Apple's 2018 iPad Pro to reportedly support Logitech Crayon with next iOS 12 update

Posted:
in iPad
Apple's next iOS 12 update, expected to debut next week, will reportedly deliver iPad Pro support for Logitech's popular Crayon, making the tilt-sensitive stylus the only device to offer universal compatibility across the sprawling iPad lineup.

Logitech Crayon

Apple recently informed The Verge's Nilay Patel of the added support, saying Logitech's device will work with the latest iPad Pro models released late last year.

"They told me that when the next version of iOS 12 comes out, presumably next week to support the streaming service, the Logitech Crayon will work with the iPad Pros," Patel said during an episode of the Vergecast podcast. "I don't know who's buying a $1,500 iPad Pro and a Logitech Crayon."

Whether Crayon will also offer support for first-generation iPad Pro models is unclear, but AppleInsider has confirmed the stylus does not work with a 2017 12.9-inch iPad Pro running Apple's most recent iOS 12.2 beta.

Support for iPad Pro would make Crayon the only feature-rich stylus compatible with Apple's contemporary slate lineup. Apple confirmed Crayon support for the third-generation iPad Air and fifth-generation iPad mini earlier this week.

Apple's own second-generation Apple Pencil incorporates features not supported by 2018 iPad Pro models, not the least of which being a switch from Lightning to inductive charging. Unlike the first-generation Apple Pencil, which plugs into an iPad's Lightning port to charge, Crayon sports a female Lightning receptacle, meaning it can be juiced up with a basic Lightning cable.

Logitech's Crayon debuted alongside Apple's budget-minded 9.7-inch iPad in 2018 as an economical alternative to Apple Pencil. Positioned to serve the education market, Crayon sales were initially restricted to schools before wide availability six months later.

Crayon boasts many of the same features as Apple Pencil, including easy connectivity, tilt sensitivity and palm rejection technology, but does not support pressure sensitive input and tap gestures.

Apple is expected to release iOS 12.2 next week with integrations for a news subscription service anticipated for unveiling at a special event on Monday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    The second generation Apple Pencil is supported by the 2018 Apple Pro 11” and 12.9” iPad models. Those are the only models supporting it. 
  • Reply 2 of 10
    It’s odd that Apple would make a software change that makes a third party accessory more appealing than their own.
    rogifan_new
  • Reply 3 of 10
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    MisterKit said:
    It’s odd that Apple would make a software change that makes a third party accessory more appealing than their own.
    The crayon is aimed at educational buyers. Perhaps some schools are considering the 2018 Pro and asked for support. 
  • Reply 4 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Further evidence that there's no reason the Apple Pencil 1 couldn't be used with newer iPads.
    MisterKit
  • Reply 5 of 10
    MplsP said:
    Further evidence that there's no reason the Apple Pencil 1 couldn't be used with newer iPads.
    How would it be paired? Is there a USB-C to Lightning adapter that would work for Pencil pairing?

Apple's own second-generation Apple Pencil incorporates features not supported by 2018 iPad Pro models, not the least of which being a switch from Lightning to inductive charging. Unlike the first-generation Apple Pencil, which plugs into an iPad's Lightning port to charge, Crayon sports a female Lightning receptacle, meaning it can be juiced up with a basic Lightning cable. 
    Am I missing something? I thought the second-generation Apple Pencil debuted alongside the 2018 iPad Pros, but it has features that are not supported by those same iPads? What are the unsupported features? And how does that make any sense when the 2018 iPad Pros are the only iPads that work with the second-generation Apple Pencil?
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 6 of 10
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    MplsP said:
    Exactly. The Crayon was a clone of Pencil 1 minus a few features.

Apple is going to get the sale whether a customer buys Pencil 1 or Pencil 2. At the least the newer Pros should be backward compatible with Pencil 1 for people who already have one or want to purchase a single pencil for all their pencil compatible iPads.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    MplsP said:
    How would it be paired? Is there a USB-C to Lightning adapter that would work for Pencil 
    Use a dongle. You only have to pair it once, and Apple has demonstrated that it has no qualms about dongles. I readily agree that it’s not as convenient, but it still beats shelling out another $100 when you already have a perfectly functional pencil. 

• Reply 8 of 10
    AppleInsider said:
    Am I missing something? I thought the second-generation Apple Pencil debuted alongside the 2018 iPad Pros, but it has features that are not supported by those same iPads? What are the unsupported features? And how does that make any sense when the 2018 iPad Pros are the only iPads that work with the second-generation Apple Pencil?
    You're correct. 2018 iPad Pro models support all the Apple Pencil 2 features, so that's an editorial error. I guess the "sprawling lineup" has confused AI.  ;)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    rwrgeorwrgeo Posts: 12member
    Really disappointed if this doesn’t open up compatibility for the original 9.7 inch pro. To my mind both apple pencil 2 and the crayon are better designs than the first pencil, so would like at least one of these to be available to me. 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    ShawnCShawnC Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    This is not true. Crayon is not working with iPad Pro 2018 latest models