Video: Everything to expect at Apple's upcoming March 25th event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2019
Now that Apple has, presumably, gotten the big spring hardware announcements out of the way, it's clear that the March 25 event will be all about services. AppleInsider looks at what to expect during Apple's "Its show time" event.

Based on the regular sources, and in this case especially from examining Apple's deals with other companies, here's what you can expect to see on March 25. We most likely won't get any more hardware announcements at the event, but in that regard, there are still many products due to come during the rest of the year.

Show time

Continuing Apple's penchant for cryptic invitations, the one for the March 25 event is headed "It's show time." The invitation isn't a static image, though, nor is it quite like last October's event where hundreds of different images were then made into an animation. This time Apple ran an old-style film countdown before unveiling a regular white Apple logo on a black background.

Given the word 'show' and the film-style intro, it does look as if this event will be all about Apple's forthcoming video service.

However, prior rumors about the event kept repeating that the real highlight of the launch event will be Apple's subscription service of newspapers and magazines. What's most likely is that at various times in the last few months, Apple has not been certain of exactly what news it would be able to show about its video service.

While the service itself is a technical challenge and Apple is extremely used to those, it also depends on the service's programming. Apple has made videos for decades but never on this scale and you can't become a major studio overnight. Apple has been commissioning dramas and comedies, plus it's been negotiating rights in a new and enormous field where it is competing with very different players than its used to.

Now, though, we know that there are at least 11 shows that have either been finished or at least have wrapped principle photography. This means Apple has footage to show plus, of course, it has all of the cast and crew talent that it has hired.

So if you have a billion dollars' worth of shows to pick from and you can have the likes of Oprah Winfrey, JJ Abrams, Jennifer Garner and Steve Carrell at your launch, Apple's video service is going to outshine any newspaper subscription package.

Time to show

This is not going to be another AirPower or even Mac Pro situation where Apple announces something and then we have to wait years to see it. The video streaming service will be coming as soon after this March 25 event as humanly possible.

Or in theory it will be, anyway. There have also been reports that claim the service won't launch for another several months.

This is probably down to the same uncertainty over what deals were going to be ready in time, but not definitely. While we have certain specifics such as Netflix saying it will not provide programming to the service, it's likely that many deals will still be being negotiated even now.

So Apple will have more than enough material to announce, but it's still possible that the service may have to start small and ramp up as deals are confirmed.

What to read

If the video service is surely, inevitably going to dominate Apple's launch, we are still expecting to see the unveiling of its expanded news and magazine offering.

From those ">publishers who are balking at the deals Apple is offering, we know that Apple has been offering deals for what has been rumored to be called "Apple News Magazines".

That name was seemingly confirmed in beta versions of iOS 12.2 which also indicated that payments will be linked to your iTunes account. There also appears to be what's going to be called a bundle subscription, which could mean one fee for "Apple News Magazines," Apple Music, and the forthcoming Apple video service.

A subscription to "Apple News Magazines" by itself is rumored to cost $10 per month, the same as an individual subscription to Apple Music.

This follows Apple's acquisition of Texture, a service that offered access to magazines. The Apple version is expected to continue with magazines but also add newspapers.

Apple bought Texture in 2018 as the basis for its forthcoming news and magazine service
Apple bought Texture in 2018 as the basis for its forthcoming news and magazine service

However, there are reports of issues over just how it will do that, and specifically which titles it can carry. Reportedly, Apple is planning to take 50 percent of the income from the subscription and at least some publishers are balking at that.

Hardware

We've seen small and hardware large updates in the week leading up to this March 25 event, and that would seem to make it certain we won't get any in the event itself.

Hardware will not be completely absent, however, as if Apple has the world's attention focused on the shows its commissioned and the stars who've made them, the company is going to make it clear just what devices you should watch them on -- and that means Apple's gear, at least to start.

The show's the thing

It's never just a case of what's ready to be launched. It is always a case of what Apple can make the most impact with and that involves both launching major products and making sure that they don't compete with each other for attention too much. Apple wants everyone buying everything, it doesn't want us diverted by too many options.

That makes us interested to see how it will present both the video and the news services. The most likely route is for the company to talk up the news service first and then move on to the bigger part of the event.

However, this event is going to get even more attention than usual because of the talent making the video service. That might well make it irresistible for the firm to double down on how it uses security as a selling point for its devices. Early in March 2019, the company bought and registered the website domain name PrivacyIsImportant.com. There's still nothing on that site, nothing whatsoever, but we can well see Apple launching it at an event.

We'll know on March 25 and Apple has announced that, as ever, the event will be streamed live. It'll be on the company's website but, of course, also on Apple TV.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    Thank you for the video. It does though make me wonder why would I need an Apple "credit card."  Sure it might come with perks like 3% off Apple hardware (ha ha, probably not), but what would make an Apple credit card so much better than any other plastic card we already have filling our wallets?  Isn't Apple Pay all about getting rid of the plastic?
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 22
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    jdw said:
    Thank you for the video. It does though make me wonder why would I need an Apple "credit card."  Sure it might come with perks like 3% off Apple hardware (ha ha, probably not), but what would make an Apple credit card so much better than any other plastic card we already have filling our wallets?  Isn't Apple Pay all about getting rid of the plastic?
    The card doesn’t have to be physical.  Apple might be taking the position that replacing your existing bank or credit card provider removes one more entity where your info can be hacked.  Apple positioning themselves as an end-to-end provider implies only one entity, and that entity being a huge tech company that knows a lot more about electronic security that even the biggest banks.  That’s debatable; I’m just saying that might be the stance Apple takes on the matter.  
    edited March 2019 dewmeHenryDJP
  • Reply 3 of 22
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    jdw said:
    The card doesn’t have to be physical.  Apple might be taking the position that replacing your existing bank or credit card provider removes one more entity where your info can be hacked.  Apple positioning themselves as an end-to-end provider implies only one entity, and that entity being a huge tech company that knows a lot more about electronic security that even the biggest banks.  That’s debatable; I’m just saying that might be the stance Apple takes on the matter.  
    I would seriously consider an Apple credit card.  Considering how many times my other bank kept sending me replacement cards due to breaches, just got fed up with the lax security controls that they have in place.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jdw said:
    Isn't Apple Pay all about getting rid of the plastic?
    Since every Apple Pay card is tied to a physical card, including a debit card with Apple Pay Cash, I'd say that's a clear no. What Apple Pay does is allow you to not have to carry your less secure, physical cards on your person when you're also in possession of certain Apple devices.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    He's probably right too, sadly. As I and many others have said before although contradicted by 'experts' AAPL shares have no connection to reality.

Cramer Remix: Apple could decline, no matter what new products it announces on Monday

edited March 2019
  • Reply 6 of 22
    The unveiling of Apple's products and services lately... just doesn't seem special anymore as it once was.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    MacPro said:
    He's probably right too, sadly. As I and many others have said before although contradicted by 'experts' AAPL shares have no connection to reality.

Cramer Remix: Apple could decline, no matter what new products it announces on Monday

I can only think of a few Apple events where AAPL was up at the end of the trading day, and it never seemed to matter what was, or what was not, announced.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    MacPro said:

I can only think of a few Apple events where AAPL was up at the end of the trading day, and it never seemed to matter what was, or what was not, announced.
    Will there be an update to iTunes?  I'm uncertain about the fate of the software.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 9 of 22
    The only thing that I am excited about is the possible credit card, how it’s linked to ApplePay (I am guessing it’ll be a contactless card) and (hopefully) a vision for the future of Apple’s payment ecosystem. 

The rest of it is largely ‘blah’ from my (insignificant) standpoint. 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 10 of 22
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The most significant part of this video was the off-hand comment that 'Apple has already gotten the hardware stuff out of the way'... Evidence continues beat us over the head that what separates Apple from the rest is their software and services. Their hardware is mostly just a delivery vehicle for those things that do the actual work and make people's lives better. But, we continue to over-focus on the hardware, salivate over it when it is released, and compare it, its technical specs (and Apple's margins) to those of lesser companies...
    canukstorm
  • Reply 11 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    MacPro said:

Agreed.  If Apple came out with a perpetual motion device AAPL would sink after the presentation ... I'd add lol, but it 'ain't funny!
    edited March 2019 cornchip
  • Reply 12 of 22
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Don’t expect a bug bounty program for MacOS to be announced... (beating a dead horse with this post)

Tesla gets it, they recently gave away a car...

“We develop our cars with the highest standards of safety in every respect, and our work with the security research community is invaluable to us.Since launching our bug bounty program in 2014 – thefirst to include a connected consumer vehicle– we have continuously increased our investments into partnerships with security researchers to ensure that all Tesla owners constantly benefit from the brightest minds in the community. We look forward to learning about, and rewarding, great work in Pwn2Own so that we can continue to improve our products and our approach to designing inherently secure systems.”

“Tesla has also been fairly quick to fix vulnerabilities exposed by white hat hackers.”

https://electrek.co/2019/03/23/tesla-model-3-hacker-competition-crack/amp/

Shaming Apple falls on deaf ears... but got to try.  Security is always #1 in importance.

Tesla’s hardware reliability has declined recently as they’ve moved to mass production, but for this I’ll consider them.

edited March 2019
  • Reply 13 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Soli said:
    jdw said:
    Isn't Apple Pay all about getting rid of the plastic?
    Since every Apple Pay card is tied to a physical card, including a debit card with Apple Pay Cash, I'd say that's a clear no. What Apple Pay does is allow you to not have to carry your less secure, physical cards on your person when you're also in possession of certain Apple devices.
    Isn’t your Apple Pay Cash “card” independent of a particular plastic card? The Apple Pay Cash card is accessible in Wallet. This week I sent someone Apple Pay Cash, but in order to transfer it out to their bank, they had to link their bank’s routing info. It wasn’t sufficient to have a debit card attached to their Apple Pay Wallet. This is a bit different than something like Square or Veno which use the debit card for transfers.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 22

jgojcaj said:
    The unveiling of Apple's products and services lately... just doesn't seem special anymore as it once was.
    Says you. I watch the announcements on baited breath, and judging by the spiked forum activity every time, I’m not alone. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 15 of 22

Don’t expect a bug bounty program for MacOS to be announced... (beating a dead horse with this post)

Tesla gets it, they recently gave away a car...

“We develop our cars with the highest standards of safety in every respect, and our work with the security research community is invaluable to us.Since launching our bug bounty program in 2014 – thefirst to include a connected consumer vehicle– we have continuously increased our investments into partnerships with security researchers to ensure that all Tesla owners constantly benefit from the brightest minds in the community. We look forward to learning about, and rewarding, great work in Pwn2Own so that we can continue to improve our products and our approach to designing inherently secure systems.”

“Tesla has also been fairly quick to fix vulnerabilities exposed by white hat hackers.”

https://electrek.co/2019/03/23/tesla-model-3-hacker-competition-crack/amp/

Shaming Apple falls on deaf ears... but got to try.  Security is always #1 in importance.

Tesla’s hardware reliability has declined recently as they’ve moved to mass production, but for this I’ll consider them.

Huh? They already have bounties on their most popular platforms, and there was recently a highly publicized facetime bug addressed by public input. Your statement doesn’t jive with reality. The lack of a bounty program for macOS currently doesn’t equal deaf ears. 
  • Reply 16 of 22
    What about the ipod touch update? Do y’all think it has room at this event? Perhaps being marketed as a gaming device with Apple’s new gaming subscription service?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    wattoukwattouk Posts: 50member
    I hope that there is a new Apple TV on show, just a minor spec upgrade would do and it would be good if it had a built in speaker to listen out for Hey Siri instead of having to press the button on the remote.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    "Subscriptions to HBO, Showtime, Starz will apparently cost $9.99 each as part of Apple’s TV app, and premium Apple News will also carry a $9.99 price tag." Also Apple original content will not be free despite recent rumors to the contrary. That's according to a NEW rumor. :)

Apple staff folks are saying Apple's new TV service is a “Netflix killer”, according to the WSJ. 

FWIW $9.99 is also the priced for Apple News, again according to the WSJ. 
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/with-the-iphone-sputtering-apple-bets-its-future-on-tv-and-news-11553437018?mod=hp_lead_pos5
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 19 of 22
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    I can see an AAPL credit card being useful, depending on their premiums. I buy enough AAPL stuff that any rewards would be worth it if at least 2%. Most cards now offer a "signing bonus" so it will be interesting to see what they come up with. 3% cash back on Apple Pay purchases on the AAPL credit card? I'm in.

The services subscription stuff will be interesting to watch revealed, but almost for sure I won't be signing up. None of that is interesting enough to me to pay for. 
  • Reply 20 of 22
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

wattouk said:
    I hope that there is a new Apple TV on show, just a minor spec upgrade would do and it would be good if it had a built in speaker to listen out for Hey Siri instead of having to press the button on the remote.
    Apple TV needs a do-over. I've really come to dislike the remote. If it had a couple of tuners and a coax cable for an OTA antenna, they'd really have something. But there's no way to monetize that, so it will never, ever happen.

AAPL could do something about advertising too. Advertizers like a target audience, and consumers hate being monetized. You can get both with a service that allows consumers to opt in with preferences for an account that pays them. Watch a 15s commercial related to something you preferred get $.01 to an account for something. Let advertisers bid with congestion pricing for specific times of day when more people watching. Eh. Apple not innovating like this anymore. They have a room full guys watching sports to see what they might do some time in the future. Call Eddy Music in to see if he'll bring the brewskis.