Apple's AirPower charging mat launching 'in late March,' possibly in large quantities

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    shevshev Posts: 84member

shev said:
    Anything more than $79 and I won’t be buying it me no thinks 
    Bahahha.
    It’s a charger bro  :|
    dewme
  • Reply 22 of 33
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    williamh said:
    Is three months overdue really “long delayed”? I understand that people heard “2018” and were hopeful that it would be Q1 or maybe Q2. However, hoping for early 2018 and not getting early 2018 does not Apple missed a promised time frame. In fact, as has been noted quite often, Apple has been virtually silent about AirPower and we’ve just been running on rumors and speculation.

Bottom line: Apple expected and announced a 2018 launch date and that was missed. If AirPower ships in March of 2019 it’s just a 3 month delay, not that terrible.
    Actually, announcing a product, missing a year-long release target, virtual silence . . . pretty well defines vaporware.  You do understand that the thing was in development before it was announced and not just after?   At least that's how it should have been.  I don't doubt this thing will be released.  What I don't understand is why anyone should care that much.
    What part of your comment disputes that 3 months overdue is (assuming the article is correct and AirPower ships in March) not that long?

Also, I was under the impression that vaporware was a product that was announced but never shipped, not hasn’t shipped yet. This article states that rumors are saying it will ship this month. 
    We are speculating about the release of a product 18 months after it was announced. Sounds good.  Practically fast.  

All vaporware are products that have been announced but “haven’t shipped yet.”  This one will probably ship soon.  It’s a “revolutionary” charging mat. Yay!  
  • Reply 23 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member

williamh said:
    Is three months overdue really “long delayed”? I understand that people heard “2018” and were hopeful that it would be Q1 or maybe Q2. However, hoping for early 2018 and not getting early 2018 does not Apple missed a promised time frame. In fact, as has been noted quite often, Apple has been virtually silent about AirPower and we’ve just been running on rumors and speculation.

Bottom line: Apple expected and announced a 2018 launch date and that was missed. If AirPower ships in March of 2019 it’s just a 3 month delay, not that terrible.
    Actually, announcing a product, missing a year-long release target, virtual silence . . . pretty well defines vaporware.  You do understand that the thing was in development before it was announced and not just after?   At least that's how it should have been.  I don't doubt this thing will be released.  What I don't understand is why anyone should care that much.
    Wait, what was the release target? They only said 2018. Like he said, if they release it next week it's 3 mos past the target. Not life-ruining.
    Apple typically announces hardware when it’s almost ready to ship, so the delay with the AirPower charger is unusual for them, but I totally agree - they ‘next year’ in late 2017, so at this point they are 3 months late. And as others have said, it’s a charger - it’s not like you can’t charge your phone or watch or AirPods without it, and there are plenty of other charging mats available if you want to do it wirelessly. I would far rather Apple release a quality product than one that was rushed to market. Would people have been happier if they released it in September of 2018 and it didn’t work well?

As for price, you can pay anywhere from $25 for a cheap, low power single device mat to $160 for a nice stand that holds both your watch and iphone. I wouldn’t be surprised to see $200. I’d never pay that, but if it functions as advertised it has new technology making it more flexible and functional, so I’m sure they would sell at that price. 
  • Reply 24 of 33
    williamh said:
    williamh said:

What part of your comment disputes that 3 months overdue is (assuming the article is correct and AirPower ships in March) not that long?

Also, I was under the impression that vaporware was a product that was announced but never shipped, not hasn’t shipped yet. This article states that rumors are saying it will ship this month. 
    We are speculating about the release of a product 18 months after it was announced. Sounds good.  Practically fast.  

All vaporware are products that have been announced but “haven’t shipped yet.”  This one will probably ship soon.  It’s a “revolutionary” charging mat. Yay!  
    I have to disagree. The next Mac Pro was also announced in 2017 with a ship date in 2019, if I recall correctly. I wouldn’t call that vaporware. By your definition, when Apple announces new iPhones this year with a ship date the following week then for that week until it ships it’s vaporware. I don’t believe that’s how most people view the term “vaporware”.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    williamh said:
    williamh said:

I have to disagree. The next Mac Pro was also announced in 2017 with a ship date in 2019, if I recall correctly. I wouldn’t call that vaporware. By your definition, when Apple announces new iPhones this year with a ship date the following week then for that week until it ships it’s vaporware. I don’t believe that’s how most people view the term “vaporware”.
    Well no, I was actually clarifying your definition of vaporware.  Anything that "never shipped" (including, until something changes, AirPower) could be a product that has "not shipped yet."   If Apple announces new iPhones this year with a ship date of NEXT year, and then they don't ship them the following year or say hardly a word about it, then I might call it vaporware. The Mac Pro will probably not turn out to be vaporware.

In any case, I congratulate you on your hearty defense of Apple.  Some people might think that Apple ought to be making the finishing touches to v2 of AirPower  After all, they crank out a new set of iPhones every year.  I'm sure this charging pad will be just magical.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    felix01 said:
    So, whaddya think? $299? $399?
    Well if it's that much, I won't be buying one. Actually, I probably won't even buy one for $199, plugging my phone in the charger cord works just fine for me. Same for the watch charger. Might make things a bit more orderly around my nightstand but not $199 worth.
    For me 199 would be worth it, it would be ideal for my travel bag - one cable, easy charging of everything at bedtime. When not traveling it will reside in the kitchen where we often toss down our devices already. 
  • Reply 27 of 33
    shev said:

shev said:
    Anything more than $79 and I won’t be buying it me no thinks 
    Bahahha.
    It’s a charger bro  :|
    Yes, so easy and convienent that there simply aren’t any others on the market that can do three devices let alone not requiring precise positioning. 
  • Reply 28 of 33

williamh said:
    williamh said:

You’re nuts. They said 2018. The AW came out in the last month possible for their preannouncement of that. So if it comes out a few months after 2018 that simply isn’t a big deal. Especially considering there are literally no other charging mats that can do three devices placed lazily. 

Where are you quoting “revolutionary” from? Because I’m inclined to believe they didn’t say that, and you made it up instead. Link me to the video time position, please. I’ll wait. 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 29 of 33
    williamh said:
    williamh said:
    williamh said:

In any case, I congratulate you on your hearty defense of Apple.  Some people might think that Apple ought to be making the finishing touches to v2 of AirPower  After all, they crank out a new set of iPhones every year.  I'm sure this charging pad will be just magical.
    Welcome hater! 

However, as is typical, you are misguided. This is not a defense of Apple, but a defense of reason. 3 months after a thing is not very long. Especially for an entirely new product, one which none of their competitors are doing either, so we can conclude it’s difficult. iPhones come out every year and are continually under development. They don’t design and build them from scratch every 12 months. 

I’m sure the charging pad will be excellent. Perfect for travel, and convenient elsewhere. My SO and I already toss our devices onto the counter when we get home. Now they’ll be charging.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Kuyangkoh said:
    So, whaddya think? $299? $399? It would be extraordinary if this retailed for $199. 
    I was told by reliable sources that it will cough up to $499, ouches.....
    That’s strange, my reliable sources told me it would be $999. 
  • Reply 31 of 33
    I think everyone that says things like “there are plenty of ways to charge” don’t understand the product or why people are anticipating it. 

That isnt a relavent comment at all. AirPower is not “a charger”. It is a completely unique new device, that adds a whole new level of convenience, organization, and overall zen to your nightstand. I would pay for that, as well as a lot of other people. There is of course a limit to what I would pay for that, but that limit is in no way informed or inspired by the prices of cheap shit chargers on Amazon. 
  • Reply 32 of 33
    That isnt a relavent comment at all. AirPower is not “a charger”. It is a completely unique new device, that adds a whole new level of convenience, organization, and overall zen to your nightstand. I would pay for that, as well as a lot of other people. There is of course a limit to what I would pay for that, but that limit is in no way informed or inspired by the prices of cheap shit chargers on Amazon. 
    I frequently fall asleep later than my wife and I try to be quiet so as not to disturb her. But I always make noise putting my watch on its charger and my phone into its dock in the dark. Just having one place to put both without fumbling around makes AirPower attractive to me. 

And, I agree, just because there are low cost wireless chargers available doesn’t mean Apple’s new device needs to compete with them, it will sort of be in a category of its own. 
  • Reply 33 of 33

williamh said:
    williamh said:

You’re nuts. They said 2018. The AW came out in the last month possible for their preannouncement of that. So if it comes out a few months after 2018 that simply isn’t a big deal. Especially considering there are literally no other charging mats that can do three devices placed lazily. 

Where are you quoting “revolutionary” from? Because I’m inclined to believe they didn’t say that, and you made it up instead. Link me to the video time position, please. I’ll wait. 
    You'll have to wait until AirPower is released to hear them say "revolutionary."  It should be in the release video.  Yes, I made it up.  Those are sarcastic quotes.  But it's typical marketing hyperbole.  So, I don't know how long you'll have to wait.  Maybe not long now.  AirPower is almost on schedule.