AirPower production approved earlier in 2019, rumor says, pointing to imminent release

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2020
Production of Apple's long-delayed AirPower charging mat was approved earlier in 2019, a report claimed on Wednesday, adding to rumors it could ship soon -- possibly even this week.

AirPower

The accessory was delayed by "product-development challenges" which have since been rectified, the Wall Street Journal said, citing anonymous sources. No further explanation was offered, but in September 2018 a report said a launch would be delayed until spring because of heat and interference issues.

Wednesday's report was tacked on to the end of the AirPods refresh announcement, by the Wall Street Journal. At present, it isn't clear if the "sources" cited in the story for the AirPower charging pad's imminent release are new, or a reiteration of the report that circulated earlier in 2019 saying that Apple was manufacturing the devices.

Apple originally announced the AirPower in September 2017 with a broad 2018 launch window. That time came and went without any official news, leading some people to wonder if it had been quietly canceled.

A spring 2019 launch is backed up by multiple reports, including a memo by well-connected TF International Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. This week has also seen a string of surprise Apple releases, including new AirPods with a wireless charging case, updated iPad Air and Mini tablets, and a refreshed iMac lineup.

It might make sense then for Apple to launch the AirPower later this week, clearing the slate ahead of a March 25 press event. That gathering will focus mostly on a long-anticipated video streaming service, as well as paid Apple News subscriptions.
cincymac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    A wireless charger does consume electricity when not in use, but the amount of lost energy per year is roughly the same as a single charge to an iPhone. Even so, green organizations should despise wireless chargers and give Apple some flak for introducing it.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    Odd that it didn't come out today, but there's still tomorrow ... or Friday ... or the March 25 event!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    A wireless charger does consume electricity when not in use, but the amount of lost energy per year is roughly the same as a single charge to an iPhone. Even so, green organizations should despise wireless chargers and give Apple some flak for introducing it.
    Yeah no. You have power bleeding out of your eyeballs at home and accept it. It’s true inductive chargers are less efficient but it’s still a valid use case. Just like flying in a fast jet is a valid use case, despite the increased use of expensive jet fuel. 

We all use energy in different ways. Some things in the way I live are likely more efficient than the way you live, and vice versa. 
    edited March 2019 patchythepirateuraharamuthuk_vanalingamn2itivguy
  • Reply 4 of 11
    The energy lost per year is equal to one single iphone charge? And you feel that anyone should care, let alone "despise" this?

This is why people hate social justice warriors. They are not logical. (There are other ways to say this, but I'll keep it civil.)
  • Reply 5 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    The energy lost per year is equal to one single iphone charge? And you feel that anyone should care, let alone "despise" this?

This is why people hate social justice warriors. They are not logical. (There are other ways to say this, but I'll keep it civil.)
    Too late, you already spouted irrational nonsense, injecting your social-political agenda where it was not needed nor wanted. As to your claim that SJW are illogical, that's just unsubstantiated nonsense. It's akin to me saying whoever-voters are mouth-breathing gamer-gate dough-boys. That's opinion, not a statement of fact at all. It's like saying "Strawberry ice cream is the best." Pretty worthless, as far as statements go, really.

(Also, you said you were going to quit AI after being triggered by Trump stories. What happened?)

edited March 2019 n2itivguy
  • Reply 6 of 11

Too late, you already spouted irrational nonsense, injecting your social-political agenda where it was not needed nor wanted. As to your claim that SJW are illogical, that's just unsubstantiated nonsense. It's akin to me saying whoever-voters are mouth-breathing gamer-gate dough-boys. That's opinion, not a statement of fact at all. It's like saying "Strawberry ice cream is the best." Pretty worthless, as far as statements go, really.

(Also, you said you were going to quit AI after being triggered by Trump stories. What happened?)

Lol. What? You realize you make no sense right?

My comment was addressing a prime example of illogical SJWs.

Also, I’m flattered that you seem pretty obsessed with me, always mentioning me “quitting AI” or something, but I think it would be healthier for you to focus on yourself. Since you keep asking.. I never said I was going to quit, just unsubscribe to the $10/year ad free app, which I did. 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 7 of 11
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    chasm said:
    Odd that it didn't come out today, but there's still tomorrow ... or Friday ... or the March 25 event!
    I'm going out on a limb, and saying they won't announce it on Monday. Monday is going to be all about TV and services, and the Air Power doesn't fit into that. Maybe, just maybe, it will come out in the next few days in a manner similar to the hardware refreshes so far this week, or it will come out at a later hardware event. I think an event is more likely, as it is a new line of hardware, but not at the TV event, and not at an event of its own.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    RhythmagicRhythmagic Posts: 63unconfirmed, member
    This will work perfect for my green project involving solar power. 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member

SJWs are waging war against inductive recharging? I dunno about that.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    netrox said:

SJWs are waging war against inductive recharging? I dunno about that.
    Well, this particular one was. (I never said all.)
  • Reply 11 of 11
    RSGinSFRSGinSF Posts: 22member
    Updated iPod tomorrow (Thursday), and Airpower on Friday.
    n2itivguy