Apple sets March 27 deadline for developers to support iPhone XS Max, 2018 iPad Pro

Posted:
in iOS edited September 2019
Starting March 27, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch developers will be required to use the latest iOS and watchOS SDKs, as well as support Apple's biggest mobile displays in all new apps and updates submitted to the App Store.

12.9-inch 2018 iPad Pro

New and updated iOS apps must now make use of the iOS 12.1 SDK or later, Apple said, and support the displays on the 6.5-inch iPhone XS Max and third-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro. Appropriate
screenshots will be required for the App Store.

watchOS developers will need to make use of the watchOS 5.1 SDK or later, and support the Apple Watch Series 4. That accessory has a larger screen than all previous Watch models, extending edge-to-edge and enabling more onscreen complications.

The announcement is significant in that it may force more developers to support Apple's latest hardware if they haven't already updated. At the same time it risks cutting off updates for some apps if developers feel it's not worth the time and resources.

Apple is already on the verge of releasing iOS 12.2 and watchOS 5.2, which should go live by next week in time for second-generation AirPods and Apple's March 25 press event. That gathering should introduce Apple News Magazines subscriptions and a long-anticipated video streaming service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lewchenkolewchenko Posts: 122member
    fantastic news. 

maybe the New Scientist app will finally be updated to support my iPad pro’s screen size. But no mention of supporting the 11” pro aspect ratio/resolution? 

Or did I miss that ?

edited March 2019
  • Reply 2 of 5
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    This is a great way for Apple to clear the store of abandonware, which is sorely needed.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    chasm said:
    This is a great way for Apple to clear the store of abandonware, which is sorely needed.
    new apps and updates submitted to the App Store
    this won't affect apps already in the app store.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    lewchenko said:
    fantastic news. 
    maybe the New Scientist app will finally be updated to support my iPad pro’s screen size. But no mention of supporting the 11” pro aspect ratio/resolution? 
    Or did I miss that ?

If your app is universal or if your app is an iPad app then the app needs to correctly support the iPad Pro's screen size and the home indicator in order to submit any app updates to the store.

This isn't a requirement that all iPhone apps now suddenly need to be universal and/or support iPads, nor is it an indication that any apps already on the store that fail to do so are about to be purged.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Hope this gest MS to update the Remote Desktop app soon; one app that needs every pixel available, sad it hasn’t been fixed yet.

I get these “purge” type things... but it does kill some apps I really love and use regularly.