Apple removes 10.5-inch iPad Pro from online store following iPad Air launch

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2020
Apple has quietly retired the 10.5-inch version of the iPad Pro as part of its iPad shakeup, following the launch of the 10.5-inch iPad Air, a move that now leaves the 11-inch and 12.9-inch variants as the only two sizes of iPad Pro models available to purchase.

Monday's announcement of a new 10.5-inch iPad Air, as well as the refreshed iPad mini, has overshadowed the quiet removal of the 10.5-inch iPad Pro from availability in Apple's online store. None of the store pages include a listing for the model at all, indicating it is no longer available to purchase from Apple directly.

The removal is likely due to the similarity to the new iPad Air, with both models having the same resolution, laminated display, and screen features including True Tone. The iPad Air also uses the A12 processor, an upgrade compared to the iPad Pro's A10X Fusion, though it doesn't have features like the four-speaker audio system or the 12-megapixel rear camera.

Introduced in 2017, the 10.5-inch iPad Pro was the last major release in the iPad Pro range before Apple implemented a number of changes to the lineup, including replacing Touch ID for Face ID and overhauling the physical design.

While Apple doesn't sell the 10.5-inch iPad Pro anymore, other retailers still have stock of the now-retired model available to purchase. The AppleInsider Price Guide includes listings for retailers offering discounts of up to $250 from the model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    The iPad Pro 10.5 is my personal computer. Lovely device. Will likely be even more capable with iOS 13, but good to see Apple retire it. Writing was on the wall. 
    forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 810member
    Had that model, which was a tremendous upgrade from the 9.7” Air 2, till I upgraded to the new 12.9”. Like the new tablet line up; new Mini, 9.7” and new 10.5”.  Then the Pro models. Why bother though with 64 gb as the entry level on any model? I know, marketing and profit margins.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 810member
    tht said:
    The iPad Pro 10.5 is my personal computer. Lovely device. Will likely be even more capable with iOS 13, but good to see Apple retire it. Writing was on the wall. 
    Good point. The new iPad line up could make more sense as we learn more about iOS 13 features. 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    tht said:
    Mine too. It goes everywhere with me. I have an iMac at home, but most of my writing is done on the iPad, just finish work on the iMac. The latter is becoming less and less necessary as the iPad tools get better. Of course all my drawing and art, and film editing is only done on the iPad. Love the machine and the first gen Apple Pencil I got with it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    tht said:
    Good point. The new iPad line up could make more sense as we learn more about iOS 13 features. 
    Hopefully it will have:

0. Fixes for the textbox selection bugs
    1. Multi-view, document per view apps. Ie, I should be able to have Split Views of Safari+Numbers, Safari+Notes, etc. 
    2. 3 row software keyboard with meta keys (the 12.9 software keyboard should have arrow keys)
    3. More Files.app and File sheet functionality
    4. More app backgrounding capability

I’m likely going to move up to the 12.9 model by the end of the year though. The tablet form factor has so much more functionality and form factors that Apple could explore. Wish they would be more daring, instead of the very vanilla lineup they have now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    tht said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    tht said:
    Hopefully it will have:

0. Fixes for the textbox selection bugs
    1. Multi-view, document per view apps. Ie, I should be able to have Split Views of Safari+Numbers, Safari+Notes, etc. 
    2. 3 row software keyboard with meta keys (the 12.9 software keyboard should have arrow keys)
    3. More Files.app and File sheet functionality
    4. More app backgrounding capability

I’m likely going to move up to the 12.9 model by the end of the year though. The tablet form factor has so much more functionality and form factors that Apple could explore. Wish they would be more daring, instead of the very vanilla lineup they have now.
    I like that list. I hadn't thought about it but arrow keys WOULD be very handy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Using my the 10.5 ipad pro right now with Apple Pencil. It makes sense to retire it. The new ipad air is the same except for less speakers or as flash a camera essentially. Let me tell you that isnt a big deal. Plus the air is faster and has a better modem.

That said, it should have had pencil 2 support.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    entropys said:
    Using my the 10.5 ipad pro right now with Apple Pencil. It makes sense to retire it. The new ipad air is the same except for less speakers or as flash a camera essentially. Let me tell you that isnt a big deal. Plus the air is faster and has a better modem.

That said, it should have had pencil 2 support.
    I disagree on point.  If you consume a lot of media on your iPad, I think having the quad-speakers is a big deal.  The new iPad Air also lacks the 120Hz ProMotion capability.  I've never had an iOS device with that feature so I can't say for sure how much of a difference that makes.
    watto_cobra