Apple's new 2019 iMacs deliver twice the speed as previous model, Vega graphics option

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    Hmm,

Just priced this kit:
    • 2018 Mac Mini i5 core-6 3.0 GHz, 8GB, 256 SSD
    • LG 27UK650-W
    • 32GB Corsair RAM
    • Anker bluetooth keyboard
    • Bluetooth mouse
    Total comes to $1,635 before tax.

A just announced 27" new iMac equipped as follows is $1,999 before tax ($1,799 + $200 (Corsair RAM self installed):
    • i5 6-core 3.0 GHz, 8GB, 256 SSD, Radeon Pro 570X
    • 32GB Corsair RAM
    Just presenting this as an example of my Mac Mini configuration vs. a just announced 27" iMac.

Mike W.  it would be great to see an in-depth comparison of Mac Mini versus new iMacs by AI.  Lots of us are contemplating choice.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 94
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    llsorens said:
    Can the RAM be upgraded on these new iMacs by the user
    Yes
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 94
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    HenryDJP said:
    Only the MacBook left needing a bump now. Tomorrow maybe? Although hard to see what they could do that wouldn’t eat into the Air. 

And I say this with my Education discount soon to expire. I had an iPad mini 2 I sold a while back, a 2015 iMac 27" and early 2016 MacBook.
    In my opinion the MacBook needs to die out of the lineup. It's just one step away from being an iPad Pro with MacOS on it. Especially now that the new MacBook Air has been released there's not much of a place for the standard MacBook anymore. 
    Rather:   The MacBook will be re-released with an A Series processor that leaves the MacBook Air in the dust...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 94
    madan said:
    ElCapitan said:
    This is what an incremental update looks like!  :)

Hopefully Apple has learned a lesson or two, and will keep these incremental coming at regular, reasonably predictable intervals. Meanwhile, here is a lot to like for many existing and new users. 

No there isn't.  This iMac is a joke.  And this is coming from a huge Apple fan that has not one, but TWO 27" iMacs in his house.

The new model is practically identical in performance to the model that shipped TWO years ago.

I specced a machine because I was looking for a new computer and for 3000 dollar I could be saddled with a Core i5, 8 GB of RAM and a Vega 48 that trades with a 150 dollar RX 590. 

Only a blithering moron thinks that's good hardware for the money.

Jesus Christ what a let down.  What happened to the new 3800 series?  Why not move the Vega 64 or hell, if they're cheap, the 56 down to the iMac space and simply use the Vega 7 for the Pro?

No, instead we're stuck with this nonsense.  A fiercely overpriced toy machine for  a ridiculous price.  I have no idea what I'm going to do now.
    Yes, if you only look at the hardware and forget about the Apple software and ecosystem that comes with it -- along with the years of support.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 94
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Notsofast said:
    llsorens said:
    Can the RAM be upgraded on these new iMacs by the user
    Yes
    Only on the 27” iMac. The 21.5” iMac Memory is NOT user expandable.

https://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 94
    I read all these specs and prices -- and what runs through my mind is that I can get equivalent or better specs at far lower prices on a standard Windows machine.

But then I remember that the iMac comes with Apple's software and ecosystem --- which, while "free" to us is not free to Apple.  They charge us for it through their hardware -- which makes their hardware prices seem high.
    Does anyone still believe the value of a Mac is in specs? Speeds & feeds? My iMac is still a 2011, and I’ve never had to re-install it. That would be impossible on my Windows machines.

So, you do use windows machines??? Most likely for work, I would assume.
    He wasn't saying that he prefers Windows machines.   Rather that they true value of a Mac does not lie in the hardware -- but in all the other stuff that Apple adds to the hardware:  software, ecosystem, privacy, security and reliability.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 94
    LordeHawkLordeHawk Posts: 168member
    McJobs said:
    People wanted larger screens with slimmer bezels and a PCIe-flash storage as standard across the board. Tim Cook failed again.
    This is obviously an update, expect a redesigned iMac next year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 94
    MicDorseyMicDorsey Posts: 100member
    McJobs said:
    People wanted larger screens with slimmer bezels and a PCIe-flash storage as standard across the board. Tim Cook failed again.
    Oh the curse of that darn bezel (monstrously thick, hideously ugly, and a horrid distraction that keeps me from getting ANY work done)! The least Apple could do until bezel-gate is resolved is to include a blankee with every new iMac. Oh what the heck, let's get a class-action suit going right this minute!
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    LordeHawk said:
    McJobs said:
    This is obviously an update, expect a redesigned iMac next year.
    Unfortunately, I can no longer wait for a resigned iMac and will be buying one of these updated ones.
    entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 94
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    Great deal if this was 2018.
    The good news is this is a good buy for the next 3 years as it will be one of the last revisions for this generation (I expect another in the fall), and then a new redesign next year which means revision 1 - and as we all know, never buy revision 1 anything. 

So there will be some mileage on this unit. I have a feeling there won’t be a lot of buyers remorse as the Mac Pro will be slated for a 2020 release and cost the same as a Bugatti.

Dell stocks up and Apple down on this news.
  • Reply 71 of 94
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,009member
    I read all these specs and prices -- and what runs through my mind is that I can get equivalent or better specs at far lower prices on a standard Windows machine.

But then I remember that the iMac comes with Apple's software and ecosystem --- which, while "free" to us is not free to Apple.  They charge us for it through their hardware -- which makes their hardware prices seem high.
    This has always been the thing. You can get a competing device for most any Apple hardware product and it will have dandy cutting-edge specs and possibly cost less. That’s because the competition is always chasing the bells and whistles and/or low-end market share, but at the cost of compatibility, reliability, security and quality. The cutting-edge specs will lose luster quickly, and oftentimes it just ends up being orphaned legacy ware, because rather than being part of a planned progression of technology development, the bells and whistles are just spaghetti thrown at the wall to see what sticks. OS upgrades for Windows are not free. Microsoft Office is not free. The OS is expected to address an infinite range of hardware, and thus must both be bloatware and also more crash prone, because infinite isn't actually possible. I've tried the other way and the Apple way. I like the Apple way better.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 94
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    It might finally be time to retire my old reliable Mac Pro. I really would prefer to get a new Mac Pro but I am guessing it will be priced was above what I want to spend. Is memory already available for this model? I have never owned an iMac so curious how hard the ram will be to upgrade on the 27" model.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 73 of 94
    madanmadan Posts: 103member
    madan said:
    ElCapitan said:
    This is what an incremental update looks like!  :)

Hopefully Apple has learned a lesson or two, and will keep these incremental coming at regular, reasonably predictable intervals. Meanwhile, here is a lot to like for many existing and new users. 

No there isn't.  This iMac is a joke.  And this is coming from a huge Apple fan that has not one, but TWO 27" iMacs in his house.

The new model is practically identical in performance to the model that shipped TWO years ago.

I specced a machine because I was looking for a new computer and for 3000 dollar I could be saddled with a Core i5, 8 GB of RAM and a Vega 48 that trades with a 150 dollar RX 590. 

Only a blithering moron thinks that's good hardware for the money.

Jesus Christ what a let down.  What happened to the new 3800 series?  Why not move the Vega 64 or hell, if they're cheap, the 56 down to the iMac space and simply use the Vega 7 for the Pro?

No, instead we're stuck with this nonsense.  A fiercely overpriced toy machine for  a ridiculous price.  I have no idea what I'm going to do now.
    Yes, if you only look at the hardware and forget about the Apple software and ecosystem that comes with it -- along with the years of support.

Sure.  The software is worth something. it's NOT worth a 100% markup.  That monitor is worth 1300 dollars.  The rest of the computer, even with the Vega 48 and 16 GB of RAM is hardly worth 700 dollars.  Paying a few hundred more for Apple build quality and software? Sure. Paying A THOUSAND more over a 2000 dollar machine, for WORSE performance?

No, that's dumb.
    avon b7
  • Reply 74 of 94
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    rain22 said:
    The good news is this is a good buy for the next 3 years as it will be one of the last revisions for this generation (I expect another in the fall), and then a new redesign next year which means revision 1 - and as we all know, never buy revision 1 anything. 

So there will be some mileage on this unit. I have a feeling there won’t be a lot of buyers remorse as the Mac Pro will be slated for a 2020 release and cost the same as a Bugatti.

Apple's stock was up for three hours after the release.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 94
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

Notsofast said:
    Hmm,

Just priced this kit:
    • 2018 Mac Mini i5 core-6 3.0 GHz, 8GB, 256 SSD
    • LG 27UK650-W
    • 32GB Corsair RAM
    • Anker bluetooth keyboard
    • Bluetooth mouse
    Total comes to $1,635 before tax.

A just announced 27" new iMac equipped as follows is $1,999 before tax ($1,799 + $200 (Corsair RAM self installed):
    • i5 6-core 3.0 GHz, 8GB, 256 SSD, Radeon Pro 570X
    • 32GB Corsair RAM
    Just presenting this as an example of my Mac Mini configuration vs. a just announced 27" iMac.

Mike W.  it would be great to see an in-depth comparison of Mac Mini versus new iMacs by AI.  Lots of us are contemplating choice.  
    Like so? Went live about 30 minutes after your post.

edited March 2019 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 94
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Finally! Thanks Apple, this is in my shopping list to replace my 2012 iMac. Looking forward to it!!
    Jeff_in_TXwatto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 94
    normangnormang Posts: 118member
    I don't anything compelling me to upgrade from my 2015 iMac. Screen resolution is same. I want crisper, sharper. Screen size is same. I want 30+ inch. Fusion drive. Whatever. I don't do video editing so I don't need a better graphics card. i5 processor. Snoozefest. Two years of engineering effort and this is what they deliver?
    Other than a 30" screen, this iMac would smoke your 2015 in performance.  If you want a 30" screen, or bigger add one via Thunderbolt..  Course you'll still be slower than molasses in comparison to the 2019 model..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 94
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    McJobs said:
    What people? Maybe YOU wanted that, but that doesn't EVERYONE (people) wanted that. And again, its not up to Tim Cook to determine what goes into every Mac. It would be nice if everyone would stop thinking this is what a CEO does. 
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 94
    HenryDJP said:
    Only the MacBook left needing a bump now. Tomorrow maybe? Although hard to see what they could do that wouldn’t eat into the Air. 

And I say this with my Education discount soon to expire. I had an iPad mini 2 I sold a while back, a 2015 iMac 27" and early 2016 MacBook.
    In my opinion the MacBook needs to die out of the lineup. It's just one step away from being an iPad Pro with MacOS on it. Especially now that the new MacBook Air has been released there's not much of a place for the standard MacBook anymore. 
    I like the form factor and lighter weight, would like the Touch ID and thunderbolt 3 and extra port too though. 

Do you think theyll kill the Macbook name in preference to the Air given its popularity? Again, it seems rather confusing along with the iPad naming scheme. Had hoped for Touch ID or even Face ID with the iMac too. 
    Yep, I do have a good feeling that the MacBook will finally disappear. The features you were desiring are on the new MacBook Air, (sans the face I.D) so I don't see much a reason to confuse customers any further with the MacBook. 
  • Reply 80 of 94
    rain22 said:

"Dell stocks up and Apple down on this news."

Does that make you feel better or something, or are you simply trolling? Well here's one for you, Dell stock went down after hours today. There! "eyes rolling"
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra