Video: Everything you need to know about the new AirPods before you buy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Wireless charging of the case is a minor upgrade. For me charging airpods without case via iPhone would be a greater upgrade. I take my airpods without its case when I go for a walk. Mine used to work about 4 hours last year but now it works hardly 2 hours. For this situation, I wish airpods themselves would be able to charge via iPhone.
    The case is so small, and so easily pocketable... If going on a 2-4 hour walk I can’t imagine not wanting to have it with me, especially should I wish to take them off and not lose em. In the case they go. 
    randominternetpersonGaby
  • Reply 22 of 68
    normang said:
    I wish Apple would stop with the value add, and just provide a set of AirPod II with charging case for same price. They can make it up with the Gen 1 upgrade to the charging case. But no, you have to spend $199 for the AirPod II and charging. Not $159. Even $79 for the charging case alone seems a little steep. Yeah I know Apple has always prices as premium, but minor adjustments would probably sell more, IF they can make them, always seems like there is never enough...
    So you’re saying both that they could sell more if they were cheaper, and also that they are in too high-demand (scarcity). Uh huh.
    randominternetpersonronndoozydozen
  • Reply 23 of 68
    cpsro said:

Starting off, everything you loved about the original AirPods has been carried over. They are still a pair of true wireless earbuds with great sound and solid battery life.
    I sure don't love the sound. The original AirPods do not sound great.
    They can never compete with big cans, but for ultra portable, super convenient pods, they sound great. Perfect for the gym, walks, work calls, and streaming. It’s fine.
    lkruppmacplusplusn2itivguy
  • Reply 24 of 68
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Seems like gouging to me.
    the case on its own would have been a nice fit at $49 (as should individual replacement AirPods) The non wireless ones could have been $129 and the wireless set $159 replacing the old price of the first version. 

That at would be a reasonable price set up in comparison with the competition (cough, galaxy buds, cough, which have been priced with the AirPods price in mind).  It would make the AirPods no brainers really. You can bet in the marketing branch these very prices would have been debated. The champions of those prices would have lost to those who know that for the short term these will sell out even at these prices. But it would have been amusing to make the competition look badly priced for once. I guess one must never leave $ on the table.

still, if this is the worst sin, at least it has been a week or releasing things for once.  For some reason there has been a terrible gap in product updates that should never have happened.  Let’s hope there isn’t a similar gap in hardware going forward.
    libertyforall
  • Reply 25 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    entropys said:
    the case on its own would have been a nice fit at $49 (as should individual replacement AirPods) The non wireless ones could have been $129 and the wireless set $159 replacing the old price of the first version. 

That at would be a reasonable price set up in comparison with the competition (cough, galaxy buds, cough, which have been priced with the AirPods price in mind).  It would make the AirPods no brainers really. You can bet in the marketing branch these very prices would have been debated. The champions of those prices would have lost to those who know that for the short term these will sell out even at these prices. But it would have been amusing to make the competition look badly priced for once. I guess one must never leave $ on the table.

still, if this is the worst sin, at least it has been a week or releasing things for once.  For some reason there has been a terrible gap in product updates that should never have happened.  Let’s hope there isn’t a similar gap in hardware going forward.
    So Apple should price its offerings based on what the competition charges for similar but inferior products... which the competitor priced based upon what Apple charges. And you don’t see the cognitive dissonance of that statement? 
    n2itivguyronndoozydozen
  • Reply 26 of 68
    entropys said:
    Price gouging? Yeah no. The term applies to when you have little choice. Consumers have many choices here. At launch APs were considered mid-range in price compared to high-end wireless options.

That you consider them overpriced is actually no surprise at all, tho.
    macguironndoozydozenGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 68
    lkrupp said:
    Great little video that, good work. 
    So i’ve bought myself a pair this afternoon. Am I the only one so mesmerised by the wireless case who’s just realised they don’t yet have a wireless charger? Come onnnnn AirPower.
    Apple marketing and allure has cost me again. This won’t be the last time im sure. 
    What on earth are you talking about? There is indeed a wireless charging case available now. AirPods without a wireless charging case are $159. AirPods with a wireless charging case are $199. It’s your choice. So take your AirPods back, or cancel your order, and get the AirPods with the wireless charging case instead.
    Read it again...
    Ha, yes, thanks for that. Not sure this person got the tone! 
  • Reply 28 of 68
    Great video review but my question is has the mic codec improved?
    libertyforall
  • Reply 29 of 68
    If the case is available separately, why not the AirPods themselves? Everyone with first gen AirPods still have cases that work with the Gen2 Airpods. The Airpods are $50 each to replace so why not a $100 AirPods only option?
    You also can't buy a MacBook or an iPhone without a power adaptor or an iMac without a power cord.  In other words, Apple has never (or at least very very rarely) sold a product without everything needed to make it work.  It was a big deal when they sold the Mac mini without a keyboard and mouse, but that was specifically to attract switchers.  If you already have AirPods and want the new ones, do what millions of people do with their phones and sell your current set on eBay.  I'm sure you can get $60 for them.
    fastasleepStrangeDays
  • Reply 30 of 68
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    AirPods with a charging case that can accommodate silicone covers for the ear buds, so they'll stay in my ears...the don't currently...would get my money.
    fastasleeplibertyforall
  • Reply 31 of 68
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    lkrupp said:
    cpsro said:

Starting off, everything you loved about the original AirPods has been carried over. They are still a pair of true wireless earbuds with great sound and solid battery life.
    I sure don't love the sound. The original AirPods do not sound great.
    The market disagrees with you, much as it disagrees with just about every word you post here. So buy the Samsung ear buds and be happy.
    Well, the market doesn't necessarily disagree about the sound; the fact that they have been selling well means people find the combination of features and sound quality to be worth the price. 

Sound quality and what constitutes good sound quality is subjective, and with any device like this you are going to be paying for the convenience and form factor more than the sound quality.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    So i’ve bought myself a pair this afternoon. Am I the only one so mesmerised by the wireless case who’s just realised they don’t yet have a wireless charger? Come onnnnn AirPower.
    Apple marketing and allure has cost me again. This won’t be the last time im sure. 
    What do you mean there's no wireless charger? You can charge them on any Qi compatible charging mat, and if you bought them expecting to use the AirPower mat without checking to see if the AirPower mat was available, well I guess I don't have much sympathy. The wireless AirPods are fully capable of everything they are advertised to do. Even wireless charging. 
    randominternetpersonronn
  • Reply 33 of 68
    First generation AirPods owner here. Love 'em. Right now just doesn't seem like any MAJOR changes. We'll see.
    They aren’t major changes, they’re iterative improvement. This is how Apple rolls. By the time you upgrade yours, even if years down the road, you’ll appreciate the additions over time. 

Gruber wrote about this almost a decade ago. 

Generally, yes, but not infrequently there is a major improvement between v1 and v2 of a device with subsequent upgrades being more incremental. By most/all accounts, the 1st gen AirPods were a pretty solid product, though, so incremental improvements of v2 should be expected.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Wow, 19 hours of time the case can listen to music! So excited they quote listening time in the case!
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 35 of 68
    evn616evn616 Posts: 28member
    I’m looking forward to the Apple iWax removal tool. Should really improve the sound quality!!
    libertyforall
  • Reply 36 of 68
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    My launch day AirPods barely last 30 minutes and the microphones barely work because gym sweat has damaged them. I have no choice but buy these v1.5s while I wait for the water resistant models.

And of course, these still do not offer AppleCare for obvious reasons.
    libertyforall
  • Reply 37 of 68
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    Soli said:
    1) Wishful thinking, but I'd love to get in-ear options.

2) I wonder why the change from W1 to H1. Does 'H' stand for Health?
    @Soli  No, likely headphone. But with Apple nomenclature who really knows for sure.  
  • Reply 38 of 68
    Wireless charging of the case is a minor upgrade. For me charging airpods without case via iPhone would be a greater upgrade. I take my airpods without its case when I go for a walk. Mine used to work about 4 hours last year but now it works hardly 2 hours. For this situation, I wish airpods themselves would be able to charge via iPhone.
    The case is so small, and so easily pocketable... If going on a 2-4 hour walk I can’t imagine not wanting to have it with me, especially should I wish to take them off and not lose em. In the case they go. 
    I know right. I have the catalyst case for them which has a handy carabiner. So whatever jeans or pants I’m wearing they’re always with me, and less likely to get misplaced.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 39 of 68
    lkrupp said:
    What on earth are you talking about? There is indeed a wireless charging case available now. AirPods without a wireless charging case are $159. AirPods with a wireless charging case are $199. It’s your choice. So take your AirPods back, or cancel your order, and get the AirPods with the wireless charging case instead.
    @lkrupp                                                             You completely misread their comment. They said they don’t have an inductive charger yet. 
  • Reply 40 of 68
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I've had my AirPods for quite awhile now and like them a lot. I've been wanting a second pair for awhile now - one for the home and one in my jacket.

I will say they are great wireless kit, but the don't sound great. Really pretty good, but nowhere near great. Sound is subjective, but I find it hard to believe that anybody with an ear for detail (no, not audiophile 'golden ears') and likes music would call the audio quality 'great'. There are a lot of people for whom good enough is great. If that's how someone feels, fine by me.

Recently listening to my corded (sigh) Shure 530s they sound incredible. Starting with the fact they don't seal the ear canal, the AirPods don't come close. But I won't use the Shures out and about. As daily drivers (lol) my AirPods sound good.

I'm under the impression that though they could be had today, the AP2s can't be used until you upgrade your OS/iOS/watchOS accordingly via the current beta or soon to be released .2 General update. Anybody have any experience to the contrary?

A friend got his AirPods a few days ago, loves them, and may be within the 14 day return period. I wonder if Apple will let him exchange them. Unopened, no problem.