Apple unveils new AirPods with Wireless Charging Case, 50% more talk time & 'Hey Siri' [u]...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    That's NOT Airpower mat, but Apple's book. Dang! I was hoping otherwise
  • Reply 42 of 88
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    Woohoo. The wife will get this model while I wait for the tin cans. 

If AirPower comes out this week, it would be perfect for her too, as long as the loose placement works. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 88
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    maclin3 said:
    What happened to the new surface to keep them from slipping out?
    Don't believe everything you read. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 88
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,987member
    Also, is it just me, or is the string of updated hardware releases before next week's Apple keynote event kind of unusual? 

Seems like they're making room for something. Don't they normally announce product releases at the event, or when they don't, it's not right before a scheduled address?

The expectation is that the keynote is about their new TV content offerings, but it seems like they must be expecting to announce something substantial if they're pushing out the hardware releases without the fanfare.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 88
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Dammit, I was praying that these would come in black. It's what has been stopping me from picking up the 1st gen. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 88
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Hubbe said:
    It would seem to me they’re already water (and detergent) proof:

I thought I had lost my AirPods a couple of weeks ago - until I found them on the bottom of my washing machine, after a 40 minute cycle at 40C/105F. They worked perfectly (and of course they’re nice and clean too)!

Nevertheless I suppose I should recommend not to do this intentionally...

Amazing quality and performance already, now about to be improved further.
    Yes, that's how I keep my AirPods clean ;-)

Seriously, I love these things, although it spoiled me forever because now I realize how annoying corded headphones are. It seems that Apple's deliberately downplaying the new features. I got the original set on launch day, and the features aren't enough for me to upgrade until the batteries on my originals fail (although I would certainly appreciate hey siri and the faster phone switching).
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 88
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 687member
    Still no AppleCare for them. Because it's not if water will damage them, it's when water will damage them.
  • Reply 48 of 88
    davgreg said:
    Only in white- still.
    Pass
    The white is iconic. But if color is going to keep you from buying a great pair of wireless earbuds then it's true what people say about Apple customers. 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 49 of 88

bageljoey said:
    No biometric sensors?
    (I feel a little bit better about my recent AirPod purchase :) )
    Well aside from features, Apple generally improves sound quality on their products without announcing it. The 2018 MBP 15" has new speakers that add more rich bass and it's very obvious when compared to the 2017 MBP 15", but Apple has not mentioned anything on their website about improved sound. I would bet the new Air Pods sound significantly better. 
    GeorgeBMaccaladanianfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 88

$79 for the wireless charging case. Apple is effing crazy. I picked up a case at the local Apple reseller for $30. I could see paying more if it offered more and still the sound quality of the AirPods is fair to partly cloudy. But to each his or her own. 
    I'm curious what you bought. Do you have an Amazon link or something?
    They are basically sleeves for the current AirPods case, ranging from $20-40.  
    $20
    $36
    $40
    $79 for Apple's case may be worth it for those who want OEM peace of mind.  For others, not so much.  YMMV
    Most likely I’ll be selling my old airpods for around $100, and paying $100 to get longer battery life plus wireless charging plus hey Siri which will be great for the car. A much better deal than my first airpods purchase.
    $100 when the regular price for new is only $60 more. Well good luck with that. I don't understand people buying earbuds that have been in someone else's ears. Not sanitary. 
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 88
    Did anyone notice the system requirements,

iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models with iOS 12.2 or later

Apple Watch models with watchOS 5.2 or later

Mac models with macOS 10.14.4 or later

12.2 isnt even out yet? So it seems safe to assume 12.2 is dropping Monday when these would be delivered.

n2itivguycaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 88
    AppleZulu said:
    Also, is it just me, or is the string of updated hardware releases before next week's Apple keynote event kind of unusual? 

Seems like they're making room for something. Don't they normally announce product releases at the event, or when they don't, it's not right before a scheduled address?

The expectation is that the keynote is about their new TV content offerings, but it seems like they must be expecting to announce something substantial if they're pushing out the hardware releases without the fanfare.
    It's been typical for Apple in the past the release either new product or new softwares just before a keynote. Sometimes the new product benefits from what is being shown at the following keynote but it's generally because they don't have room to showcase new product during the keynote. Also, if you really think about it, nothing Apple announced this past week really needs to be announced at a keynote. It's simply product updates. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 88

tipoo said:

I’m also re-reading the product page over and over because I’m not sure if it means they have any improved sound quality over the original, or just the latency is lower.

I think these are a 'speed bump' version of the Airpods 1, except speed = better wireless and hey siri, where the Airpods 2 with the new texture and other new features are coming later in the year?

No such product has ever been announced, confirmed, or leaked. I doubt you'll see that this year, personally.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 88
    Interesting that there is no mention of improved sound quality -- which is the primary reason for owning AirPods -- music.

That's not to criticize the original AirPods because I find their sound quality to be mind blowing --- it's hard to believe that they got that kind of sound out of something so small and wireless.  But, we've gotten use to constant upgrades in everything.
    That's an assumption on your part. Hour for hour, I use them more for work calls and netflix in bed. When I do use for music, it's in the gym where I really don't care about audio excellence honestly. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 88
    While these do seem enticing, in Canada these new versions with the wireless charging are just over $300 after taxes. Probably have to stick with the originals for now. I'm a fan of the faster pairing and extended talk time, but with no mentioned audio improvements, the originals are just fine for me at the moment. The W1 is more than fast enough for me and my batteries are still doing quite well. So I guess it's a wait and see for me. 

As for new releases, I'd love to see AirPower released tomorrow. I'm loving this new stuff everyday. For Friday, maybe the new iPod touch that has been rumoured? That would be a great addition leading up to a special event. Plus, extended press coverage every day of the week doesn't hurt. Could be a new product release strategy being tested by Apple right now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 88
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    I guess I'll hold off on my Beats purchase now until they get the new H1 chip.
    maclin3watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 88

zhtfreak said:
    Waiting for a second gen Beats X with this new H1 chip. I passed up the original air pods twice because they don't have a way to control volume other than Siri. I'm a frequent song skipper, which I find much easier to do with inline controls keeping my phone locked in my pocket.
    FYI, I believe with the iPhone in your pocket you can still press the volume up/down and it changes without the need to unlock or use Siri. May not be exactly what you mean tho.
    leftoverbaconwatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 88

Improvements, sure, but nothing that makes me want to drop what I’m doing and order a new set. A solid ‘meh’ from me.
    Let us know your position after your two-year-old batteries have run down. Ordered.

Just like most all Apple products, iterative improvement is the name of the game. By the time any given individual needs to upgrade they get new stuff they didnt have before.
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 88
    maclin3maclin3 Posts: 24member
    jbdragon said:
    maclin3 said:
    What happened to the new surface to keep them from slipping out?
    Do you know what a RUMOR is?
    Everything at super-secret Apple is a rumor before launch. What are discussion sites like this for? It's definitely a real issue for a portion of the iPhone-owning population and it would be great if Apple would address it when, as some are suggesting, the real AirPods 2 update occurs. In the meantime, I have my less-sleek (but pretty reasonably priced) PowerBeats3.
    As for the idea that Apple would do a second update of the AirPods later this year, I would be surprised. Maybe this time next year, or holidays 2020 more likely. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 88
    Appleish said:
    Still no AppleCare for them. Because it's not if water will damage them, it's when water will damage them.
    Two years, no water damage. So, uh, when?