was that the air pods easily beat the galaxy buds. Go figure.
  • Reply 68 of 81
    kiowavt said:
    Confused. "One feature we hope Apple to steal is the ambient audio mode that allows external audio to be passed through to your ears. This is great for talking to people with your earbuds in or walking down the street, still able to hear traffic.” Samsung version plugs the ear for noise isolation and needs this. AirPods are not so isolating and, while that might be nice, need it far less IMHO.
    The FDA has (or at least is close to) opening up the hearing aid market for sound amplifiers.  This feature might be a start in that direction.

Hopefully the new AirPods might include something similar -- where it can not only pass through ambient sounds but amplify ambient/external sounds
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/11/11/how-to-use-airpods-with-live-listen-in-ios-12-to-help-your-hearing  Already an option to amplify..  
  • Reply 69 of 81
    crowley said:
    normang said:
    Really?  A review is the opinion of the reviewer, I don't see how there's anything weak about that.  If you want a second opinion, find another review.
    The headline had nothing to with the review. I read the review as saying that it was ‘ok’, but the headline says otherwise. Who do you think wrote the headline — the reviewer or AI’s editors?

Morever, the guy reviews this whatever-it’s-called using an Android device, because apparently it has less functionality with the iPhone! Do you use an Android device? Do you think many readers of AI do? It seemed like an utterly irrelevant, useless piece, not worthy AI (look at the number of likes that the first post of this thread got.)

Oh, it’s my wont —as it is any reader’s — to tell AI what I think of an article. If you don’t like it, tough; take a hike.
    ricks1919
  • Reply 70 of 81
    crowley said:
    normang said:
    The headline had nothing to with the review. I read the review as saying that it was ‘ok’, but the headline says otherwise. Who do you think wrote the headline — the reviewer or AI’s editors?

Morever, the guy reviews this whatever-it’s-called using an Android device, because apparently it has less functionality with the iPhone! Do you use an Android device? Do you think many readers of AI do? It seemed like an utterly irrelevant, useless piece, not worthy AI (look at the number of likes that the first post of this thread got.)

Oh, it’s my wont —as it is any reader’s — to tell AI what I think of an article. If you don’t like it, tough; take a hike.
    We're talking about sound quality, not the headline?
  • Reply 71 of 81
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    normang said:

Just show the frequency diagram.
  • Reply 72 of 81
    DuhSesame said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    normang said:

Just show the frequency diagram.
    What would that prove?  Who even has that?
  • Reply 73 of 81
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Aloysius said:
    gatorguy said:
    Wow, talk about a blatant rip-off of the AirPods! Absolutely disgusting!

Companies like Scamsung and Huawei will never learn, this is their DNA; lie, cheat, steal, defraud until you get caught, then pay the fees, and rinse and repeat!
    These look NOTHING like the AirPods. use a completely different form-factor, and have features and functions Apple's product does not, just as Apple's product has a unique iconic look and Apple-specific features. How are they a "blatant ripoff"? In your haste to comment are you confusing images of the AirPods in the AI article as images of Samsung's product?
    The case design is dramatically similar, as well as the the OS interaction when the case opens. They even did the same "card" that pops up at the bottom of the screen with a white background.

Galaxy Buds pairing process

Tell me that doesn't look nearly identical to AirPods + iPhone. 
    Apart from tentpoles
  • Reply 74 of 81
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Prior to my AirPods, I tried multiple wireless headphones (for the freedom) but it wasn’t until I got my AirPods that I was totally sold. The secret in the AirPods is the W1 chip. The Bluetooth connection and handoff between Apple devices is amazing. Signal connection is comparable to a wired connection without the limiting factor of wires. 

The review appears to favor the Samsungs because of audio quality but it doesn’t matter if the Bluetooth connection isn’t solid even at ranges greater than wired length but there is no mention of how well wireless works. People tell me that when I am talking on the AirPods it sounds like I am talking directly into the phone and yet the review glosses over the mic capability (and don’t forget that mic capability is an important factor in Siri and other voice command interfaces.) And the gyrations necessary to pair the Samsung’s? Sure a lot of it may be based upon the Android OS, but it is a part of the whole experience. 

The Samsungs improve audio quality by improving the seal of the headphones that isolate the listener from the outside world but part of the reason that AirPods have become so ubiquitous is that people leave them in to have music and talk in their ear as they go about their day, they are not looking to block out the world for better audio fidelity. 

If the reason to be excited by the Samsung earbuds is because of better audio quality while blocking out the external world, I am more likely to move to wired headphones that are not limited by wireless data compression or some need for size reduction for portability. But for a pair of headphones that I can stick in my ear with little fuss and not lose interaction with the surrounding world, one that easily bounces between my phone, tablet and laptop, and that can take commands to interact hands free, the AirPods still can’t be beat. 
  • Reply 75 of 81
    kimberly said:

gatorguy said:

Companies like Scamsung and Huawei will never learn, this is their DNA; lie, cheat, steal, defraud until you get caught, then pay the fees, and rinse and repeat!
    These look NOTHING like the AirPods. use a completely different form-factor, and have features and functions Apple's product does not, just as Apple's product has a unique iconic look and Apple-specific features. How are they a "blatant ripoff"? In your haste to comment are you confusing images of the AirPods in the AI article as images of Samsung's product?
    Ignore them.  There are trolls on both sides.  These are Apple trolls.  
    Agree with you!!! Usually GG ignores them. It looked strange to me that he took the bait in this article.
  • Reply 76 of 81
    The tech press has always treated the plug-your-ear-canal style tips on ear buds like this as if it's an advantage. You always see phrases like "better seal" being used as if it means something important to sound quality to have your ear canal plugged, despite the fact that standard over-ear headphones don't plug your ear canal and work perfectly fine for sound reproduction. In reality, plugging or "sealing" your ear canal doesn't really have an advantage when it comes to sound and it's less comfortable for longer periods of use.
    A "better seal" can make inferior sound reproduction sound more acceptable.  When sound reproduction is good, it can also allow one to reduce the volume and still hear what one is playing without interference from outside sources.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    crowley said:
    Abalos65 said:
    crowley said:
    Not so good for your ears either.
    Is that really the case? I thought that because of the seal and extra isolation the volume can be much lower for these kinds of buds, reducing the chance of damage to the ear due to excessive sound.
    Maybe that's the case if you put the volume way down, but I doubt most people (especially kids) do, and having the speaker channeled that much more into your ear at high volumes is going to lead to hearing problems.  
    I think a good seal is important to sound quality and volume when using canal style buds...

In regard to Airpod style earbuds hearing damage can occur just the same.. Less seal means you keep upping the volume when your surroundings get nosier? After a while you are listening at a dangerous level and don't even realize it.

I prefer the canal buds because I need a Medium/large tip for my right ear and small for my left.  I found that I get the best fit and seal after years of trial an error. For me after listening to a song or two loudly I need to turn it down as my ears start to fatigue and the loudness becomes uncomfortable. I am no prude to loudness with my music.. just after many years of concerts and hours in a band's practice space ( my father is a musician ) I am a bit more careful to how loud and how long I listen to my music with any headphone or earbud.

• Reply 78 of 81
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    gatorguy said:
    Aloysius said:
    gatorguy said:

The case design is dramatically similar, as well as the the OS interaction when the case opens. They even did the same "card" that pops up at the bottom of the screen with a white background.

Galaxy Buds pairing process

Tell me that doesn't look nearly identical to AirPods + iPhone. 
    The case design is "dramatically similar"? What cases are YOU looking at. One is upright and  relatively tall and narrow. The other lays flat, is oval,  and is smaller overall. Yeah, they both have software screens that are white. Gosh nearly twins!
    I agree with general opinion here, the new Samsung buds looks like Apple Airpods. Notice I don't use 'exactly' because the details are somewhat different, but the resemblance is uncanny enough for me to call this a copy.
    ronn
  • Reply 79 of 81
    tjv82ctjv82c Posts: 9member
    I love the way the AirPods (and EarPods) fit in my ears. I REALLY hope Apple don't change the shape much for the 2nd Gen. My biggest concern with the AirPods (and all wireless headphones with non-replaceable batteries - I also own a pair of Bose QC35) is the battery lifespan. These are essentially consumable items now. Very expensive ones at that.
  • Reply 80 of 81
    The articles at AppleInsider have considerably become worse in grammar and reporting in the last 18 months. This site used to be about the articles, with decent writing and reporting, without the hyperbole. Now the slide is evident, the articles contain a massive apple bias that blinds the writer from giving us a fair article. For example, the title, ; "Galaxy Buds easily beat Apple's AirPods but are years late to the game" ; - "are years later to the game" -- Why even add this? Does this have any bearing on the product review? Airpods have been redesigned and the Galaxy Buds still beats them. Now you have this dangler, that doesn't quite fit with the article - Nothing in this article identifies the "Easily" portion. The writer complains about the many screens that pop-up, despite the seamless syncing when opening the pod. The only "Easily" bit that corresponds with your article is the fact you insert it where it is not necessary "It.s design can also more easily open one-handed. Galaxy Buds have a matte finish which can be slippery to open and is near impossible to do one-handedly" This could have been written as "[The Airpods] gloss finish allows for a stickiness factor that if one should need to do so, can pop- open the top with one hand, whereas the matte finish, in this testers hands, was slick and required some concentration to pop-open with one hand. - Why are you always over-arguing, and adding little digs into your sentences? Format [review product, give accolade, bash product because apple did it first]. Let's dial down the rhetoric, and return to the journalistic articles that set this site apart from the rest. *edit, formatting is not being retained* -- how do i code carriage returns?
    edited March 2019