Apple's SVP Phil Schiller hypes 2019 WWDC in rare podcast appearance

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    ike17055 said:

At today’s Apple, yes it is.  I remember when iPod was also “niche”...yet it saved Apple’s @ss from going under. And that outcome was not Apple genius, it was pure luck. 

Luck? Maybe 20%? The rest was having already been working on it for a year or three and having a design that was orders of magnitude better than the competition.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    About that Mac Pro: What if Apple says that you can put any GPU you want in your Mac Pro as long as it is made by AMD? That is a serious possibility given that Apple is having a feud with NVIDIA and will not allow it to release updated drivers.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 31
    About WWDC: This conference makes no sense. The expensive tickets are sold via lottery but the vast majority of developers can only stream the conference. When you stream, you cannot listen to the very important Q&A at the end of sessions, let alone actually ask your own questions. You also cannot take part in the labs and many other benefits of attending in person. WWDC has become just another Apple marketing event.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    About WWDC: This conference makes no sense. The expensive tickets are sold via lottery but the vast majority of developers can only stream the conference. When you stream, you cannot listen to the very important Q&A at the end of sessions, let alone actually ask your own questions. You also cannot take part in the labs and many other benefits of attending in person. WWDC has become just another Apple marketing event.
    Welcome to a world of finite resources.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 31
    crowley said:
    What resources exactly would be required to extend the online and recorded sessions a few minutes to include the Q&A?
    edited March 2019 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 31
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    And why should they pay attention to these forums, to see how anyone that disagrees with Apple get shut down as trolls? What's there to learn from that?
  • Reply 27 of 31
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I'm just we've finally cleared up that whole thing about WWDC being just about developers. That should save hours of arguing here on these forums. :) (And, I'll try not to say 'told you so' more than a few times.)
    wizard69 said:
    If you read AI enough you will from time to time see moves made by Apple that seem to be directly connected to threads on AI.  On example is fixing iBooks to store user documents after that feature was suspended for a bit.  The only thing they seem to be unresponsive about is the high prices.  Maybe that will be fixed with new product roll out this year.  
    Oh, there is a heck of a lot more than that. But, some things Apple has done in the past few years do seem to relate to broad user-complaints across the forums/sites. There have been a couple things over the years that I was 'screaming about' that Apple eventually did, but I wasn't the only one. I suppose it is possible one comment or article, if good enough in the eyes of Apple, would be implemented.

But, I'm glad to hear they don't totally ignore everything outside the campus (which, if you listen to some people on these forums, you'd get the impression).

ike17055 said:
    Sometimes ya just want to listen to good music on a good system.  
    I think we're a dying breed, unfortunately. AirPods are now considered a good system and HomePods, audiophile, I guess.
    And, I'm sort of not even joking here... I'm not sure most people under a certain age have even heard a *reasonably* good stereo system in their life anymore.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 31
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    crowley said:
    What resources exactly would be required to extend the online and recorded sessions a few minutes to include the Q&A?
    I am not a developer -- but I think you have an excellent point.  Here on ai and on other forums, I often get more from the comments than from the original article.  (Not the original article was not good, but the comments really flesh it out))
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    cgWerks said:
    GeorgeBMac said:
    So,  That puts to rest any speculation over whether Apple reads AppleInsider and the comments.
    p.s.  .... Now if they would just take my advice....    LOL...
    It would make sense that they would have a few people scanning such places to get a feel for at least what part of their customer base is thinking. It would be idiocy not to! I've never bought into that common comment saying Apple doesn't pay any attention.

And, aside from enjoying the conversation and sometimes banter, that's partly why I participate. What other way to we have to, at least as a mass group, get some kind of feedback back to Apple (OK, well they have that specific feedback mechanism, but that feels more feature-specific than general)?

lkrupp said:
    Well, if Schiller and boys are reading MacRumors and 9to5Mac, those sites are no longer Apple-centric. Both site’s forums are packed full of Android/Samsung fanboys hating on Apple at every opportunity.
    Or, they are displeased Apple customers that Apple-fan-boys think must certainly be Android trolls... because, how could anyone possibly disagree with anything Apple does?

When I go to those places, there are obviously a few Android people, but the majority seem to be Apple customers as far as I can tell.
    Yeah. I go to those sites. While there’s a contingent of, I guess we could say, anti-Apple people there, it’s mostly Apple people. 

And, we have that same contingent here. Those who never have anything good to say about Apple, and who pop up specifically to say something negative. While most of us try to be realistic in recognizing that Apple isn’t perfect, and sometimes does screwy things, mostly, and more than most other companies, they do get it right. It wouldn’t be normal to think otherwise.

i have my gripes with them, as I’m sure some people know. But overall, I more often find myself defending them.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 31
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    melgross said:
    Yeah. I go to those sites. While there’s a contingent of, I guess we could say, anti-Apple people there, it’s mostly Apple people. 

And, we have that same contingent here. Those who never have anything good to say about Apple, and who pop up specifically to say something negative. While most of us try to be realistic in recognizing that Apple isn’t perfect, and sometimes does screwy things, mostly, and more than most other companies, they do get it right. It wouldn’t be normal to think otherwise.

i have my gripes with them, as I’m sure some people know. But overall, I more often find myself defending them.
    I've been pretty harsh on them the last several years, but I also try to praise them when I think they do a good job (like the new iPad mini, for example... and the Mac mini which I just bought, and the 9.7" iPad which I bought for Christmas, etc.).

What really ticks me off is the fanboys calling people who aren't 100% positive about Apple, haters or Android trolls, or such. In many cases, I was probably around in forums writing good things about Apple (pre-Internet and since) when they were in diapers. :) I think I've earned the right to be critical, as well.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    cgWerks said:
    melgross said:

I've been pretty harsh on them the last several years, but I also try to praise them when I think they do a good job (like the new iPad mini, for example... and the Mac mini which I just bought, and the 9.7" iPad which I bought for Christmas, etc.).

What really ticks me off is the fanboys calling people who aren't 100% positive about Apple, haters or Android trolls, or such. In many cases, I was probably around in forums writing good things about Apple (pre-Internet and since) when they were in diapers. :) I think I've earned the right to be critical, as well.
    Yeah. It’s funny, because sometimes new people here burn me for being anti Apple when I write something negative, because they don’t know my history.

if Apple is reading this now, I’m sure they agree that articles and posts that are just fawning, such as we get with one writer here, aren’t helpful to them. They don’t need to know what they’re getting right, they need to know what they’re getting wrong. I always used to ask my customers what we could improve. What problems they were having. I didn’t need to know so much when things were working, I needed to know when they weren’t.

on the other hand, when posters come here specifically to unload junk, and to write nonsense that isn’t truthful but that may seem right, by posting links that themselves are deceptive (though not always intentionally), Apple very likely ignores that as well. When I was moderating, I never censored people if I could tell that what they said was honestly believed. But if they crossed the line as an actual troll, I would act, usually admonishing them, and sometimes editing out particularly hateful or obscene words or statements. I don’t believe in removing posts because management doesn’t like them. That just makes people unhappy, and suspicious as to what else we’re not seeing.
    edited March 2019 cgWerks