Apple unveils new AirPods with Wireless Charging Case, 50% more talk time & 'Hey Siri' [u]...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gutengel said:
    Ordered, figured what the hell and got the wireless case even tho I don’t have a charger for it. Just anticipating AirPower coming tomorrow and suddenly wanting it now that I’d have three wireless things I could toss on it. 

Was hoping for matte Space Grey to go with everything else I own but these’ll have to do. I guess they’ll match my Pencil 2?
    Match your apple pencil how? The plastic is not matte like the pencil and on the pencil you get new design, gestures and wireless charging for $30. With the new AidPods you get same design, same gestures and wireless charging for just $40! What a bargain...
    Also, the new H1 chip, improved sync, faster switching and connecting of calls, "Hey, Siri", 50% longer talk time on calls (which seems like a huge improvement), etc, not sure why you're choosing to ignore a bunch of the new features. The extra $40 is pretty much only for the wireless charging case as you can get the new AirPods for the same price as the originals with the regular charging case, and $40 doesn't seem like that much to me. Much better than paying $79 for just the case.

Speaking of that, any word on if the wireless charging case works with the original AirPods?
    Why wouldn’t the new case work with the prior model AirPods? They both use a contact for charging inside the case, right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 88
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Interesting that there is no mention of improved sound quality -- which is the primary reason for owning AirPods -- music.

That's not to criticize the original AirPods because I find their sound quality to be mind blowing --- it's hard to believe that they got that kind of sound out of something so small and wireless.  But, we've gotten use to constant upgrades in everything.
    caladanianwatto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 23 of 88
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    There goes my budget for the month (or more)...

Ordered the new 10+ iPad for myself the other day.  I know my wife will love the new AirPods.  She's been looking to get unwired for a while.

[She just walked into the living room.  Said, "I don't need the wireless charging case."]

OK.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 88
    Waiting for a second gen Beats X with this new H1 chip. I passed up the original air pods twice because they don't have a way to control volume other than Siri. I'm a frequent song skipper, which I find much easier to do with inline controls keeping my phone locked in my pocket.
    ravnorodomleftoverbaconfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 88
    Improvements, sure, but nothing that makes me want to drop what I’m doing and order a new set. A solid ‘meh’ from me.
    brucemc
  • Reply 26 of 88
    $79 for the wireless charging case. Apple is effing crazy. I picked up a case at the local Apple reseller for $30. I could see paying more if it offered more and still the sound quality of the AirPods is fair to partly cloudy. But to each his or her own. 
    I'm curious what you bought. Do you have an Amazon link or something?
    The back says LAB. (C)™ 
    leftoverbacon
  • Reply 27 of 88
    $79 for the wireless charging case. Apple is effing crazy. I picked up a case at the local Apple reseller for $30. I could see paying more if it offered more and still the sound quality of the AirPods is fair to partly cloudy. But to each his or her own. 
    I'm curious what you bought. Do you have an Amazon link or something?
    They are basically sleeves for the current AirPods case, ranging from $20-40.  
    $20
    $36
    $40
    $79 for Apple's case may be worth it for those who want OEM peace of mind.  For others, not so much.  YMMV
    Ah, okay, I've seen those. I was wondering if OP got an entire third-party charging case for that $30, because that would be new.

$59 for the charging case + one of these doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but you're right, YMMV.
    I paid $30 for just the wireless charging case which is a shell around the Apple case.
  • Reply 28 of 88
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Great. This is what we need. Airpod 1 keeps enhancing it's audio related capability and whenever AirPod 2 happens with health sensors besides audio capability.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 88
    ihatescreennames said: Speaking of that, any word on if the wireless charging case works with the original AirPods?
    Per the Apple web site: "The Wireless Charging Case works with all generations of AirPods and can hold multiple charges."
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 88
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    zhtfreak said:
    I passed up the original air pods twice because they don't have a way to control volume other than Siri. I'm a frequent song skipper, which I find much easier to do with inline controls keeping my phone locked in my pocket.
    You can remap the tap action on the buds — I use Siri on the right and skip on the left. 

Cant help you with volume, although the Apple Watch can swing that... 
    leftoverbaconn2itivguyfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 88
    HubbeHubbe Posts: 1member
    It would seem to me they’re already water (and detergent) proof:

I thought I had lost my AirPods a couple of weeks ago - until I found them on the bottom of my washing machine, after a 40 minute cycle at 40C/105F. They worked perfectly (and of course they’re nice and clean too)!

Nevertheless I suppose I should recommend not to do this intentionally...

Amazing quality and performance already, now about to be improved further.
    GG1StrangeDaysleftoverbaconGeorgeBMacpatchythepiratecaladanianfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 88
    Hubbe said:
    It would seem to me they’re already water (and detergent) proof:

I thought I had lost my AirPods a couple of weeks ago - until I found them on the bottom of my washing machine, after a 40 minute cycle at 40C/105F. They worked perfectly (and of course they’re nice and clean too)!

Nevertheless I suppose I should recommend not to do this intentionally...

Amazing quality and performance already, now about to be improved further.
    That happened to me with two different pair of airpods. Both survived. Pretty amazing.
    leftoverbaconGeorgeBMacpatchythepiratecaladanianfastasleepbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 88
    gutengel said:
    Ordered, figured what the hell and got the wireless case even tho I don’t have a charger for it. Just anticipating AirPower coming tomorrow and suddenly wanting it now that I’d have three wireless things I could toss on it. 

Was hoping for matte Space Grey to go with everything else I own but these’ll have to do. I guess they’ll match my Pencil 2?
    Match your apple pencil how? The plastic is not matte like the pencil and on the pencil you get new design, gestures and wireless charging for $30. With the new AidPods you get same design, same gestures and wireless charging for just $40! What a bargain...
    Also, the new H1 chip, improved sync, faster switching and connecting of calls, "Hey, Siri", 50% longer talk time on calls (which seems like a huge improvement), etc, not sure why you're choosing to ignore a bunch of the new features. The extra $40 is pretty much only for the wireless charging case as you can get the new AirPods for the same price as the originals with the regular charging case, and $40 doesn't seem like that much to me. Much better than paying $79 for just the case.

Speaking of that, any word on if the wireless charging case works with the original AirPods?
    Why wouldn’t the new case work with the prior model AirPods? They both use a contact for charging inside the case, right?
    Well, a first gen product doens’t always work with the second gen accessories and there was no mention so I was curious.

ihatescreennames said: Speaking of that, any word on if the wireless charging case works with the original AirPods?
    Per the Apple web site: "The Wireless Charging Case works with all generations of AirPods and can hold multiple charges."
    Nice, thanks! I havne’t had time to check anything and just saw this article.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 88
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    maclin3 said:
    What happened to the new surface to keep them from slipping out?
    Do you know what a RUMOR is?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Yeah I'm with you, AirPower tomorrow, and I figure there might possibly be one more hardware product dropped before the Apple presentation on the 25th. Keep it going for a week. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 88
    davgreg said:
    Only in white- still.
    Pass
    How original.
    StrangeDaysbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 88
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    I noted that Apple only allows store pickup.  I suspect that might be because they will announce the charging mat before weeks end.  Neither device will work without the updated software, which probably won’t be introduced until Monday’s Show Time event.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 88
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    If you buy wireless Airpod on AppleStore app, as I did, you may also be offered "Designed by Apple in California--10.2 x 12.8 inches" For $US199. Odd thing is it appears to come in two sizes in the picture
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 88
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,007member
    davgreg said:
    Only in white- still.
    Pass
    I still think they're disinclined to make them in black because they'd be too easy to lose. Also, there's the branding that has been wrapped up in white Apple ear buds since the first generation iPod.  White AirPods are much easier to find in the various dark places one might drop them than would be black ones. Also, if they did put out black ones, there'd first be a short flurry of internet comments from people who have been waiting on that option, followed by a much louder (but quite possibly not larger) wave of anger, insisting that Apple made them in black just to profit from selling replacements for all the lost ones. Then there'd be lots of handwringing in the press and the inevitable class action lawsuit. 
    edited March 2019 dewmeStrangeDaysArthurDardalisn2itivguybeowulfschmidtbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 88
    Still have the original AirPods I got just before Christmas 2016 and used them like crazy every day, until they crapped out to the point I couldn't use them long for talking on the phone. But they still work for listening to podcasts and are functional for that use. 

Never lost a pod but did misplace the case about a year ago, never to be seen again. AirPods stay in my ear almost as though they were glued - I wear them on walks, in bed listening to podcasts, and they've stayed in place remarkably well. 

Amazing technology packed into a tiny package!
    StrangeDaysn2itivguywatto_cobra