Video: Everything you need to know about the new AirPods before you buy

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    paulcons said:
    Wow, 19 hours of time the case can listen to music! So excited they quote listening time in the case!
    Hey, if you personally can’t figure out why it might be interesting to know how much listening time you get without having to bring along a charger, don’t blame Apple. 
    KBChicagoStrangeDaysronn
  • Reply 42 of 68
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    lkrupp said:
    cpsro said:

Starting off, everything you loved about the original AirPods has been carried over. They are still a pair of true wireless earbuds with great sound and solid battery life.
    I sure don't love the sound. The original AirPods do not sound great.
    The market disagrees with you, much as it disagrees with just about every word you post here. So buy the Samsung ear buds and be happy.
    BeatsX beat AirPods by a country mile.  “You can’t handle the truth.”
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 43 of 68
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    cpsro said:

Starting off, everything you loved about the original AirPods has been carried over. They are still a pair of true wireless earbuds with great sound and solid battery life.
    They can never compete with big cans, but for ultra portable, super convenient pods, they sound great. Perfect for the gym, walks, work calls, and streaming. It’s fine.
    BeatsX sound so much better AirPods! And not because they’re big... they’re smaller.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    AniluAnilu Posts: 4member
    Looking forward to getting some!
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 45 of 68
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 521member
    schlack said:
    AirPods with a charging case that can accommodate silicone covers for the ear buds, so they'll stay in my ears...the don't currently...would get my money.
    I did see a YouTube video by TechSmartt https://youtu.be/LWoUpic7oso where he had what looked like little bikini bottoms for them. They’re not thick so fit in the case fine but they help keep the ‘Pods in your ears. 
  • Reply 46 of 68
    n2itivguyn2itivguy Posts: 103member
    cpsro said:
    cpsro said:

They can never compete with big cans, but for ultra portable, super convenient pods, they sound great. Perfect for the gym, walks, work calls, and streaming. It’s fine.
    BeatsX sound so much better AirPods! And not because they’re big... they’re smaller.
    Interesting. I have both and find the BeatsX sound too “tinny” for the treble. I much prefer the sound from the AirPods. To me, the AirPods sound more full, crisp without reverb. Quite interesting hearing others’ thoughts and preferences. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 48 of 68
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    MisterKit said:
    It’s interesting that Apple is tweaking the latency specs. I don’t know if wireless can in theory ever match the too small to perceive latency of wired headphones/speakers. This is the primary deficiency of devices lacking physical analog ports. It is not just a convenience. It is critical when working on audio in real time.
    Absolutely.  Latancy can be eliminated by some clever tech, though not sure if anyone has done this.  The connected device could perform a round trip sample to determine latency, then offset the audio a bit forward in time relative to the video to account for it.  I bet you could get very close to perfect.  
  • Reply 49 of 68
    eightzero said:
    I've never been able to use Apple's earbuds. They don't fit, always feel clumsy. I applaud these efforts, and for those they work for, great. 
    Try searching for:
    airpod grips
  • Reply 50 of 68
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    Hats off to Samsung for acknowledging that not everybody has the same size earholes and for providing different sized buds and a case that can accommodate them. My AirPods wiggle in my ears when I walk and fall out when I run. I had hoped that Apple would address this but I guess not. 
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 51 of 68
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    MplsP said:
    First generation AirPods owner here. Love 'em. Right now just doesn't seem like any MAJOR changes. We'll see.
    They aren’t major changes, they’re iterative improvement. This is how Apple rolls. By the time you upgrade yours, even if years down the road, you’ll appreciate the additions over time. 

Gruber wrote about this almost a decade ago. 

Generally, yes, but not infrequently there is a major improvement between v1 and v2 of a device with subsequent upgrades being more incremental. By most/all accounts, the 1st gen AirPods were a pretty solid product, though, so incremental improvements of v2 should be expected.
    And incremental improvements we have. 
  • Reply 52 of 68

Appleish said:
    My launch day AirPods barely last 30 minutes and the microphones barely work because gym sweat has damaged them. I have no choice but buy these v1.5s while I wait for the water resistant models.

And of course, these still do not offer AppleCare for obvious reasons.
    I likewise have launch day APs, 3-4 gym days a week, 1.5-2 hours a session. No sweat damage. Other people report washing them in the machine by accident without issue. Videos of them water tank tested.

AppleCare won’t cover battery depletion. 
  • Reply 53 of 68
    cpsro said:
    cpsro said:

They’re also a different style bud, sealing in the ear, which these aren’t, and IMO less convenient than APs, which is a big part of buying APs. Good thing Apple makes both and you have choices. 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 54 of 68

wlym said:
    Hats off to Samsung for acknowledging that not everybody has the same size earholes and for providing different sized buds and a case that can accommodate them. My AirPods wiggle in my ears when I walk and fall out when I run. I had hoped that Apple would address this but I guess not. 
    Humans have differently sized ear holes, what’s to address? APs are designed for the mass market and for most people they work fine. That they don’t for every single person is fine. Same with all sorts of products involving our bodies. Have you considered ear hole corrective surgery?
  • Reply 55 of 68
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 492member
    MisterKit said:
    It’s interesting that Apple is tweaking the latency specs. I don’t know if wireless can in theory ever match the too small to perceive latency of wired headphones/speakers. This is the primary deficiency of devices lacking physical analog ports. It is not just a convenience. It is critical when working on audio in real time.
    Absolutely.  Latancy can be eliminated by some clever tech, though not sure if anyone has done this.  The connected device could perform a round trip sample to determine latency, then offset the audio a bit forward in time relative to the video to account for it.  I bet you could get very close to perfect.  
    This could work for proper playback. The challenge would be to synchronize with real time input. In this case buffering would not work. The A7 mini 2 has the horsepower to play real-time MIDI input soft synths with timing as tight as any current hardware synth when directly monitored from the analog output.. Try playing a GarageBand touch instrument over Bluetooth. At present it requires either the built in analog output or a dedicated interface for proper monitoring.
    n2itivguysphericfastasleep
  • Reply 56 of 68
    MplsP said:
    Great little video that, good work. 
    So i’ve bought myself a pair this afternoon. Am I the only one so mesmerised by the wireless case who’s just realised they don’t yet have a wireless charger? Come onnnnn AirPower.
    Apple marketing and allure has cost me again. This won’t be the last time im sure. 
    What do you mean there's no wireless charger? You can charge them on any Qi compatible charging mat, and if you bought them expecting to use the AirPower mat without checking to see if the AirPower mat was available, well I guess I don't have much sympathy. The wireless AirPods are fully capable of everything they are advertised to do. Even wireless charging. 

I took @hailthehamster's comments as rueful reflection, not "Apple made me buy something I can't use!" bitchery.  He seems to understand who's at "fault" for his issue. :)

Much can be lost in written conversations, so I could be wrong.

And I originally read your user name as "battlehamster" and could only bow my head in awe at the metal.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 57 of 68
    MisterKit said:
    It seems unlikely to me that anyone who actually requires no/low latency will choose wireless anyway.  I use wireless when I'm doing yard work or at the gym.  Latency doesn't matter a whit there.  When I'm playing a competitive game, I use wired everything, including controllers.
  • Reply 58 of 68

wlym said:
    Humans have differently sized ear holes, what’s to address? APs are designed for the mass market and for most people they work fine. That they don’t for every single person is fine. Same with all sorts of products involving our bodies. Have you considered ear hole corrective surgery?
    Yes, you grew your ears wrong, you should correct that.  Immediately.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    macgui said:
    I've had my AirPods for quite awhile now and like them a lot. I've been wanting a second pair for awhile now - one for the home and one in my jacket.

I will say they are great wireless kit, but the don't sound great. Really pretty good, but nowhere near great. Sound is subjective, but I find it hard to believe that anybody with an ear for detail (no, not audiophile 'golden ears') and likes music would call the audio quality 'great'. There are a lot of people for whom good enough is great. If that's how someone feels, fine by me.

Recently listening to my corded (sigh) Shure 530s they sound incredible. Starting with the fact they don't seal the ear canal, the AirPods don't come close. But I won't use the Shures out and about. As daily drivers (lol) my AirPods sound good.

I'm under the impression that though they could be had today, the AP2s can't be used until you upgrade your OS/iOS/watchOS accordingly via the current beta or soon to be released .2 General update. Anybody have any experience to the contrary?

A friend got his AirPods a few days ago, loves them, and may be within the 14 day return period. I wonder if Apple will let him exchange them. Unopened, no problem.
    I’d assume that “530s” you have is at least 400 USD, that’s not a fair comparison.

Plus the limitations of Bluetooth.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    MisterKit said:
    That's not "eliminating latency", that's compensating for latency by delaying other streams for proper synchronisation. 

Bluetooth is at this point not an option for anything that actually requires low-latency operation (like any kind of live music application). If you're playing virtual instruments, for example, or running your instruments through live effects, there is no way to shif any signal to accommodate any signal processing delay. Anything more than six or seven milliseconds of latency makes a decent performance impossible. 
    fastasleep