Video: Everything you need to know about the new AirPods before you buy

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    MisterKit said:
    It’s interesting that Apple is tweaking the latency specs. I don’t know if wireless can in theory ever match the too small to perceive latency of wired headphones/speakers. This is the primary deficiency of devices lacking physical analog ports. It is not just a convenience. It is critical when working on audio in real time.
    Absolutely.  Latancy can be eliminated by some clever tech, though not sure if anyone has done this.  The connected device could perform a round trip sample to determine latency, then offset the audio a bit forward in time relative to the video to account for it.  I bet you could get very close to perfect.  
    It seems unlikely to me that anyone who actually requires no/low latency will choose wireless anyway.  I use wireless when I'm doing yard work or at the gym.  Latency doesn't matter a whit there.  When I'm playing a competitive game, I use wired everything, including controllers.
    Stage musicians have been using wireless in-ear systems for monitor playback, and wireless transmitters for guitars and other mobile instruments, as well as hand mics, for many years. 

It's just that those transmitters — both back in the analog days, and modern digital systems — run on zero-latency protocols. 

Bluetooth has latency that makes it unusable for those scenarios. 
    n2itivguyfastasleep
  • Reply 62 of 68
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

wlym said:
    Hats off to Samsung for acknowledging that not everybody has the same size earholes and for providing different sized buds and a case that can accommodate them. My AirPods wiggle in my ears when I walk and fall out when I run. I had hoped that Apple would address this but I guess not. 
    Humans have differently sized ear holes, what’s to address? APs are designed for the mass market and for most people they work fine. That they don’t for every single person is fine. Same with all sorts of products involving our bodies. Have you considered ear hole corrective surgery?
    Yes, you grew your ears wrong, you should correct that.  Immediately.
    You can, of course, get 3rd party "adapters" for your ears:
    https://www.amazon.com/AhaStyle-Compatible-AirPods-EarPods-Enhancement/dp/B07DHCZ1TR/

• Reply 63 of 68
    Wireless charging of the case is a minor upgrade. For me charging airpods without case via iPhone would be a greater upgrade. I take my airpods without its case when I go for a walk. Mine used to work about 4 hours last year but now it works hardly 2 hours. For this situation, I wish airpods themselves would be able to charge via iPhone.
    The case is so small, and so easily pocketable... If going on a 2-4 hour walk I can’t imagine not wanting to have it with me, especially should I wish to take them off and not lose em. In the case they go. 
    If you must know, I wear my shorts when I go for a walk and walk about 3-5 hours. I carry my iPhone X and ID card only. It is annoying for me to carry AirPods case. Wouldn't it a greater upgrade to be able to charge your AirPods with iPhone. I don't think wireless charging for the case is a bigger need than being able to charge AirPods with iPhone itself.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    Wireless charging of the case is a minor upgrade. For me charging airpods without case via iPhone would be a greater upgrade. I take my airpods without its case when I go for a walk. Mine used to work about 4 hours last year but now it works hardly 2 hours. For this situation, I wish airpods themselves would be able to charge via iPhone.
    The case is so small, and so easily pocketable... If going on a 2-4 hour walk I can’t imagine not wanting to have it with me, especially should I wish to take them off and not lose em. In the case they go. 
    If you must know, I wear my shorts when I go for a walk and walk about 3-5 hours. I carry my iPhone X and ID card only. It is annoying for me to carry AirPods case. Wouldn't it a greater upgrade to be able to charge your AirPods with iPhone. I don't think wireless charging for the case is a bigger need than being able to charge AirPods with iPhone itself.
    And what sort of magic technology are you inventing to do that? There's a reason the charging coils are located in the battery case and not the AirPods themselves. 
  • Reply 65 of 68

wlym said:
    Hats off to Samsung for acknowledging that not everybody has the same size earholes and for providing different sized buds and a case that can accommodate them. My AirPods wiggle in my ears when I walk and fall out when I run. I had hoped that Apple would address this but I guess not. 
    Humans have differently sized ear holes, what’s to address? APs are designed for the mass market and for most people they work fine. That they don’t for every single person is fine. Same with all sorts of products involving our bodies. Have you considered ear hole corrective surgery?
    https://www.amazon.com/AhaStyle-Compatible-AirPods-EarPods-Enhancement/dp/B07DHCZ1TR/

Yes, I'm aware of that, and some of the other "hacks" I've seen.  I just wish it was Apple who provided those types of things, along with case compatibility, which many of the third party options do not have.

Do I think people have the right to demand that Apple implement such adapters?  Of course not.  Do I believe that people have the right to complain about Apple not including some way, even as an option, to allow people outside the "normal" range of ear shapes to use their product when such ways seem easy to build and inexpensive?  Abso-bloody-lutely.

And it's not as if we're talking about the one in a million failure of Face ID, or even the one in fifty thousand rate for Touch ID.  I know at least a dozen coworkers and friends who can't use them, and at least one of those people is even worse off than me.  I can wear them sitting still, she can't.  Mine would last between 10 and 15 minutes, hers would basically last thirty seconds or so before just dropping out, even without head movement.  Is that a scientific number?  No, it's completely anecdotal.  Given the number of discussions I've seen from others though, I can't stop believing that Apple is leaving money on the table.

edited March 2019
  • Reply 66 of 68
    tzm41tzm41 Posts: 95member
    HenryDJP said:
    bsimpsen said:
    Soli said:
    1) Wishful thinking, but I'd love to get in-ear options.

2) I wonder why the change from W1 to H1. Does 'H' stand for Health?
    Headphones?
    Then what does the W stand for?
    Wearables?
  • Reply 67 of 68

wlym said:

Yes, I'm aware of that, and some of the other "hacks" I've seen.  I just wish it was Apple who provided those types of things, along with case compatibility, which many of the third party options do not have.

Do I think people have the right to demand that Apple implement such adapters?  Of course not.  Do I believe that people have the right to complain about Apple not including some way, even as an option, to allow people outside the "normal" range of ear shapes to use their product when such ways seem easy to build and inexpensive?  Abso-bloody-lutely.

And it's not as if we're talking about the one in a million failure of Face ID, or even the one in fifty thousand rate for Touch ID.  I know at least a dozen coworkers and friends who can't use them, and at least one of those people is even worse off than me.  I can wear them sitting still, she can't.  Mine would last between 10 and 15 minutes, hers would basically last thirty seconds or so before just dropping out, even without head movement.  Is that a scientific number?  No, it's completely anecdotal.  Given the number of discussions I've seen from others though, I can't stop believing that Apple is leaving money on the table.

I understand, but they’re kinda been leaving the niche case stuff like this to 3rd parties for like, forever, and by which they’ve been pretty well served. They also offer other styles of earphones. I almost went for Beats X as I prefer the silicone in-ear type headphones. They’ll continue to update those too, probably. Also, they have a great record for accessibility so I wouldn’t imagine they’re unaware that some of these things made for most people don’t work for some people. 
  • Reply 68 of 68

I understand, but they’re kinda been leaving the niche case stuff like this to 3rd parties for like, forever, and by which they’ve been pretty well served. They also offer other styles of earphones. I almost went for Beats X as I prefer the silicone in-ear type headphones. They’ll continue to update those too, probably. Also, they have a great record for accessibility so I wouldn’t imagine they’re unaware that some of these things made for most people don’t work for some people. 
    Yeah, but I want Apple to do it, with all of Apple's attention to detail.  :)

As for anything Beats, I've been, shall we say, less than astounded by the quality of the brand.