Mac mini 2018 – RAM no longer user upgradeable

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
I've just been informed that if I want the third party (Micron/Crucial) RAM installed in my brand new Mac mini, I need to take it into my local Apple Retail Store or AASP, and have them install it for me.

I'm not sure when this changed – I know that the Mac mini 2018 used to have user upgradeable RAM.

Apple can't give me an estimate for how much this is going to cost.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    I've just been informed that if I want the third party (Micron/Crucial) RAM installed in my brand new Mac mini, I need to take it into my local Apple Retail Store or AASP, and have them install it for me.

I'm not sure when this changed – I know that the Mac mini 2018 used to have user upgradeable RAM.

It still has relatively accessible RAM. The only difference is that in one of the steps, you need a T4 security bit.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 2 of 4
    No.

My machine is only 8 days old (shipped direct from the factory).

They've changed the six screws on the base (I've tired the T5/6 security screws, and it looks as though the screws are now something like T3/4 security screws).

I've just spoken to Apple, and whilst they're confirming the change, they can't confirm when it changed – presumably between me ordering the build, and it being delivered.

They've advised that I should take the Mac mini, and the third party RAM which I've already purchased, into my local Apple Store and they will perform the upgrade for me.
  • Reply 3 of 4

It still has relatively accessible RAM. The only difference is that in one of the steps, you need a T4 security bit.
    I see you edited your reply, when you realised you were in error?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

I see you edited your reply, when you realised you were in error?
    I edited my reply when I found out what the security bit you needed was. If you've got the driver kit we recommend, then you've got the bit.

The RAM is still no more, or no less, accessible than it was when the machine launched.