G4 Mirror Drives Fan Noise - A Must To Change?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I kow this has probably been covered before, so just a real quick answer.

I have a mirror drive G4 dual 1 gig from October, 2002.

It does have a slght humming noise, louder than normal, but not painfully distracting.

Should I change fan through Apple program? Is this easy to do. My understanding is that it is just a cosmetic change to lower sound, but is not required, ie, machine will be fine without it.

Please give me ideas. :eek:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    If it's not worth 20 bucks to you to quiet your machine down a bit, then there is no reason to do it. I have already ordered the replacement because my computer is very loud, especially in the poor acoustic environment I use it in. I already had to replace the PSU fans with quieter ones, and while it got rid of the high pitched whines, it's still loud.

It's not a cosmetic change. The power supply replacement has a lower power rating and better cooling on the internals with lower rpm and in-turn lower dB rated fans blowing air through it. Your machine will run fine with either the original PSU or the replacement PSU. The replacement is the same PSU that is in the new MDDs (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

This procedure wasn't too hard and swapping out the PSU should be easier. If you've installed any hard drives or optical drives?basically if you have any experience working inside of your computer?you shouldn't have trouble reading the directions to swap the PSU.

After that my plan is to get a Verax CPU fan kit when it comes out in April. This should drop my operating noise level to around 30dB, a big jump from the 50+dB out of the box. I'm eager for my Mac to finally have acceptable noise levels.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    for the last time....

<a href="http://www.endpcnoise.com"; target="_blank">http://www.endpcnoise.com</a>;

get the zalman fans & the nexus psu if it

will work on the mac mobo

worth every penny...i just put those in all

8 machines around the house (inclu 1 sun u10)

everythings dead quiet now
  • Reply 3 of 4
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    And if you value your AppleCare, you'll do it Apple's way.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FrostyMMB

After that my plan is to get a Verax CPU fan kit when it comes out in April. This should drop my operating noise level to around 30dB, a big jump from the 50+dB out of the box. I'm eager for my Mac to finally have acceptable noise levels.

On G4noise, there are some first impressions (incl. movie) from the Verax booth at CeBIT. Looks promising.