Most WarnerMedia content may be missing from Apple's video service at launch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2019
While HBO is in talks about appearing on Apple's impending video service, other WarnerMedia content hasn't been discussed, according to one report.

The Mouth of Sauron

That could still happen some time in the future, sources informed the Financial Times. Though owned by AT&T, WarnerMedia is a multinational media conglomerate in its own right with properties like CNN, Cinemax, the Cartoon Network and DC Entertainment, not to mention movie studios such as Warner Bros., New Line and Castle Rock.

Winning over WarnerMedia could be vital in the long term, since Apple is reportedly pursuing "smaller" and "very curated" content with an emphasis on quality over quantity. That's in contrast with rival Netflix, which is now spending tens of billions on original material, to the point that viewers have complained about the difficulty of figuring out what's worth watching.

Times sources indicated that CBS and Viacom are in "advanced talks" to license shows. The people otherwise reiterated common rumors about the service, such as an updated "TV" app and centralized subscriptions to third-party services.

Studios and networks are said to be annoyed by Apple's intense secrecy, with one executive arguing the company hasn't "illustrated a strategy." At the same time it's said to be worried about being painted as hard to work with -- that conflicts with rumors that executives as high as CEO Tim Cook are pressuring studios to deliver family-friendly, pro-technology stories. Networks like HBO have become popular partly for their willingness to break boundaries.

Apple is set to preview its video service at a March 25 press event, which begins at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will be there with live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Guys will you be subscribing to Apple News Magazines OR Apple Videos ?
    in comments a)news b)video c)both
  • Reply 2 of 19
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    For me the choice is b.
    seanismorris
  • Reply 3 of 19
    So far all we’re hearing is what the service is not going to have. Doesn’t sound very compelling from the rumors, but let’s see what’s what on March 25th.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 4 of 19
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    One reason why Warner might not be eager to license out their content is that they are launching their own streaming service later this year to compete with Netflix and presumably Apple, with three "tiers" of content availability, so they probably don't want to share their content with their direct competitors.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Studio’s resemble Facebook in data collection.  If they could, they’d analyze facial expressions of the people watching shows.

In the internet age, everything can be monitized...

• Reply 6 of 19
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    What exactly has Mr. Cue been doing all this time?
    There is nothing here to suggest success or something worth buying.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    @racerhomie3, not sure on either at this point. I'll wait to weigh it as an option after all the data is available, but right now their video service content is looking a bit anemic like their AppleTV launch.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    so they probably don't want to share their content with their direct competitors.
    Yes. Agreed. But it's not an either/or. If they also sell via Apple they get access to hundreds of millions of customers and they probably get to keep 70% of that revenue. Basically the choice is between money or brand recognition. If I was a stockholder I would usually choose the money.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    How can anyone answer that realistically until we know what Apple is actually putting out there in terms of content, price and any strings attached. 
  • Reply 10 of 19
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    What about d) neither 
    trashman69
  • Reply 11 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    None of the above. I can’t justify yet another subscription.
    flyingdp
  • Reply 12 of 19
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Neither.   If I wanted “family friendly” shows I would get the new Disney+ service.     I haven’t heard a single description of a new show that gets me interested.   Most compelling shows are adult oriented and push boundaries.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Knowing Apple, their video service will be missing from the UK for the next year.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    evilution said:
    Knowing Apple, their video service will be missing from the UK for the next year.
    For only the next year? I think you're being overly optimistic. :smiley: 
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Neither.   If I wanted “family friendly” shows I would get the new Disney+ service.     I haven’t heard a single description of a new show that gets me interested.   Most compelling shows are adult oriented and push boundaries.
    Asimov's Foundation series sounds interesting. While I like a lot stuff Apple won't make, like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones, I do love a lot of stuff that is "family friendly."

My concern isn't that something is "family friendly", but that Apple shoehorns the material into that category without concern for the most important aspect, its entertainment value.

PS: Is Disney even Disney with them owning so much content with nudity, sex, violence, other adult content and R-rated content? This was just announced today.

edited March 2019
  • Reply 16 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Soli said:
    Asimov's Foundation series sounds interesting. While I like a lot stuff Apple won't make, like _Breaking Bad_ and _Game of Thrones_, I do love a lot of stuff that is "family friendly."

My concern isn't that something isn't "family friendly", but that Apple shoehorns the material into that category without concern for the most important aspect, the entertainment value.

PS: Is Disney even Disney with them owning so much content with nudity, sex, violence, other adult content and R-rated content? This was just announced today.

Not sure I'd be a fan of avoiding anything that doesn't paint technology in a good light, assuming the rumors of Apple going that direction are true. There's been a number of good programs and movies in that genre that give us pause, sometimes for good reason. 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 17 of 19
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    Definitely need to see 'The Mouth' if I am watching the extended version of the LotR (Return of the King)!! 👍
    sidrictheviking
  • Reply 18 of 19
    rezwits said:
    Definitely need to see 'The Mouth' if I am watching the extended version of the LotR (Return of the King)!! 👍

There is no other version of the Lord of the Rings!!
    sidrictheviking
  • Reply 19 of 19
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    davgreg said:
    What exactly has Mr. Cue been doing all this time?
    There is nothing here to suggest success or something worth buying.
    Waiting for the AT&T deal to finalize. They know from experience what happens when a company is acquired. Things change quickly. Now he can negotiate with the owner who will be there. Why negotiate terms, announce a product assuming their partnership then find out it’s off because AT&T changed their minds.