Apple unveils new AirPods with Wireless Charging Case, 50% more talk time & 'Hey Siri' [u]...

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    maclin3maclin3 Posts: 24member
    AppleZulu said:
    davgreg said:
    Only in white- still.
    Pass
    I still think they're disinclined to make them in black because they'd be too easy to lose. Also, there's the branding that has been wrapped up in white Apple ear buds since the first generation iPod.  White AirPods are much easier to find in the various dark places one might drop them than would be black ones. Also, if they did put out black ones, there'd first be a short flurry of internet comments from people who have been waiting on that option, followed by a much louder (but quite possibly not larger) wave of anger, insisting that Apple made them in black just to profit from selling replacements for all the lost ones. Then there'd be lots of handwringing in the press and the inevitable class action lawsuit. 
    I agree. White earbuds feel synonymous with Apple in some ways. Maybe we'll eventually get a Beats version of the AirPods and then you can pick from 20 colors, 18 of which will be gaudy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 88
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,008member
    HenryDJP said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Also, is it just me, or is the string of updated hardware releases before next week's Apple keynote event kind of unusual? 

Seems like they're making room for something. Don't they normally announce product releases at the event, or when they don't, it's not right before a scheduled address?

The expectation is that the keynote is about their new TV content offerings, but it seems like they must be expecting to announce something substantial if they're pushing out the hardware releases without the fanfare.
    It's been typical for Apple in the past the release either new product or new softwares just before a keynote. Sometimes the new product benefits from what is being shown at the following keynote but it's generally because they don't have room to showcase new product during the keynote. Also, if you really think about it, nothing Apple announced this past week really needs to be announced at a keynote. It's simply product updates. 
    ...but they need to announce the product updates in the keynote to maximize the online whingeing about "incrementalism."
    maclin3watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 88
    Busy week! AirPower tomorrow? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 88
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    dcgoo said:
    Outstanding!...  My first generation were really getting tired, down to about an hour battery life, less if on the phone.  Black would have been nice, but I'll take 'em!  Ordered

Devices that are throw-away simply because the batteries are dying really irk me.
    Apple really should address this kind of waste.
    leftoverbaconMplsP
  • Reply 65 of 88
    HenryDJP said:

$79 for the wireless charging case. Apple is effing crazy. I picked up a case at the local Apple reseller for $30. I could see paying more if it offered more and still the sound quality of the AirPods is fair to partly cloudy. But to each his or her own. 
    I'm curious what you bought. Do you have an Amazon link or something?
    They are basically sleeves for the current AirPods case, ranging from $20-40.  
    $20
    $36
    $40
    $79 for Apple's case may be worth it for those who want OEM peace of mind.  For others, not so much.  YMMV
    Most likely I’ll be selling my old airpods for around $100, and paying $100 to get longer battery life plus wireless charging plus hey Siri which will be great for the car. A much better deal than my first airpods purchase.
    $100 when the regular price for new is only $60 more. Well good luck with that. I don't understand people buying earbuds that have been in someone else's ears. Not sanitary. 

Well apparently you just throw them through the washing machine!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 88
    I may be missing something here, what exactly do they mean with Hey Siri support????  Hey Siri works just fine by double tapping the AirPod if my iPhone is within range.
  • Reply 67 of 88
    I may be missing something here, what exactly do they mean with Hey Siri support????  Hey Siri works just fine by double tapping the AirPod if my iPhone is within range.

Hey Siri is activated by just talking, not pressing anything.
    ArthurDardalisfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 88
    sandor said:

Hey Siri is activated by just talking, not pressing anything.
    Thanks for the clarification, appreciate it.👍
    sandorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 88
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    andrewj5790 said:
    Most likely I’ll be selling my old airpods for around $100
    There’s a market for used in-ear phones? Ewwwwwwww...
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 70 of 88
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Brilliant strategy leading up to WWDC. New releases every day is like Christmas, New Year and a Birthday party every day!

This was really well planned by Apple.... intense media coverage every day of the week.

I wonder what's coming tomorrow and Friday? :smiley: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 88

Speaking of that, any word on if the wireless charging case works with the original AirPods?

Yes, the Wireless Charging Case works with the first-gen AirPods.
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 88
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,685member
    HenryDJP said:
    davgreg said:
    Only in white- still.
    Pass
    The white is iconic. But if color is going to keep you from buying a great pair of wireless earbuds then it's true what people say about Apple customers. 
    Lots of Apple things were 'iconic' in their own way but are now history. The multicoloured Apple logo for starters.

There is no good reason to limit them to being available only white. It's time to open up the colour options IMO.

Competitors already offer different colours and I doubt the next version will be limited to white anyway.
  • Reply 73 of 88

maclin3 said:
    What happened to the new surface to keep them from slipping out?

This reminds me of the original iPad Shuffle... the slider control was ridiculous! For a device designed to be used when running, your hands may be sweaty... total oversight by Apple. Their addiction to form over function strikes again.
  • Reply 74 of 88
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,685member
    HenryDJP said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Also, is it just me, or is the string of updated hardware releases before next week's Apple keynote event kind of unusual? 

Seems like they're making room for something. Don't they normally announce product releases at the event, or when they don't, it's not right before a scheduled address?

The expectation is that the keynote is about their new TV content offerings, but it seems like they must be expecting to announce something substantial if they're pushing out the hardware releases without the fanfare.
    It's been typical for Apple in the past the release either new product or new softwares just before a keynote. Sometimes the new product benefits from what is being shown at the following keynote but it's generally because they don't have room to showcase new product during the keynote. Also, if you really think about it, nothing Apple announced this past week really needs to be announced at a keynote. It's simply product updates. 
    My very outside bet is on a 'one more thing' full blown TV to round out the video content offering.
  • Reply 75 of 88
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    avon b7 said:
    HenryDJP said:
    davgreg said:
    Only in white- still.
    Pass
    The white is iconic. But if color is going to keep you from buying a great pair of wireless earbuds then it's true what people say about Apple customers. 
    Lots of Apple things were 'iconic' in their own way but are now history. The multicoloured Apple logo for starters.

There is no good reason to limit them to being available only white. It's time to open up the colour options IMO.

Competitors already offer different colours and I doubt the next version will be limited to white anyway.
    Ah yes, you and your “competitors”. Just buy your chinese knockoffs already. “FlyPods” are just as good, right?

edited March 2019 SpamSandwichmacplusplusbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 88
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    $79 for the wireless charging case. Apple is effing crazy. I picked up a case at the local Apple reseller for $30. I could see paying more if it offered more and still the sound quality of the AirPods is fair to partly cloudy. But to each his or her own. 
    Well, if you look at the price difference, it's actually $40; when AirPods originally came out, it was $69 to replace the plug-in case, so their pricing is at least consistent. Whether being able to charge your AirPods wirelessly is worth that much of a premium is up to you; it's at least nice that they make the case available separately.

These strike me as a bit of an evolutionary upgrade to the AirPods. The W1 chip was revolutionary, the H1 chip is just better. Many people use AirPods primarily for listening and don't talk much so the additional talk time is nice, but not much use for them. It kind of strikes me like an 's' upgrade for the phones. If you're getting AirPods anyway then the newer ones are nicer. If you already have AirPods that work fine it's probably not worth the money to upgrade. The article doesn't mention if you can buy just the AirPods separately. If you have a pair that's aging and don't care about the wireless case, it would be nice to be able to get just the AirPods.

I agree that it's puzzling that the article doesn't comment on sound quality since that is the primary purpose of AirPods - making sound.
    mbenz1962
  • Reply 77 of 88
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    sandor said:
    dcgoo said:
    Outstanding!...  My first generation were really getting tired, down to about an hour battery life, less if on the phone.  Black would have been nice, but I'll take 'em!  Ordered

Devices that are throw-away simply because the batteries are dying really irk me.
    Apple really should address this kind of waste.
    Totally agree - it would have been really nice if they had some means of making a cap that you could unscrew at the end of the post to replace the battery. Having a high-end device like AirPods that is designed to throw away in 3 years with no other options (and limited to no options for recycling) is poor design.
    edited March 2019 sandor
  • Reply 78 of 88
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    gutengel said:
    Ordered, figured what the hell and got the wireless case even tho I don’t have a charger for it. Just anticipating AirPower coming tomorrow and suddenly wanting it now that I’d have three wireless things I could toss on it. 

Was hoping for matte Space Grey to go with everything else I own but these’ll have to do. I guess they’ll match my Pencil 2?
    Match your apple pencil how? The plastic is not matte like the pencil and on the pencil you get new design, gestures and wireless charging for $30. With the new AidPods you get same design, same gestures and wireless charging for just $40! What a bargain...
    I’m referring to the color, obviously. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 88
    emoeller said:
    I noted that Apple only allows store pickup.  I suspect that might be because they will announce the charging mat before weeks end.  Neither device will work without the updated software, which probably won’t be introduced until Monday’s Show Time event.
    Mine are getting mailed to me Mar 27-29.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 88
    slurpy said:
    Dammit, I was praying that these would come in black. It's what has been stopping me from picking up the 1st gen. 
    There’s always this option:

https://www.colorware.com/categories.aspx?category=189