Vox reportedly joins Apple news service, other Vox Media properties not available at launc...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2019
A report on Thursday claims Apple has signed explanatory news website Vox to an upcoming subscription service expected to debut alongside a video streaming solution at a special event on March 25.

Apple NewsApple News displays special midterm elections section in 2018.

Citing a person familiar with the matter, Bloomberg reports Vox Media's marquee Vox publication will be available through Apple's news subscription service when the product launches.

Other Vox Media outlets, including The Verge, Recode, SBNation, Eater and Polygon, are not included as part of the initial deal, the report said. It is unclear when those publications will join Apple's service, if at all.

While Vox does not currently run a subscription platform, CEO Jim Bankoff at the 2019 South by Southwest conference in March said a for-pay, membership-based model is in the works. The company's reported deal with Apple could be designed to test the waters prior to a formal launch.

Apple is widely expected to reveal a news and magazine subscription service at a special event on Monday.

The iPhone maker is said to be leveraging its massive installed user base in ongoing negotiations with publishers, but major outlets are reportedly reluctant to join the initiative due to steep revenue sharing terms and restrictive data sharing policies. Apple is supposedly demanding a 50 percent cut of revenue on a subscription rate of $10 per month, with remaining funds evenly doled out to participating publications.

Along with Vox, Apple has reportedly landed The Wall Street Journal, but other publications are less agreeable to contract conditions. In an interview with Reuters published today, The New York Times CEO Mark Thompson intimated his company declined to join Apple's platform, and argued other publications should do the same.

AppleInsider will be covering Apple's special media event live from Cupertino on March 25 starting at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Vox and “news” should never be in the same sentence.  
    SpamSandwichredraider11ZRysercalisurfboymonstrosity
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Vox.  A leftest rag.  I’m hating apples new direction. 
    SpamSandwichredraider11monstrositysdw2001
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Vox means I'll be saving my money. Fantastic!
    redraider11
  • Reply 4 of 17
    xmhillxxmhillx Posts: 112member
    Ew. Gross...
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 5 of 17
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    aar123mcl said:

Huh? You wouldn't subscribe to Apple News, because they may offer up a "leftist" rag? You do realize there will probably be a lot of other stuff you might like, including a bunch of conservative rags that share your point of view?

Wow. Just, wow.
    napoleon_phoneapartchasm
  • Reply 6 of 17
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    mjtomlin said:
    aar123mcl said:

Huh? You wouldn't subscribe to Apple News, because they may offer up a "leftist" rag? You do realize there will probably be a lot of other stuff you might like, including a bunch of conservative rags that share your point of view?

Wow. Just, wow.
    Well, you know; since it won't cater to only my POV, because nothing else matters, it must be crap, entirely. Give me my echo chamber!
    napoleon_phoneapartchasmtrashman69beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 7 of 17
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    Vox has done some really excellent reporting that I've read and enjoyed, but they also do some "dumbed down" explainers (not all of them, just some) and what I would call "click baity" stuff. I try to read a wide variety of publications (both political and non-political) to keep my perspective in check and stay out of the various echo chambers.

Exclamatory headlines (particularly with words like "destroyed" or "eviscerated" that are not describing actual wars or murders) from any site are off my list, but otherwise I'm generally interested in what people who can make logical arguments eloquently have to say, even if their view/subject is not normally one I'm interested in. I guess I'm one of those rare weirdos who enjoys it when someone is able to share a perspective that I hadn't considered, or change my mind about something, because both are something of a challenge.

PS. Dear meme creators: you know what really helps putting your views/perspective across? Proofreading and editing. Just sayin'.
    dewmebeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 8 of 17
    From where I sit, Microsoft is just as "lefty" as Apple. So good luck switching teams.

Also: "new" direction? You mean the company founded by a couple of dirty hippies? One of whom expanded insurance coverage to domestic partners when he was CEO of NeXT in the 1980s over the objections of its insurance company, and um ... how to put this ... had an unfavourable view of Trump, to put it mildly? Steve Jobs would never have agreed to sit next to that guy on a panel for anything, ever. He didn't even pay shareholders a dividend! I was unaware that treating your employees right was a "leftie" position. I was also unaware that Apple News only carried "leftist" (not "leftest," Einstein) rags. Lemme look on my iPad for a second (the Mac version of News is ... unpolished, let's say).

Nope, The Hill is still there, Foreign Policy, Wall Street Journal, Fox, buncha business magazines (those commie hotbeds of liberalism!), The Economist, Fortune, National Review, The Blaze, Newsmax, Breitbart, Redstate ... and many more. Basically they seem to take anyone who's a) legit, b) un-crazy, and c) wants to publish on Apple news. Sort of like how they run the App Store, and the rest of their business.

Maybe you're just not the right kind of conservative ... or, given your prejudices and preference for your echo chamber, not a real conservative at all.
    mdriftmeyerdewmebeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 9 of 17
    ZRyserZRyser Posts: 40member
    mjtomlin said:
    aar123mcl said:

Wow. Just, wow.
    What do you reckon are the chances of right-leaning media having proportional footprint in Apple News to that of the left-leaning media?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    chasm said:
    From where I sit, Microsoft is just as "lefty" as Apple. So good luck switching teams.

Also: "new" direction? You mean the company founded by a couple of dirty hippies? One of whom expanded insurance coverage to domestic partners when he was CEO of NeXT in the 1980s over the objections of its insurance company, and um ... how to put this ... had an unfavourable view of Trump, to put it mildly? Steve Jobs would never have agreed to sit next to that guy on a panel for anything, ever. He didn't even pay shareholders a dividend! I was unaware that treating your employees right was a "leftie" position. I was also unaware that Apple News only carried "leftist" (not "leftest," Einstein) rags. Lemme look on my iPad for a second (the Mac version of News is ... unpolished, let's say).

Nope, The Hill is still there, Foreign Policy, Wall Street Journal, Fox, buncha business magazines (those commie hotbeds of liberalism!), The Economist, Fortune, National Review, The Blaze, Newsmax, Breitbart, Redstate ... and many more. Basically they seem to take anyone who's a) legit, b) un-crazy, and c) wants to publish on Apple news. Sort of like how they run the App Store, and the rest of their business.

Maybe you're just not the right kind of conservative ... or, given your prejudices and preference for your echo chamber, not a real conservative at all.
    One can only assume these Right Wing Fascist pigs who can't stomach `liberalism' and `science', to the arts, etc., must fantasize that Steven P. Jobs and all of his companies he created were just secret Reagan-esque late Cold War technological marvels only the deep in the bunker xenophobe could make, never mind the man was Syrian American, raised by German refugee parents and as you said decided to study at Reid University where we all know is just a front for Liberty U.

/s

It gets real tiresome how ignorant people in the states have become of Pop Culture and how 99% of it is liberal based, not restrictive, conservative, holier than thou crackpot cooking. Working for Steve at NeXT and Apple was a synergistic approach to tech and application for consumers needs and so much more. From the end user customer to the enterprise space people dependent upon the Information Age were driven to solve problems. Social media rightly put by Lady Gaga, ``is the toilet of the Internet.''

If people cannot challenge their centers and question their world space I truly suspect they await the end for their fabled ``ever after.''

Steve was a Liberal. He despised Reagan and the ideals of Conservatism. Conservatism has never propelled humanity forward. I wonder how this accepted de-facto definition of Conservatism is somehow appealing.

It's nothing but Greed draped in the Cloth.

con·ser·va·tism
    /kənˈsərvədizəm/
    noun
    1. 1. 
      commitment to traditional values and ideas with opposition to change or innovation.
      "proponents of theological conservatism"
    2. 2. 
      the holding of political views that favor free enterprise, private ownership, and socially conservative ideas.
      "a party that espoused conservatism"

chasm
  • Reply 11 of 17
    ZRyser said:
    What do you reckon are the chances of right-leaning media having proportional footprint in Apple News to that of the left-leaning media?
    It's exactly as large as the right-leaning media wants it to be. Apart from violent nutters on either end, pretty much any serious outlet that wants to be on Apple News can be there, and is there as near as i can tell. I'm not aware of much if any "far left" media on Apple News actually, but of course "far left" these days means "critical in any way of some of the things going on under this administration" to some people. There ARE a few sites I'd call "so right-leaning they've done fallen over" on Apple News, but again nothing that advocates violence so maybe my definition of "far" right-leaning needs refinement.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    ZRyserZRyser Posts: 40member
    chasm said:
    ZRyser said:
    It's exactly as large as the right-leaning media wants it to be. Apart from violent nutters on either end, pretty much any serious outlet that wants to be on Apple News can be there, and is there as near as i can tell. I'm not aware of much if any "far left" media on Apple News actually, but of course "far left" these days means "critical in any way of some of the things going on under this administration" to some people. There ARE a few sites I'd call "so right-leaning they've done fallen over" on Apple News, but again nothing that advocates violence so maybe my definition of "far" right-leaning needs refinement.
    Thanks for the reply. I wonder if the updated Apple News and the streaming services would be available for us Euros as well.
    And agreed, ‘do they support/advocate for the use of violence’ is a good distinction for ‘far’ or ‘extreme’ or ‘nutty’.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 13 of 17
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Perhaps Apple will bake an AI-based confirmation bias filter (CBF™) into their Apple News service so the delicate and closed mind readers can be more deeply and protectively shielded from opinions and perspectives that are not their own. /s
  • Reply 14 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mjtomlin said:
    aar123mcl said:

...including a bunch of conservative rags that share your point of view?
    Which ones?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    mjtomlin said:
    aar123mcl said:

Wow. Just, wow.
    90% leftist, 10% non-leftist it's almost guaranteed to be. Even the paltry 10% will be made up of RINO/CINO Globalist nonsense.  
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 16 of 17
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    mjtomlin said:
    aar123mcl said:

...including a bunch of conservative rags that share your point of view?
    Which ones?
    You know, anything vaguely to the right of Stalin ;) 
    A leftists political compass is so out of tune, they probably think The Guardian is conservative.
    SpamSandwich