Huawei's CFO probably owns more Apple products than you

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    longfang said:
    Witch Hunt!

or in the words of the Agent Orange

Which hunt!

if it’s good for the goose then it must be good for the gander right? You not a bunch of hypocrites are you?
    No, since we don’t sell tech to Iran. 
  • Reply 22 of 54
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member

avon b7 said:
    larryjw said: I’m certain Apple engineers own the latest foldable Samsung phone and they’ve had many meetings discussing and evaluating the product. 
    My own guess would be that Samsung's folding phone doesn't hold any surprises for Apple. Folding screen tech has been around for awhile, and Apple has always been one of the companies rumored to be working with it. 
    With both the Samsung and the Huawei devices, the screen tech was not really an issue. The head scratching went into the hinges.
    Nor is Apple a newcomer to mechanical engineering or hinges in particular, an area they have excelled in. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 54
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member

avon b7 said:
    larryjw said: I’m certain Apple engineers own the latest foldable Samsung phone and they’ve had many meetings discussing and evaluating the product. 
    My own guess would be that Samsung's folding phone doesn't hold any surprises for Apple. Folding screen tech has been around for awhile, and Apple has always been one of the companies rumored to be working with it. 
    With both the Samsung and the Huawei devices, the screen tech was not really an issue. The head scratching went into the hinges.
    Nor is Apple a newcomer to mechanical engineering or hinges in particular, an area they have excelled in. 
    So all we need to do is wait patiently for an iPhone with a hinge and pray they don't take decisions like the one that blew up recently ('flexgate') or the iMac hinge problem etc.

2021?

Either way, the screen tech isn't as much of an issue as the hinge tech (and how to protect it from scuffing up).
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 54
    In a related matter, the European commission called bull on Trump's attacks on Huawei. 

And, the case against Meng is largely in the same status:   she is charged with violating Trump's allegations and sanctions on Iran which the rest of the world (except the far right) rejects as bogus, politically motivated rhetoric.

I am not far right. I do not care for Trump. But the Chinese government has been, and continues to be, the greatest threat to cybersecurity to the US. I would imagine that extends to NATO nations as well.
    tmayapplesnorangeswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 54
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    flydog said:
    This isn't surprising at all.  It's hard to reverse engineer anything unless you have the original to take apart. 
    Bullshit. As if. She's got people for that. She doesn't need to use Apple kit for any reason. But she chooses to.

Those were the items that she was carrying along with her in person. 

And that's what the article is based on. There was no other mention of any other Apple products. The only speculation was yours as far as her cache is concerned. Her possession of Apple products for 'research' is rampant speculation.

Three items is a pretty weak cache. Like many others here, my cache is considerably larger than three items. I have a tonne of Apple kit, and am a lightweight compared to some of my acquaintances. That's not even counting legacy gear.

randominternetpersoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The last thing invented in China was gunpowder. Everything since then has been copied or stolen, including Communism.
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 54
    longfanglongfang Posts: 451member
    longfang said:
    Witch Hunt!

Which hunt!

if it’s good for the goose then it must be good for the gander right? You not a bunch of hypocrites are you?
    You mean not anymore allegedly. F-14’s Iran-Contra. When it’s convenient the US is more than happy to break it own sanctions, and if caught put on a show trial then grant clemency to yhe scapegoats after a couple years.
    GeorgeBMaccornchip
  • Reply 28 of 54
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    longfang said:
    longfang said:
    Witch Hunt!

Which hunt!

You mean not anymore allegedly. F-14’s Iran-Contra. When it’s convenient the US is more than happy to break it own sanctions, and if caught put on a show trial then grant clemency to yhe scapegoats after a couple years.
    It wasn't about F-14's nor parts for F-14's. The F-14's were bought during the era of the Shah, and no parts were subsequently available from the U.S. Logistical system.

Iran wanted TOW anti-armor, and Hawk anti-aircraft missiles for its ongoing war with Iraq. Members of the Administration, Military, and CIA, were all involved. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 54
    larryjw said:
    Of course. There isn’t a company in existence which doesn’t own rival products of other companies. 

There isn’t a sports team in existence which doesn’t scout out their opponents

I’m certain Apple engineers own the latest foldable Samsung phone and they’ve had many meetings discussing and evaluating the product. 

You can’t do battle in the market without knowing the strengths and weaknesses of other products,

Reverse engineering is perfectly legal. 
    Sure, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't find Elon Musk driving around in a Lexus or the CFO of Gulfstream flying to a business trip in a Lear Jet.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 54
    macgui said:

Three items is a pretty weak cache. Like many others here, my cache is considerably larger than three items. I have a tonne of Apple kit, and am a lightweight compared to some of my acquaintances. That's not even counting legacy gear.

Agreed.  Seems like click bait to me.  I expect the typical AI reader regularly uses at least 3 Apple devices.  
    macguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 54

And, the case against Meng is largely in the same status:   she is charged with violating Trump's allegations and sanctions on Iran which the rest of the world (except the far right) rejects as bogus, politically motivated rhetoric.

These were allegations from during the Obama administration. Get your facts straight.

It just came to fruition recently, when Trump happened to be President. 

And, please stop being such a pathetic apologist for theft.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 54
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    flippysch said:
    In a related matter, the European commission called bull on Trump's attacks on Huawei. 

I am not far right. I do not care for Trump. But the Chinese government has been, and continues to be, the greatest threat to cybersecurity to the US. I would imagine that extends to NATO nations as well.
    It was Russia who attacked us to change our election.   Don't fall for the distraction.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    lkrupp said:
    The last thing invented in China was gunpowder. Everything since then has been copied or stolen, including Communism.
    We said the same thing about Japanese radios, cars and steel -- and kept saying it till they beat us into the ground.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    This article is a bit of a prejudice. Huawei never officially ban employees from using Apple products. Actually in certain departments, they have to. 

For that poor girl being punished oh come on, you’re the PR department and you post official news with rival’s product? That’s a serious mistake. And that girl done it outside of office hour with her private phone.  
    I think we’ve found a Chinese astroturfer, y’all. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 54
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I just feel bad for Porsche people having to use this crap.
    Porsche design is not part of the car manufacturer. Porsche cars belongs to Volkswagen AG, and the Porsche family owns a significant part of VW.

The design operation is a separate entity.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    larryjw said:
    Of course. There isn’t a company in existence which doesn’t own rival products of other companies. 

There isn’t a sports team in existence which doesn’t scout out their opponents

I’m certain Apple engineers own the latest foldable Samsung phone and they’ve had many meetings discussing and evaluating the product. 

You can’t do battle in the market without knowing the strengths and weaknesses of other products,

Reverse engineering is perfectly legal. 
    Sure, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't find Elon Musk driving around in a Lexus or the CFO of Gulfstream flying to a business trip in a Lear Jet.
    Not that many corporate leaders know much of anything about the products and services they offer — they push spreadsheets. But it’s guaranteed their engineers know rivals’ products in detail. 

PS: Before Tesla, I’m sure Musk and Lexus were an item. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 54
    lkrupp said:
    We said the same thing about Japanese radios, cars and steel -- and kept saying it till they beat us into the ground.
    Exactly right. And the United Kingdom, once the most powerful country of the world, was just as dismissive against the United States. And when they got in trouble in WW2 and needed our help, the UK had to forfeit their control of the seas to the United States. It will be a sad day if we forfeit it to China. We need to pay attention and not underestimate our competition.
    muthuk_vanalingamtmayGeorgeBMaccornchip
  • Reply 38 of 54
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    I just feel bad for Porsche people having to use this crap.
    I’m sorry… did I miss something?
    avon b7
  • Reply 39 of 54
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member

From Reuters:
    "The European Commission will next week urge EU countries to share more data to tackle cybersecurity risks related to 5G networks but will ignore U.S. calls to ban Huawei Technologies  ...  The United States has lobbied Europe to shut out Huawei, saying its equipment could be used by the Chinese government for espionage. Huawei has strongly rejected the allegations and earlier this month sued the U.S. government over the issue  ...   The Commission will not call for a European ban on global market leader Huawei, leaving it to EU countries to decide on national security grounds ...   The Commission said the recommendation would stress a common EU approach to security risks to 5G networks. "

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-huawei-tech-exclusive/exclusive-eu-to-drop-threat-of-huawei-ban-but-wants-5g-risks-monitored-sources-idUSKCN1R32K3

When you go around insulting other leaders at official meetings, slapping tariffs on allies, and otherwise being a general boor, don't be surprised if the others don't go along when you ask a favour.

EDIT: Oh and I want to add one other thing. If Trump gets his "deal" with China I expect the charges to magically disappear.
    edited March 2019 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 54
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    DAalseth said:

From Reuters:
    "The European Commission will next week urge EU countries to share more data to tackle cybersecurity risks related to 5G networks but will ignore U.S. calls to ban Huawei Technologies  ...  The United States has lobbied Europe to shut out Huawei, saying its equipment could be used by the Chinese government for espionage. Huawei has strongly rejected the allegations and earlier this month sued the U.S. government over the issue  ...   The Commission will not call for a European ban on global market leader Huawei, leaving it to EU countries to decide on national security grounds ...   The Commission said the recommendation would stress a common EU approach to security risks to 5G networks. "

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-huawei-tech-exclusive/exclusive-eu-to-drop-threat-of-huawei-ban-but-wants-5g-risks-monitored-sources-idUSKCN1R32K3

When you go around insulting other leaders at official meetings, slapping tariffs on allies, and otherwise being a general boor, don't be surprised if the others don't go along when you ask a favour.

EDIT: Oh and I want to add one other thing. If Trump gets his "deal" with China I expect the charges to magically disappear.
    It's interesting how little the EU appears to be concerned by China's expansionism, but it is also notable that the few that are looking at signing on the the Belt Road Initiative, are at least having some qualms about their "deal with the devil". All we ever hear from Huawei supporters is what a great and innovative company, but little about all of the technology that was illegally obtained by China over the years, and still, there are valid questions about Huawei's links to the Chinese Government, CCP, and PLA.

You might want to note that China hasn't exactly been inactive in support of Huawei. If anything, China has been very aggressive.  It isn't coincidental that two Canadians were picked up and charged in China, and have been held without legal assistance and likely looking at extensive prison terms in conditions far from Meng's house arrest and legal support in Vancouver.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/powerandpolitics/canada-china-saint-jacques-canola-response-1.5068765

Then of course, there were the cancelled Canola contracts with Canadian farmers. If you look at how China reacts around the world when liberal democracies choose security over the economics of Huawei, you will see a pattern of economic warfare. Fair enough, but that only strengthens the case of those that consider Huawei an integral part of China's foreign policy and Intelligence missions.

But of course, the U.S. is the villain here. /s
    edited March 2019 beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra