“staingate” on modern (Touch Bar era) Macbooks?

Posted:
in General Discussion
’sup nerds… so there was an issue with 2012 Macbook Pros where the anti-reflecting coating in the display would come apart. Mine was one affected, and fortunately Apple did the right thing and launched a replacement program. So, cool.

I'm now starting to see signs of the same problem on my 2016 Macbook Pro. Usually when issues like this happen I hear a lot of noise on Twitter or this site… but I haven't heard a peep about it. Is anyone else seeing signs of this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Eric_WVGG said:
    ’sup nerds… so there was an issue with 2012 Macbook Pros where the anti-reflecting coating in the display would come apart. Mine was one affected, and fortunately Apple did the right thing and launched a replacement program. So, cool.

I'm now starting to see signs of the same problem on my 2016 Macbook Pro. Usually when issues like this happen I hear a lot of noise on Twitter or this site… but I haven't heard a peep about it. Is anyone else seeing signs of this?
    There's a diagnostic code for it in Apple's service data, as there's been since 2013, but the numbers are really, really low on the 2016+. Lower than they've been in a few years.
    Eric_WVGG
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    Good to know. Goddamn this thing has been a lemon. (on its third keyboard)

Not looking forward to the next major form factor revision, will have to decide between taking another gamble on another first-generation design or put up with this thing for yet one more year.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Good to know. Goddamn this thing has been a lemon. (on its third keyboard)

Not looking forward to the next major form factor revision, will have to decide between taking another gamble on another first-generation design or put up with this thing for yet one more year.
    FWIW, when we run service data comparisons, we don't generally include the Retina de-lamination.

It sucks that you got a lemon, it does happen. But, even not including the de-lamination, and including keyboard failures on the 2016+, the 2016-2018 are still less prone to failures in the first year of operation overall, and after the first year failure rates are roughly equivalent across the entire MBP line since 2010.

More on this very soon.
    edited March 2019 Eric_WVGG