Next iPhone rumored to adopt 'Wireless PowerShare' tech for powering other devices, fast U...

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2020
Rumors out of Apple's Asian supply chain claim the next iPhone will provide compatibility with Integrated Device Technology's "Wireless PowerShare," enabling the ability to wirelessly charge devices like Apple Watch and AirPods.

iPhone XI Render

Citing a supply chain source, Mac Otakara reports Apple's next iPhone will take a page out of Samsung's playbook with the introduction of IDT's Wireless PowerShare technology.

The Qi-based wireless charging solution debuted in 2015 as a method by which mobile devices can wirelessly charge one another. Samsung became the first major smartphone manufacturer to build the tech into a shipping handset with this year's Galaxy S10 series.

With Wireless PowerShare, a next-generation iPhone would be capable of charging Apple's new Wireless Charging Case for AirPods. Sources also claim the technology might be adapted to support Apple Watch, which uses a proprietary wireless charging protocol.

Today's report echoes predictions from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who in a research note in February said Apple's 2019 iPhone will ship with a "bilateral" wireless charging feature.

The China supply chain source also said the next-generation iPhone will integrate faster wired charging via a USB-C to Lightning cable and supporting internal hardware. As noted by Mac Otakara, the new C94 Lightning connector specification enables 18W fast charging over USB PD, or USB Power Delivery.

Resurfacing rumors from last year, the source suggests Apple might include an 18W charger with this year's flagship iPhones. Apple's current iPhone XS and XR series ship with a standard 5W USB power adapter in the box.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    If Apple would implement this in their laptops, that would be interesting too.  Better, I dare say, than AirPower. 
    bageljoeywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    I'm not quite understanding the appeal of wireless powershare as it relates to phones. So you want me to drain my phone to charge your phone? Um ... I just don't see a lot of people in the US going for this, even among couples, when battery packs are small and cheap and many are good for multiple charges.

It reminds me of an early iPhone app-gimmick where you and another person with the same app could "bump" iPhones to transfer data across. It worked, but nobody really used it after like two or three times.
    edited March 2019 vukasikagilly33dhawkins541watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    williamh said:
    If Apple would implement this in their laptops, that would be interesting too.  Better, I dare say, than AirPower. 
    Not, because they’re completely different use cases. As a traveler not traveling with a MBP, the AirPower in my bag is light and easy. I’d hate to have to replace with a MBP. 
    n2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Citing a supply chain source, Mac Otakara reports Apple's next iPhone will take a page out of Samsung's playbook with the introduction of IDT's Wireless PowerShare technology. 
    You mean taking a page out of the Apple playbook like the way the Apple Pencil 2 works with an iPad Pro?

On on the issue of wirelessly charging airpods from your phone, that would only be really useful if it could be done without needing the case. Just put the individual airpods on the phone. The Samsung solution where they need to be in the case is a stupid solution to me. The point of using the wireless charging would be those times you not have taken the case with you. For emergencies.
    edited March 2019 mwhitejcs2305Anilu_777cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 25
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    williamh said:
    Not, because they’re completely different use cases. As a traveler not traveling with a MBP, the AirPower in my bag is light and easy. I’d hate to have to replace with a MBP. 
    I think the use would be that you could just take your laptop and not need to take a charging mat, too. I.e. get dual use out of your laptop, not use the laptop instead of the charging mat. 

Ive done this in the past when traveling - I bring my laptop and a cable and plug my iPhone into my laptop. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member

entropys said:
    Citing a supply chain source, Mac Otakara reports Apple's next iPhone will take a page out of Samsung's playbook with the introduction of IDT's Wireless PowerShare technology. 
    You mean taking a page out of the Apple playbook like the way the Apple Pencil 2 works with an iPad Pro?

On on the issue of wirelessly charging airpods from your phone, that would only be really useful if it could be done without needing the case. Just put the individual airpods on the phone. The Samsung solution where they need to be in the case is a stupid solution to me. The point of using the wireless charging would be those times you not have taken the case with you. For emergencies.
    I agree - wireless power share seems like a gimmick that would rarely if ever be actually useful. 
    Anilu_777dhawkins541watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Yes.. I can finally use the future iPhone to charge the airPods
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Stop using that terrible mock-up, this is NOT the next iPhone!!
    vukasikawatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    chasm said:
    I'm not quite understanding the appeal of wireless powershare as it relates to phones. So you want me to drain my phone to charge your phone? Um ... I just don't see a lot of people in the US going for this, even among couples, when battery packs are small and cheap and many are good for multiple charges.

It reminds me of an early iPhone app-gimmick where you and another person with the same app could "bump" iPhones to transfer data across. It worked, but nobody really used it after like two or three times.
    Did you really not read past the first sentence of the paragraph about wireless PowerShare? It’s not about charging from iPhone to iPhone. It’s about charging from iPhone to Apple Watch or iPhone to AirPods. I can say with 100 percent certainty I would use this to charge my Apple Watch or AirPods. I can’t tell you how often but often enough that I’d say this is a desirable feature. My wife would probably use the iPhone to Apple Watch feature on a daily basis. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    entropys said:

+1 
  • Reply 11 of 25
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    chasm said:

If you take a short business trip where you are trying to get everything into a carry on then you don't need a charger for your watch.   That's great.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    MplsP said:
    williamh said:
    I think the use would be that you could just take your laptop and not need to take a charging mat, too. I.e. get dual use out of your laptop, not use the laptop instead of the charging mat. 

Ive done this in the past when traveling - I bring my laptop and a cable and plug my iPhone into my laptop. 
    Again, that is an entirely different use case than traveling without a Mac, which is relatively much larger and heavier than AirPower. Therefor it is not a “better” solution, because they are different solutions to different use cases. 
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    USB-PD would be awesome, but fer cryin' out loud, ditch the damn Lightning connector and just put a damn USB-C port in the phone.

There used to be acceptable arguments for having to carry one charging cord for the laptop, another for the headphones, and yet another for the phone. Not anymore, and it's now annoying that the biggest proponent of the connector is so inconsistent about implementing it.
    mazda 3s
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    chasm said:

I've had a lot of trouble with chargers when traveling. I definitely would have appreciated being able to charge my Apple Watch or AirPods on-the-go with my phone.

(yes, I'm aware the AirPods use the same charger as the phone; you just hit all these odd edge cases)

But that said, I don't think Apple is terribly good at catering to edge cases, so I'm skeptical of all this.
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    What has been really bad over the years with the iPhone and iPads is that devices over $1000 still come with the lightning port which has very very slow data transfer speeds. If you sync your iPhone or iPad with your MacBook Pro using iTunes to do a sync/backup for calendar,contacts,music,photos and notes then you know what I am talking about as it takes ages to do a sync because it needs to do a backup first then sync. This never made sense to me how an iphone and ipad could have such strong processors which showed off their high benchmark scores only to sync at snail like speeds from what feels like a computer from the 80’s or 90’s. We need a USB-C Port with actual data transfer speeds available to us.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    What has been really bad over the years with the iPhone and iPads is that devices over $1000 still come with the lightning port which has very very slow data transfer speeds. If you sync your iPhone or iPad with your MacBook Pro using iTunes to do a sync/backup for calendar,contacts,music,photos and notes then you know what I am talking about as it takes ages to do a sync because it needs to do a backup first then sync. This never made sense to me how an iphone and ipad could have such strong processors which showed off their high benchmark scores only to sync at snail like speeds from what feels like a computer from the 80’s or 90’s. We need a USB-C Port with actual data transfer speeds available to us.
    Lightning actually supports USB 3.0. The most recent camera to lightning adapter supports it. I guess because so few people actually backup/restore their phones to a computer they haven’t found it necessary to release yet another updated lightning cable. Third party cables could support it if they wanted to. Why are you still backing your phone up to a computer?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Why are you still backing your phone up to a computer?

As though there's something wrong with that. LOL

cornchipbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobraappleexpat
  • Reply 18 of 25
    payeco said:
    Lightning actually supports USB 3.0. 
    Yes, but not all Apple devices do. My wife's iPad Pro support USB3 transfers but our iPhone XSs do not.

payeco said:
    The most recent camera to lightning adapter supports it.
    Only on devices that are USB3 capable. iPhones and most iPads are not.

payeco said:
    I guess because so few people actually backup/restore their phones to a computer they haven’t found it necessary to release yet another updated lightning cable. Third party cables could support it if they wanted to.
    Nope. Using a USB3 cable won't improve the speed coming from and going to a USB2 port.

payeco said:
    Why are you still backing your phone up to a computer?
    There are good reasons to do so, redundancy or privacy being obvious ones, but there's more to transfers than just backups. Getting photos into the computer is another. In my case, I use my iPhone as a portable screening device so I regularly transfer several Gb of video onto it. It's silly that a device so otherwise sophisticated is so lousy at data transfers. It would be easier to swallow if wireless were significantly faster, but unfortunately it isn't. Maybe it's the storage system that's the bottleneck.
    edited March 2019 appleexpatgatorguy
  • Reply 19 of 25
    payeco said:
    Lightning actually supports USB 3.0. The most recent camera to lightning adapter supports it. I guess because so few people actually backup/restore their phones to a computer they haven’t found it necessary to release yet another updated lightning cable. Third party cables could support it if they wanted to. Why are you still backing your phone up to a computer?
    Why backup and store some where else when you can store and backup at home or your office especially when you have a computer and storage devices at home. This is the better and safer way to do a backup. I would rather I manage my own backups then someone else some where else doing this for me.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 20 of 25
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    williamh said:
    Why? Just plug your iPhone into your MB to charge it, and flip it over to charge your AirPods or Watch. Or, assuming AirPower has USB, plug that into your laptop and charge all three. 
    watto_cobra