Apple's 419,093 participants in its cardiac health study with Stanford had over 2000 seeki...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    RhythmagicRhythmagic Posts: 63unconfirmed, member
    I was in the heart study. I’m vegan. Alive & ready for the next season to kick in. This i’m i’m upgrading my apple watch & transforming my physique. The best results come from a plant based diet. It’s humans nature to eat plant based. Learning to love begins with compassion on out plate to the way we treat others. Always be real. Always love. & always be loveable in return. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Our*
  • Reply 23 of 27
    By the way i am my own doctor & i cure anything they throw at me. 
  • Reply 24 of 27
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I believe the real benefit of the Apple Watch for health care won't be realized for years until those studies are designed, funded, initiated, completed and the results published in peer-reviewed medical journals.   At that point, physicians will be as likely to write a prescription for an exercise physiologist as for a pill.
    My girlfriend is an RN who works a doctor at a major health care provider. Her job is to triage medical claims and then forward them to a doctor for review. 

The company/doctor has repeatedly turned down claims for 'prescribed' gym/exercise equipment. Sometimes it's some kind of written directive to exercise, to join a gym, to get some gym equipment and exercise, etc., sometimes it's just a verbal directive. In either event, people try to get their medical coverage to pay for it.

I don't know if it happens now, but one day it may be common for an insurer to willingly cover the cost of hardware (beyond an Apple Watch) or memberships and services for preventive care. Personal discipline of patients could make this a hit or miss proposition though.

It's an imperfect system, but I'm still all for crowd-sourcing data. I can't imagine that this Apple/Stanford study was a waste of time.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macgui said:
    I believe the real benefit of the Apple Watch for health care won't be realized for years until those studies are designed, funded, initiated, completed and the results published in peer-reviewed medical journals.   At that point, physicians will be as likely to write a prescription for an exercise physiologist as for a pill.
    My girlfriend is an RN who works a doctor at a major health care provider. Her job is to triage medical claims and then forward them to a doctor for review. 

The company/doctor has repeatedly turned down claims for 'prescribed' gym/exercise equipment. Sometimes it's some kind of written directive to exercise, to join a gym, to get some gym equipment and exercise, etc., sometimes it's just a verbal directive. In either event, people try to get their medical coverage to pay for it.

I don't know if it happens now, but one day it may be common for an insurer to willingly cover the cost of hardware (beyond an Apple Watch) or memberships and services for preventive care. Personal discipline of patients could make this a hit or miss proposition though.

It's an imperfect system, but I'm still all for crowd-sourcing data. I can't imagine that this Apple/Stanford study was a waste of time.
    I think it will take more than that...   There are two successful programs that could be used as a model:  One is cardiac rehab and the other is Dean Ornish's heart program.    Both are highly successful programs in restoring health to sick people.  Both incorporate:
    -- Education:   What and why
    -- Training:   How
    -- On going support, motivation, problem resolution:  Overcoming the myriad obstacles.

Nike is highly optimistic with it's "Just Do It" slogan.   Most Americans don't really know what "It" is, nor do the know how to do it.  And, even after all of that, life tends to get in the way and obstacles arise...

But, both the cardiac rehab and Dean Ornish programs have proven that it is a cost effective approach -- cheaper than a lifetime of pills and procedures...
  • Reply 26 of 27
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    Cool, happy for you. Of course, most illnesses are survivable by virtually everybody without medical intervention, whether or not one is a vegan. "Cure"  for illnesses or diseases is a word to be used cautiously. 

In any event I celebrate your pending immortality.  :p
  • Reply 27 of 27
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    13485 said:
    Cool, happy for you. Of course, most illnesses are survivable by virtually everybody without medical intervention, whether or not one is a vegan. "Cure"  for illnesses or diseases is a word to be used cautiously. 

In any event I celebrate your pending immortality.  :p
    However, a type of vegan diet -- a Whole Food Plant Based Diet is the only one proven to be able to reverse/cure heart disease, certain cancers and Type 2 Diabetes -- not every time, but often enough to be significant.